Locobox Loco on Ebay - Rebuild in Progress

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:32 pm

Fantastic Alan! I know my friend Ben is jealous (he wanted one!), and so am I! Great engine!

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:16 am

Hard to tell from the pictures, but I think moving the cab forward with a shorter tank will make the loco a lot closer to the original Bagnall. Especially as the Saddletank is so wide on the Locobox loco.

Original Sddletank

Moving the cab forward...

I can machine a few mm off the fitting for the gas burner and get the cab front inline with the front wheels?

Bagnall General Arrangement
For Custom CNC Engraved Nameplates and Worksplates
http://www.loco-plates.co.uk

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23 am

Blimey, your bombing along with this one!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am

great work there Alan.

and Pete how can you say you want one it has ocillating cylenders and you you dont like them LOL

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:28 am

ACLR wrote:great work there Alan.

and Pete how can you say you want one it has ocillating cylenders and you you dont like them LOL
i'd take them off, and put sumut better on :lol: :lol: or cover them up if I cant!!! :lol:

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 am

mhlr wrote:
ACLR wrote:great work there Alan.

i'd take them off, and put sumut better on  :lol:  :lol:  or cover them up if I cant!!!  :lol:
Possibly John Prescott cylinders from his range of small loco's would be appropriate for upgrading a locobox. I wanted to purchase a set of those but obviously quite some waiting list on those. The sooner I can get my Taig CNC setup the better!

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:53 am

Looking at the boiler on this loco, the burner, regulator and safety valve appear to be Roundhouse parts. I'm not sure if the boiler is similar to that in older Katie locos. It's 50mm diameter, not sure of the length tho.

If anyone has a Katie could they measure up the boiler for comparison?

I don't think it's Roundhouse as there's no Superheater, the steam pipe just runs under the boiler, and isn't lagged. It's probably a good idea to lag this pipe and possibly fit some kind of small footplate or running board too.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:02 am

mhlr wrote:Blimey, your bombing along with this one!
Much faster to take 'em apart than put back together!

8)

As the plans for this loco are getting to be quite extensive with modified frames, saddletank and cab, boiler lagging, rolled boiler wrapper and brass boiler bands.... I think I'll put it back as it is after getting the strategically important dimensions for the cylinders. I can then machine up the replacement frames, tank and cab parts and finally reasemble the loco around the new parts!

Would be fairly easy to reproduce a replacement set of cylinders too. Would just require the back plate, I assume the cylinders themselves are just the Mamod upgrade set with O rings and a longer piston rod.

The only prob then I'll have a lot of locobox loco over!!

Those Prescott cylinders look nice too. But if I reposition the cylinders a little higher up and incline them as per the original Bagnall, with Dummy cylinder covers it could look pretty neat. At present the cylinders almost scrub the track.

It would be nice to find apiece of brass tube the appropriate diameter to replace the Mazac Mamod Smokebox too...

Lots of ideas!:D

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:12 pm

alan2525 wrote:If anyone has a Katie could they measure up the boiler for comparison?
I have a new Katie, as opposed to an old one. Do you want me to get the measurements anyway?

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:19 pm

MTA wrote:
alan2525 wrote:If anyone has a Katie could they measure up the boiler for comparison?
I have a new Katie, as opposed to an old one. Do you want me to get the measurements anyway?
If you could, it's really the length of the boiler I'm after. Although it'll be hard to tell how long the actual boiler is as the end of it locates inside the smokebox. would still appreciate if you could have a quick measure up.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I've drawn up the new frames, moved the front buffer beam 4mm further forward and shortened the frames at the back by 20mm!

Will make the loco much more compact with a much neater saddletank too. Also raised and inclined the cylinders too, so a fair bit more clearance under the front and raised the top of the frames too by 4mm!

Only small changes but will make a much more proportioned loco! :D
Would be nice to go for a circular smokebox with a saddle, I could cut down the original mamod part, and just add a fabricated saddle underneath.

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:34 am

sound like a great project alan and your steaming along.

i planned to buy one and convert it to our bagnall "leonard", but they dont sell them now :(

is wendy the twin to this loco or the other one at amberly?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm

What is the valve at the bottom of the sight glass? Looks interesting, or is it just the drain?

Wendy is the cabbed one, Peter is the one under overhaul at Amberley I believe.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Rob,

Some lovely pics of Leonard there! I'm not sure of the differences between the loco's my build is going to take a few details from a couple of different loco's I like the sanders on Leonard, plus I'm going to have the dummy rivet detail on the saddletank - Wendys tank is a replacement welded one.

Rivet detail on the Bufferbeams as per "Armistice", but will be painted Blue and named Wendy as per the loco at Amberley.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 pm

SillyBilly wrote:What is the valve at the bottom of the sight glass? Looks interesting, or is it just the drain?

Wendy is the cabbed one, Peter is the one under overhaul at Amberley I believe.
Could it be the injector, there is a steam feed for it on the dome :?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Ah yes, with the clack in the same casting. Thanks for that Jim.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Ah yes, with the clack in the same casting. Thanks for that Jim.
No problemo! I wasn't sure if it was right but the shape looked injectorish :lol:

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Here's progress on the Locobox!

I've just printed out the CAD drawings and used to mockup the parts to check how it'll look.

I've cut down the Mamod Smokebox and filed and cleaned up with Emery to make the Bagnall style circular smokebox...Now to draw up the little saddle. I'll fabricate that from 1.6mm brass and silver solder it up, then bolt onto the modded mamod smokebox.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:07 pm

:shock: thats looking great! :shock:

cant wait to see the finished loco

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:28 pm

looking good alan. i can get some more pics on moday if you need them of leonard, just ask which bits.

yes jim they are the injectors. one either side of the firebox and its a blowdown on the bottom of the gauge glass. im pretty sure the clack is in the injector like billy said.