Roundhouse locos on TV.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Matt
Driver
Driver

Roundhouse locos on TV.

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:29 am

Has anyone noticed in the past few years that Roundhouse locos have appered several times in TV drama films. In the 1999 version of 'The Railway Children' Peter gets a Roundhouse Katie for his Brithday. Also, in the BBC's addaptation of 'The Wind in the Willows' last year, Toad has a train set which includes a Roundhouse William.

Does anyone know what happened to these two engines after their use on TV? Or are there any other programes which have featured 16mm steam?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 am

I saw the one in The Railway Children but havent been watching Wind In The Willows :lol:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:37 am

I only saw the second half of the wind in the willows. In it, the weasels have a huge party, and play about with the train set. The good guys(Mole, rat, toad, and Bager) then come up through a trap door in the middle of the railway. Interesting scene, with a couple of close ups on the William.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:38 am

I was just thinking the lower years production in my school (year 7,8 and 9) are doing a production of Wind In the Willows maybe we could get a loco in that :lol:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:41 am

Good idea. But then the goverment would arrest us for breaking health and safty rules.

When are we going to get a decent goverment!?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:43 am

Aye to true to true :cry:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 am

Whielst on the topic of safty, has anyone suffered a boiler explosion, like what happened to Peters engine in 'The Railway Children'?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:16 pm

Yep I have! Steamy Jim has the loco (with a new boiler!!)!!! :D I'm sure he'll make it work again.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:30 pm

I nearly had a boiler explosion on one of my mamods. The safty valve jammed for some reason, and the pessure built up in the boiler so much that the water gauge in the boilers back began to streach out. Luckly, I managed to put the fire out and release the steam using the whistle before anything seriouse happened.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:54 pm

Yep i have Ben Ben :lol: Now County Of Somerset ;)

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Ive had a sightglass melt :cry:
still waiting for replacement ive bought on ebay to turn up

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:25 pm

They shouldn't have used a roundhouse engine for the railway children! they are far too reliable for anything like a boiler explosion to happen
and if the worst did happen, then a quick call to roundhouse would soon have it sorted out........
Roundhouse have the best customer care of any company I know

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Well, I've yet to buy from them (my mum won't let me make any big purchases).

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Thats a pitty :-(
I found that very careful saving = live steam loco (eventually)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:12 am

That's the advantage of the plastic sight glass on the Mamod locos, it acts as a secondary safety valve and will go before anything else breaks.

ACLR I though you had already replaced the sight glass, or was that from another loco? I've just found an even cheaper website for those Mamod spares packs, but they do not stock most of their items, and thus it is a long wait. I only really needed a SP5 burner and safety valve (I'm going to try and make a syphon tube using the safety valve body, and then use the Mamod pressure gauge I got on my SP6 to check pressures on my other Mamods including the locos), but thought I'd order some more spares and get free postage. They've only just sent me some drivebands, with no indication when the rest will be delivered. Here's the website - http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1816_1.html It is interesting that it shows they have the burner and unjoined belts in stock at their shops, so why have I not been sent these as well?

I've just got some sanding accessories for my mini drill, so I'll try shaping one of these rectangular sight glass's to fit the loco boiler. Not sure what is best method for trimming this plastic.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:19 am

That was for the original one I was waiting for Chris
trouble is ive melted it again as it caught fire  :oops:  :roll:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:30 am

Are you suffering from the meths flames creeping up into the cab at the back?

My non IP/PPS meths burner came with 2 deflectors which slide into the chassis and do a good job of keeping the flames in check. I've just put my IP burner from the IP Jane into the MSS Saddle Tank, but I've still got some problems with this loco so have not yet managed to get a decent run on my test oval with this troublesome loco yet.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:35 am

yes thats exactly what has happened  :(  it didnt blow and still runs but cant see the level now.
will upload a picture when this dam vid is finaly uploaded
heres the picture

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:19 am

Here's a photo of my meths burner which may help.
It has 2 deflectors which have 4 small wings bent on the side and are just a push fit into the chassis frames. The one at the back I push right up against the front of the meths tank, and right up to touch the boiler - it has a small cutout which I assume is for a steam pipe to/from the cab for a regulator or lubricator.

Not got time at present to dismantle my loco but I put up a photo of the IP burner later today. This has 2 deflectors fitted in front of the tank but not looked too closely to see how effective they are.

The ceramic gas burner has no deflectors fitted and that is very easy to get blowback on the cab, and that sight glass! The one I have was fitted to an SL1K (not yet featured on the Forum yet as it is still undergoing maintenance, etc to get it running properly) and that had a leaking sight glass, and a leaking boiler from that weak solder fillet on the bottom, when I first tried to run it.

I've just fitted the ceramic gas burner to my IP Jane, and interestingly on this the combustion chamber has a longer wing at the back and the gas burner nozzle actually rests on this so no blowback. This is shorter on the Mamods as they had to allow space for the solid fuel burner to be fitted through the cab.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks for the picture of the burner Chris. It gives me some ideas as i was think of having a go at building my own with a bit more capacity the IP one I have im lucky to get 5 mins of burn time