ØVJ at the moment...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Re: ØVJ at the moment...

Post by St.Michael » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 pm

About the closing of Regner;I got it from Andrew M at the Kwnlr(or something alike)

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 pm

The version I heard was that Regner were undergoing reorganisation, so production is unaffected. Perhaps someone with better information than us on the periphery of things will be able to set us straight.

Greetings from Virginia!
Peter in VA
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 am

IrishPeter wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 pm The version I heard was that Regner were undergoing reorganisation, so production is unaffected. Perhaps someone with better information than us on the periphery of things will be able to set us straight.

Greetings from Virginia!
Peter in VA
According to mamod, regner have unfortunately gone into receivership
Great garden line by the way
Blokes with tea can build anything

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 pm

From what I've seen on the 7/8th lounge it seems it is a reorganisation to protect the family assets from claims on the business but trading continues....at post brexit prices :cry:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 pm

St.Michael wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm
daan wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:08 pm Excellent! I love the small teacup on the steamheader in the locomotive.. About the worst nightmare derailments: You could add a catchrail in the curve. It is prototypicall and it will help to guide a derailed wagon or locomotive into safety.
You can easily make one by screwing brass screws into the sleepers at the right distance and solder a spare piece of rail onto it.
Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Thank you Daan for your kind comments. I'ts a good idea with the catch rail. Shall it be put on the outside on the outer rail, or on the inside of the inner rail?
Normally the catch rail is on the inside of the inner rail, why that is, I don't know..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:14 am

To "catch" the back of the flange of the inside wheel, and prevent the outer wheel riding up and over the outside rail. Were it on the outside, the inside wheel would already be off the track.
Grant.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Spot on Grant. The check gauge (gauge edge of the 'high' or 'outer' rail to the rubbing face of the check) is arguably the most important track measurement there is. Track construction and maintenance standards give far less tolerance in this dimension than they do in the actual track gauge. No where is this more so than at the crossing nose of a turnout, where accurate maintenance of check gauge is vital in keeping the wheel on the correct side of the 'V' as it passes through the wing gap.

In 32mm gauge, where the flangeway gap between the check rail and it's associated running rail is 2.8mm, the check gauge from the 'high' or 'outer' rail to the rubbing face of the check rail should be 29.2mm. If the track gauge is widened to ease the passage of wheels round a particularly sharp curve the check gauge remains unchanged at 29.2. It is the flangeway gap that is widened, adding the amount to the 2.8mm flangeway gap. For instance, if the gauge were widened to 32.67mm (a scale 1/2") then the flangeway gap would be increased to 3.47mm. These are miniscule changes to the measurements used in 16mm scale and difficult to accurately produce or control, but it is worth trying to get the check gauge right if nothing else. The running quality of rolling stock will be much more reliable if this is done.

I hope this makes sense - and I hope I've got my sums correct! :oops:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:46 pm

That makes lots of sense! thanks for the explanation.. I can imagine a catchrail on my own layout to be a succes on some places too. I had a derailment some time ago on a very sharp curve next to an embankment and I quickly catched the falling locomotive. Not being aware of the fact that a blowing safetyvalve changes into a hot water jet when the boiler is at an angle.. Because of a jacket I had on, I didn't burn myself, but if it would be at summertime, I would have had surely burnt arms. But the train was undamaged.. :lol:

A catch rail would be able to keep the train in it's track and I still have some spare track left.. :!:

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Yes. I agree. Very useful answers. Thank you :thumbleft: :idea: I'm walking around the rw, and finding some difficult places where a catchrail will be of much help..

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Guys,
Not being picky, but for info the normal ( UK ) expression is CHECKrail, not Catchrail. A Catch Point does exactly the opposite to a Checkrail and is designed to throw a run away vehicle off the rails to avoid it running onto another line and causing a disaster.
Philip

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 pm

My fault, I assumed the extra rail catches a vehicle which is derailing, preventing it form falling, so "catchrail" seemed obvious.. I guess the word "Checkrail" is to show the extra rail checks if the vehicle is still on the track.. :roll: or something like it.. :D

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 pm

You're quite correct Daan (as is Phillipy). a check rail is to 'check' a vehicle from straying off the track. A catch rail is to catch a vehicle which has already strayed onto the ground from straying too far from the straight and narrow. The only use of them I've come across in the UK is across long bridges to prevent vehicles plummeting over the edge!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"