Ace Engineering Works Roundhouse Millie

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
ace
Fireman
Fireman

Ace Engineering Works Roundhouse Millie

Post by ace » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:21 pm

It is best I said as little as possible. :) Video up soon.
Last edited by ace on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube ChannelImage

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 pm

As I can see your all raring to know what it is, here is the video

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/33ojZM_sHFk?hl=en_GB& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/33ojZM_sHFk?hl=en_GB&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
YouTube ChannelImage

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 am

Nice. I love the shots through the jungle with the train on top of the embankment.
Philip

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 am

What are your plans for the millie? Isn't it the one that was on Anything Narrow gauge?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks Philipy, it is not much of a line but it scratches an itch. :)

Zach, yes it is the one that was on ANG. My plans are to renew and upgrade some of motion, due to wear, and gradually work on the appearance. I am undecided if I am going to return her back to original cosmetic condition or not so for now just a minor mechanical overhaul. I have reinstated the r/c, tested it and all is ok and carried out a boiler flush. The vinegar came out quite green but with some sand in it, so I removed the sight glass and gave it a good flush through. :)
YouTube ChannelImage

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Here is a photo of the Millie :)

YouTube ChannelImage

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:35 pm

If your tastes are in that direction, I'd be wary about doing too much cosmetically - it looks well-used and it's got the patina that only time can give.............. Maybe a repaint of the smokebox (in matt or satin) would be enough.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm

I'd leave it as is personally, has a good worn effect on it!

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm

quite like it as it is and sounds good too

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Thank you all for the positive comments chaps.

With regard to the appearance of the Millie, I shall get rid of the polish (or whatever the white stuff is) and as Brian says, repaint the smoke box. I have been experimenting with some 2k with a matt binder to create a satin effect for another forum member's parts so this can go the same.

I just wanted to say that I have had my first successful R/C run this evening. Sadly no photos, because frankly what is the point? Its pitch dark outside. The loco ran well, I wasn't expecting much because it is an adaptation, but to my surprise I quite like it.

I am still waiting on the new parts from RH, I'll then get on with the minor overhaul.

It is fair to say that this Millie is a nice little runner (and has a speed streak installed too :shock: )
YouTube ChannelImage

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 am

So works have began on the Millie to bring a couple of things up to speed. Not that there was anything massively wrong with the loco at all.

The first thing was to cut off the excess length on the regulator so that the gas nozzle could easily access the top of the tank.

Here is the problem,the gas filler valve is right above the regulator lever. You have to get the gas nozzle at an angle and waste loads of gas.

So I decided to cut off the end so it is easily accessible.

A little tape to catch the filings...

And cut away. All done.

Problem solved. :)

I ordered some new coupling rods and also a slide bar set for a small upgrade for her. here is post operation.

You can see the holes are considerably elongated compared to the new unpainted version.

All parts removed

The new slide bar and crossshead set. Essential for stopping the twisting action of the piston and coupling rod.

The new rods with a coat of red enamel.

All fitted with the new rods and crosshead set. :)

I'll give her a test run on blocks a little later and see how the noise has changed.
YouTube ChannelImage

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 am

Interesting................... I never had that problem with mine but your regulator body looks to be longer than mine - I wonder if somebody's changed it? The red fibre washers look new................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am

MDLR:97066 wrote:Interesting................... I never had that problem with mine but your regulator body looks to be longer than mine - I wonder if somebody's changed it? The red fibre washers look new................
I would suggest you are right Brian. The regulator is an R/C one and looks a lot newer than the other brass fittings on the loco so must have recently been done.

I really need a longer filler adaptor now, the current one won't fill with the roof on. :roll:
YouTube ChannelImage

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 am

ace:97067 wrote:
MDLR:97066 wrote:Interesting................... I never had that problem with mine but your regulator body looks to be longer than mine - I wonder if somebody's changed it? The red fibre washers look new................
I would suggest you are right Brian. The regulator is an R/C one and looks a lot newer than the other brass fittings on the loco so must have recently been done.

I really need a longer filler adaptor now, the current one won't fill with the roof on. :roll:
Ace I had the same problem many years ago when I added RC to my millie
A steam propelled life-style.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 am

pauly:97070 wrote:
ace:97067 wrote:

Ace I had the same problem many years ago when I added RC to my millie
Roundhouse do make the RC regulators in both a short and long model. I didn't know till I rang up to order one and Chris asked me what length.

Having said that and looked at the pic, yours is a short one.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 am

Right then, after many a successful steaming of recent months the Millie has finally had enough.

Historically, sat ready for off at the AGM at Peterborough April 2014.

And enjoying a run on Tony Birds layout.

Previously to this ‘failure event’ I have done some things that have just niggled me since owning the loco. After adjusting the throttle needle length I felt it only right to strip and re-paint the inside of the cab in cream. Previously it was brush painted and having tried this before myself, I know that cream paint does not cover well on black, hence the lovely stripy effect.

The previous owner also lengthened the cab and made a roof to suit. To me it makes no difference the cab being 10mm longer, but what does bug me is that the cab front and cab rear have a gap above the doorway. So I bought a new roof panel from Roundhouse to sort that out, you may notice the two holes just further forward of the cab front that I need to sort out.

So here are the cab parts removed for the work.

Old paint stripped off.

New paint applied, with aerosol.

Radio refitted on the cab roof.

And away! I’ll post up some photos and the ‘failure’ a little later on. :)
YouTube ChannelImage

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

Like the look of the cab inside now :shock: :D

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 pm

It's amazing the difference a lick, or spray in this case, of paint can make, looks so much better.

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Wed May 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps. :)

Indeed, the cab looks a little smarter. Just one of the few things that need doing on the engine. I did manage to misplace three out of the four spectacle windows somehow whilst doing it though. They'll turn up eventually! :roll:
YouTube ChannelImage

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 pm

ace:101161 wrote:Thanks for the comments chaps. :)

Indeed, the cab looks a little smarter. Just one of the few things that need doing on the engine. I did manage to misplace three out of the four spectacle windows somehow whilst doing it though. They'll turn up eventually! :roll:
Just look for something else and they'll show up!