Page 1 of 1
Looking for power controller advice
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 am
by Pilotwill
I'm building a 80 foot loop in my front yard (gscale) I would like to go dcc but I have no idea what I need or what is best.
I know I need a power supply and I am looking at the EVEREST 15AMP 24V D.C POWER SUPPLY. Is it good? I have no idea. And I know I need a controller but do I go piko, aristrocraft, Massoth, or what? I need the receivers for the trains and maybe some switches. Do I need anything else? Is one better then the others.
I am the kind of guy that try's to get the best. So what's the best? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Will
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:57 pm
by Keith S
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have the engines powered by onboard rechargeable batteries and radio-controlled? I only have live steam myself but I can't picture track-powered trains having many advantages, especially outside. Sorry if this isn't helpful.
Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 pm
by Pilotwill
So I didn't think about that only because I don't really want to deal with changing batteries. But maybe that is my ignorance. I assume the batteries may not last that long. Do you know how long a battery might pull a long passenger train? Thanks for the post.
Will
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:36 am
by Pilotwill
I should also note that I am a fire and forget kind of train driver. But I would like to automate it all as well. I think that is why I didn't put much thought to battery power.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 am
by bazzer42
In support of Keith my first experience was live two rail but not dcc. The biggest fag is track cleaning. The ease of just running a radio control diesel made a world of difference to me personally. The next step is radio control live steam and that is something else. No run is ever the same and there is a magic ten minutes of preparation. With a mixture of rechargeable battery and steam I have enough to keep me going in a session.
I only switched a year ago but don't regret it for a second. When I first started 4 years ago I didn't see this change coming, I think it's evolution as I saw no attraction for live steam or r/c.