New Coach Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Coach Stock

Post by Mattyrallye » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 am

Hi Chaps,

Over the last week or so I have been busy making the following kits. An IP 2 compartment coach, an IP 2 compartment open coach and a Andel GVT coach.

To be brutally honest i haven't enjoyed making the IP coaches, I have found them very tricky. Especially the roof bending. (Anyone got any ideas)
I have also found the lack of detail a little disappointing. However this is nothing that cannot be sorted and i have some decent lost wax castings for door handles and i will make up some undergubbins from plasticard.

However i have found the Andel kit to be an absolute joy to build. Simple and full of detail. I have found it so good i finished it before the IP coaches which i started a few days before! I just couldn't put it down!!  

Anyways enough rambling here are some pics i took late last night.

Once the IP coaches are made i will get some pics up of these also.
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am

Looks great, I enjoyed building my AnDel GVT carriage. The livery suits it well!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am

Like the GVT coach, very nice.

I've just built an IP carriage and added detail including a basic interior (sides cut from card to hide the glazing), Brandbright brass door furniture and some hinges cut from plastic rod. I always make roofs from individual wooden planks now - sellotape 'em together, turn over, glue and add a fabric covering such as an old T-shirt or sheet. That gives a reasonable impression of canvas and makes curving to shape much easier. Although I still tend to make a hash of it, I find it one of the most difficult bits...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the comments.

I am very keen to get on with the plank of wood technique. This is genius. Plus the canvas roof idea is just what i'm after.

Will update soon as i get this going.

I am pleased with the livery. That is VW Gambia red for those who are not in the know. :D
#projectRoundhouseBilly

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Looks really good, I'll be interested to see what you make of the IP coaches

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

I do add extra detail to my IP wagons and coaches. I have some brass brads with domed heads that I find make reasonable impression of rivets. Anywhere there is a rivet detail "burned" into the wood, I drill it out and push in one of these little pins. It does a lot to make the model look detailed. I don't know why but it has never occurred to me to use plastikard for making small details. I have been annoyed that my "brake" van does not have any BRAKES. I think I'll experiment with using plastikard to make some brake details there.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Well a little effort later and we are nearing the completion stage of the stock.

I managed to get the roof bent thanks to a steamy hot iron. :D

We run 45mm and i try as much as possible to make it look 3 foot rather than 2 foot Narrow Gauge. (Which is good seeing that Accuraft have announced the Sierra Leone engine from Welshpool)

Anyways here is the IP open. I added bigger wheels and had to drop the buffer beam on this too.

I am going to paint this one so it is more in keeping with the other livery. Should only take an hour or so. Also painting the seats natural wood colour and then i will paint floor black and paint the inside natural wood also.

And the other.. note the bigger wheels and drop down buffer beam.

Let me know your thoughts...
#projectRoundhouseBilly

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm

very nice work there

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks Jim. I have found it extremely satisfying making these kits to be fair.

My dad is a wizz making goods stock so we have some really nice wagons that look exactly like the Welshpool accucraft models. We have three plank and four plank ones. And he managed to do the same with the hartland chassis.

He has the eye for detail. All the sole bars are decorated and he makes the brake lever and the door bangers from the metal strip found in car windscreen wipers! (Top tip) Consequently though we have no passenger stock. Hopefully these (along with two Isle of Man coaches) should readdress the balance.

I am so impressed with the GVT coach I may purchase the bogie coach from andel next month... Hmmm
#projectRoundhouseBilly

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm

now that's very cool using bits from car windscreen wipers .I like sound of your dad that's very resourceful and very British thing to do

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 pm

He is a dude.

It works so well. Really good metal, right thickness etc. it holds it's shape really we'll. yeah next time you make a wagon let me know and I will send you the dimensions I have for all the door bangers and the brake gear.
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Just realised my epic mistake about the 3 foot and the Welshpool comment...

Welshpool is 2'6". Dumb dumb.

To be fair their is only 6" in it so we go between 2'6" and 3' narrow guage. Scale that down and we are very very close! 😃
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Next project is to work on the cheap newqida coach. The idea is to change the windows, add some panelling and repaint to make it look similar to the C&M railway coaches.

Well this is the plan anyway. Has anyone tried or know of any threads of a similar nature. Could do with some help and inspiration...
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

A little update. This is how far I have got tonight with the newqida coach.

The plan is to try and get it similar (uses term loosely) to something that Pickering would have made for the C&M or Welshpool. Unfortunately I can't get the lovely curved edges on the paneling. But at 30 quid a pop vs the over £for the accy models I can live with it I think.

Colour scheme will be carried out in the same livery as the last lot I have made.

Here we go...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/20/tnpe.jpg[/img]

And then got the top section done too.
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 am

Very clever, I'm impressed! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

Andrew.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 am

Nice, I bet you won't be able to tell what that coach started life as when you've finished with it.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks guys. I am bit anxious how it will look to be honest. I am struggling to find the vaxhall beige spray paint in halfrauds that represents br cream. Anone know of a spray colour that's close to it?
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:16 am

williamfj:95634 wrote:Nice, I bet you won't be able to tell what that coach started life as when you've finished with it.
I hope your right... But then I'm not sure if that's good or bad!! Looked more like a county donegal coach ATM...

Still can't find BR cream as a spray. Any ideas anyone?
#projectRoundhouseBilly

Kubes
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Coach Stock

Post by Kubes » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am

Ford Sierra Beige is what I used on some BR coaches. Still readily available AFAIK.

Mattyrallye
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mattyrallye » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Ah the man who has the plan! Superb thank you. Sounds cheeky but do you have a picture?
I saw a plasticote colour today that looked good... But want to see this if possible.

:)
#projectRoundhouseBilly