Brass stencil from 16mmNGM

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Brass stencil from 16mmNGM

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:55 pm

As im sure most of you will know, we recieved a nice brass stencil amongst other bits n bobs in the latest edition of 16mm Today.

Now I would like to put this stencil to use straight away as I reckon it will instantly add some charm and realism to some rather plain wagons. I would like to know if I am right in thinking that Tare is the unloaded weight of the wagon and tons is what it can be loaded up to?

Also, if anyone knows what loadings the ex MOD Ballast Wagons, Powder Vans and Brake Vans would have. i.e. what is their Tare and Tons. I have done some brief "googleing" but so far found nothing. Brief estimations will do if nothing else.

I went to add these to the 16mmNGM free wagon and then thought (once i had added one section of paint!) how they would be displayed. would they be as follows;

Type 1 (where the numbers are before the letters) e.g.
NN Tons
NN Tare

Type 2 (basically the other way around) e.g.
Tons NN
Tare NN

Note: NN stands for number, number e.g 12 tons

Or a mix and match??

Some help please
:)
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:40 pm

If you look up Swanswood Garden Railways there is an example of a MOD wagon with numbers etc on the side.
Ian of the SLR(N)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Given that this brakevan is on a MOD chassis, www.bwlr.co.uk/goods.php?flag=gd10 , I would presume that 4 tons would be the limit on all of the vehicles.

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for the hep so far,

I'm still looking for the perfect soloution but 4 tons looks the best so far. No tare though.

I do know that the WHR(P) (or WHHR - Welsh Highland Heritage Railway - as it is now called) has several ex MOD wagons and i think these are marked, yet all of the photos i can find aren't clear enough to see the markings. :(

i would go and get on with painting them on, but all the bristles off my smallest paintbrush have just fallen out. oops  :shock: s'pose i will need a new one now.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR

MoelygestLR
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Oily Rag wrote:4 Tons (Load) is pretty average for NG wagons.
The Tare (unladen weight) would vary depending on the construction of the wagon and would be something between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 tons.
It would be written as  2 - 11 - 3  which means 2 Ton (t)- 11 Hundredweight (cwt)) and 3 Stone (s)
Thanks Eric, that makes much more sense. It matches up with what little images i have found on the net.
Thanks,

Paul Wood
MGLR