Beach

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Beach

Post by SpudUk » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Hello Folks,

Anyone ever tried to model a beach on their railway? Curious as to how others have done this

Chris
Chris Auckland

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Ok, maybe it´s easier on an indoor line .... :D

ImageK&NWLR: Spring cleaning begins on the beach in front of the harbour loop by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Fishing boat by kandnwlr, on Flickr

Ok, they´re not all on the indoor line ....

Image055 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Harbour beach by kandnwlr, on Flickr

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm

The closest I've got to a beach in my garden is at Sequoia Falls where 'water' falls down rocks and gathers in a pool/lake over which the CLR runs on the girder bridge.
I've avoided using real water by using small blue slate chippings. While this isn't ideal it avoids the problems with using real water in the garden.

The photo isn't the most useful but the blue slates can be seen at the bottom right of the photo with an offcut of green lawn edging holding back the dry land. Sequoia Falls has a small halt on the CLR with a set of steps allowing visitors to get down to 'water' level for swimming or angling purposes.

Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:48 pm

andymctractor:103640 wrote:The closest I've got to a beach in my garden is at Sequoia Falls where 'water' falls down rocks and gathers in a pool/lake over which the CLR runs on the girder bridge.
I've avoided using real water by using small blue slate chippings.  While this isn't ideal it avoids the problems with using real water in the garden.  

The photo isn't the most useful but the blue slates can be seen at the bottom right of the photo with an offcut of green lawn edging holding back the dry land.  Sequoia Falls has a small halt on the CLR with a set of steps allowing visitors to get down to 'water' level for swimming or angling purposes.
Now that´s very nice. I´ve been wondering how to do the "Access to the Beach" thing on the K&NWLR.

Well played that man.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:56 pm

kandnwlr:103641 wrote:Now that´s very nice. I´ve been wondering how to do the "Access to the Beach" thing on the K&NWLR.

Well played that man.
I submitted a small article to the SMT covering how I built the halt at Sequoia Falls with a little bit on the public stairway down to the beach. Of course I don't know how much if any of it will get into SMT but it MAY be in the belated August edition.

Regards
Andy
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:42 pm

For a sandy beach effect I can say now, having tried it myself.... don't try to stick sand down with SBR. For some reason the sand doesn't allow the SBR to set all the way through and will dissolve when it rains. Ballast on the other hand sticks down very well using the same material.
I hope this is useful and saves you finding out the hard way.