Plastic guttering for buildings?

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Plastic guttering for buildings?

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:46 pm

I know a couple of years or so ago, I got a pack of grey 'guttering and down pipes' for my lineside cottage etc. They were on a snap off framework where you selected length, bend etc and just snapped off the ones you required. For the life of me I can't remember where I got them from! Any ideas? I've been googling away and looked at various websites but can't find any! Help!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 am

Have you considered using straws?
Chris Auckland

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 am

Yes, I have used those black plastic ones for down pipes but I find that splitting them for the guttering itself fiddly and not very satisfactory! I did really like the ones I used before because they were shaped like gutters etc and thought it would be good to use again but don't think it's going to happen!

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I have some 'plastic' modelling strips that are the correct shape for guttering. It is a little overscale in thickness. I got it from Hobbies of Raveningham. They have a website but I had to wait for them to order this in special.
If you could make do with solid half dowelling then that is easier to find suitable material for. Or go for the square crossection guttering and look at Plastruct.
Would you let us know if you find a supplier for the stuff you've used before?
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:16 pm

I have used split plastruct, a tip from fleecy bunny. That man has the patience of a saint and I will be following this thread in case there is an easier solution....

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Speaking as a man who agonizes over different guttering techniques, I will be posting some pics as the mood takes me. Seriously though, Piko does provide some stuff which would help. In the meantime, try "dollhouse heaven".
Last edited by kandnwlr on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm

I used old felt tips cut in harf quite easy to do spray them black etc last well outside too

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 pm

I've not used them myself, but have you thought about the products listed under 'Building Parts' on
www.trenarrenmodels.co.uk ?
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes have looked and Trenarren but they are white metal so no good hate the stuff! Have thought of dowel yes and still is a possible but still looking. I believe that the bag of guttering we did get came in a box of mixed bits we purchased from eBay a few years ago so probably no longer available. Will keep the search up!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 am

Mrs F Controller:99733 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes have looked and Trenarren but they are white metal so no good hate the stuff! Have thought of dowel yes and still is a possible but still looking. I believe that the bag of guttering we did get came in a box of mixed bits we purchased from eBay a few years ago so probably no longer available. Will keep the search up!
I was down in the cellar and found a bag or two of what I bought "in bulk" a while back. The label says Faller, the German G scale buildings company, and comprises of both plastic guttering and drainpipes. Hope this helps.

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm

[quote=

I was down in the cellar and found a bag or two of what I bought "in bulk" a while back. The label says Faller, the German G scale buildings company, and comprises of both plastic guttering and drainpipes. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Please take great care when ordering Faller modelling bits and pieces. Faller are certainly not a G-Scale modelling company. A great deal of their kit is both N-Gauge and HO and is often not always marked up clearly as such.
Cheers

Roy H

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Enginehouse:99743 wrote:
I was down in the cellar and found a bag or two of what I bought "in bulk" a while back. The label says Faller, the German G scale buildings company, and comprises of both plastic guttering and drainpipes. Hope this helps.[/quote wrote:
Please take great care when ordering Faller modelling bits and pieces. Faller are certainly not a G-Scale modelling company. A great deal of their kit is both N-Gauge and HO and is often not always marked up clearly as such.
Good point. Faller is the parent company, Pola, formally independent, is the brand under which the G scale stuff is sold (all other scales are marketed as Faller). But apparently everything gets packed in Faller bags, even if it came in a Pola box. A quick look at the website will show two packs, 333114 and 333115, labelled as gutters, which I use when building my stuff. Have fun.

ikcdab
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ikcdab » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 pm

I bought a 3m length of cable conduit from wickes.  Its oval section, about 25mm by 8mm.  Then it's just a case of cutting off the oval bid each end and hence guttering.  Can post pics if required.
This is the stuff http://www.wickes.co.uk/Oval-Conduit/p/109641

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I like the lateral thinking here.... and the price is right for that length of material.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 am

ikcdab:99785 wrote:I bought a 3m length of cable conduit from wickes.  Its oval section, about 25mm by 8mm.  Then it's just a case of cutting off the oval bid each end and hence guttering.  Can post pics if required.
This is the stuff http://www.wickes.co.uk/Oval-Conduit/p/109641
Nice idea :D

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Well, kandnwlr I could kiss you!! :hello1: yes yes yes the Pola 333114 are THE EXACT ONES! Thank you and I have managed to locate some and they are winging their way to me. Yes I know they are slightly small and short but that can be sorted and they look good.

I liked the conduit idea but wasn't really what I was looking for. I have used ballpoint pens, straws work well but I was after what I had in particular.

Thank all of you for you replies. I've got some great ideas and I would love to see some of your photos and I will put up mine when I've finished!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Mrs F Controller:99876 wrote:Well, kandnwlr I could kiss you!!  :hello1: yes yes yes the Pola 333114 are THE EXACT ONES! Thank you and I have managed to locate some and they are winging their way to me. Yes I know they are slightly small and short but that can be sorted and they look good.

I liked the conduit idea but wasn't really what I was looking for. I have used ballpoint pens, straws work well but I was after what I had in particular.

Thank all of you for you replies. I've got some great ideas and I would love to see some of your photos and I will put up mine when I've finished!
That´s what all the girls say  8) In the meantime, check out the Kent & North Wales Light Railway thread for a feeling of what can be done with some of the stuff. As Oscar Wilde once said,  "All of us are lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." Not that that helps when, as tonight, I once again glued myself to my own scenery.

nzreg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nzreg » Sun May 04, 2014 5:54 am

Mrs F Controller:99876 wrote:Well, kandnwlr I could kiss you!!  :hello1: yes yes yes the Pola 333114 are THE EXACT ONES! Thank you and I have managed to locate some and they are winging their way to me. Yes I know they are slightly small and short but that can be sorted and they look good.

Would it be possible to give the dimensions of this guttering please.
Reg

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 am

nzreg:100273 wrote:

Would it be possible to give the dimensions of this guttering please.
Here are some pics of building work on the K&NWLR to give you a feeling for the length of the pieces supplied that I had available in the Faller box. Apologies if the Treddol slate station looks as though it´s on a building site .... but it is. :shock:

ImageK&NWLR: Treddol-built station in slate with Faller guttering prior to completion by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Treddol-built slate station building with Faller guttering to illustrate length of kit pieces by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Faller guttering shown next to upper loop terminus station for scale purposes by kandnwlr, on Flickr

nzreg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nzreg » Sun May 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Thank you kandnwlr but I have no idea how large your building is, perhaps you could run a ruler over the guttering and measure them :)
Reg