ØVJ at the moment...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Many thanks for the pics. That gives us a good overview. And we would never have guessed about the children´s playhouse  :shock:  :D  :o

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 am

Hi all.
I like to show some more photos of the greenery from different angels

And finally, the stone curch from another angle:
Have a nice summer 8)

DickH
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DickH » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:44 pm

did not realise angels took photos - well impressed!!
Retirement has its benefits if only I can afford the railway!

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi all :D
Haven´t had too much to write about, but I´m dealing with some small house projects that I like to share with you. I have bought two "Swift sixteen Grounded guards van"
The reason is that I have some spots on the railway, where I wanted to add small buildings, and I found out that the grounded gards van fulfill my requirements.
The first one got out on the line this evening. It´s been placed on an old support construction ment for a crane that has been moved, long ago...
Maybe too much of the rusty colours, but I find the painting so funny so it´s hard to stop..
:oops:
I have opened an extra window, and added a chimney (It can be cold in the winters)
The function is a bit hard to define. Maybe a low budget signalling box, or a guardsmans hut... It is placed just before the entry (and exit) of "Stålbågågutua railway station" Any suggestions?
Regards from Michael

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 am

I would go with the idea of a signalman's hut to protect the junction between the two lines, and work the telephone block.  I would imagine that the maximum installation would have been German style semaphores guarding the approach from each direction, and then you would need a few pairs of wires running from the bottom of the cabin to ground level to represent the wires coming out of the signal frame.  Best not to model the whole wire run as dogs and other domestic wildlife tend to run into it.  

On the other hand, if NSB does "Stop until called forward" boards or something like that, you will just have to provide the pointsman with some flags, or something primitive like a 'T' signal in the V between the two lines, and one just sort of the Y of the junction the other way.  If you look at Hesselby at http://www.gotlandstaget.se there is an example on the platform, but the originals were lowered not raise to show 'go.'  The 'T' signal was used in Norway too as they were an early British signal type exported to both Norway and Sweden under the joint monarchy in the 1860s and 70s. Later Norwegian signalling tends to become more German, but somewhat simplified.  

Of course, I am learning that the narrow gauge lines had very little signalling.  The Setesdalsbanen, which I have been looking at recently, had none or very little, and seems to have handled traffic by telephone block with the point levers acting at point indicators.  The one place where there were signals was coming into Grovane where there seems to be a disused home signal on the approach to the mixed gauge track around the station/junction area.  

Hope this is helpful.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi all. It´s been a while since I posted something on this thread. And the reason is snow, snow, snow.. However, to day the sun have done some impact on it, and small peaces of ØVJ are coming out of the winter sleep.

Regards to all from Michael

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks for the post, it's always nice to see pictures of railways elsewhere in the world. Not a very cold winter here but enough damp and cold to make indoor modelling more attractive.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:05 pm

some lovly pictures I do like your church

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks for all the snow Pictures - but I can´t wait for spring to come on your line :D

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 am

Thank you for your kind comments. The backyard where ØVJ runs is beeing added a second railway in 1:13,3. I am going to build some meeting areas with the two lines. Hopefully that can result in some interesting photos. Here is one from this autumn when I was playing a bit surreal..
It is at the same place as the the very snowy place I´m showing up here...
A question to kandnwlr: Have you got your Herrmann loco yet?

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 am

:shock: The weather must be worse than I thought :?

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am

The first day of running. At last :D
I didn´t have to do any big adjustments. Just swept the line from smal gravel and old leafs, and we were back in buisnes.
The cat joined the reopening with great enthusiasm

Michael

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 03, 2015 10:57 am

Excellent! I´m glad to see a blue sky somewhere in Europe - at the moment we just have rain.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 pm

That cat looks remarkably realistic....................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 03, 2015 5:07 pm

MDLR:110575 wrote:That cat looks remarkably realistic....................
.... if a tad overscale

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon May 04, 2015 1:49 am

Guess we know where the warm spot out of the wind was that day!

The photos also administered the necessary kick up my behind to get my railway up and running again. I have been procrastinating.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am

kandnwlr:110577 wrote:
MDLR:110575 wrote:That cat looks remarkably realistic....................
.... if a tad overscale
Well, you know, with all that fur and hair everywhere, it was a bit complex making it smaller. But if you soake it in water, it will turn into scale 1:3,3 ;)

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 am

And the next day, the news about the railway running again even had reached Spiderman who came and suprvised the event

:shock: :shock:

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Some of you might have noticed that I´m building a 7/8 scale railway in addition to my sm32 line. And you might also have noticed that I´m building stuff in an awnuts kind of way... That leads me to the "industry" I´m showing here. The plant has different kind of tasks, but some important ones are: It is beeing built as a meetingpoint between the to scales and it shall smoke...

On these pics I´m driving my Regner loco "Gösta" around the plant in order to make studies of smoke...

The recepy to get the smoke from the plant has so far been various stuff
On these pics it is a mix of paper, cooking oil and dried grass. If anyone has a simple working idea on how to get smoke, I´ll be glad hearing from you.
Michael

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:37 am

Awesome! Guess I would get some angry neighbors if I made such a plant at my balcony. :)

As suggested in the Norwegian forum... Search the net for home made smokers for making smoked fish and meat. Or look at the smoke generators for stages.