People

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

People

Post by SpudUk » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 pm

It's always been of notice to me that as the scales got bigger, the quality and accuracy of the figures seemed to improve. However, I am really struggling to find some authentic looking, high quality 16mm people. I am sure they must exist, it's a good gauge to get in a lot of detail and accuracy, am I looking in the right place?!
Chris Auckland

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Sounds like you probably need something like Jon's people. At least I think thats the name but I don't have a web address. Someone on here should be able to help...
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Jon's are very good, but they don't have a website (I've bought mine off him at shows). Otherwise, as you probably know there are plenty of people who do good caricatures (eg Busybodies) and fair representations of people (Modeltown) but few who do what you want. The Back 2 Bay 6 range is ok (and very cheap) but quite limited in what is available. The Brandbright figures are also quite detailed but require painting.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:22 pm

One way of avoiding dependence on the ranges of 'comic' characters is to use the Back 2 Bay 6 range and adapt them either with removal or addition of clothing or facial hair etc. and of course re painting.
Another way is the Brandbright figures assuming they are still in production.
Also there is the Schleich figures provided you are happy with modern rural or farm figures. Of course avoid the smurfs and the fairies.
Something I'm looking at are the 1:20 scale figures available from the US which I believe they now describe as F scale. (Double check shipping and import costs)
Useful is the 1:20 scale 'Motorsports team set' from Tamiya, which is back in production but will need some work to turn well cast resin trackside figures into railway looking guys.
Also, some G scale figures from the Prieser range are large enough to fool the eyes if they are not used next to a proper height 16mm/ft figure.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Just come across a chap in America who makes some of the best quality scale figures I've found yet. Yes, they are 1:20 but it's close enough, isn't it? http://scalehumans.com/orderform?NGF
Chris Auckland