Swift Sixteen Brake

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm

The points are by Messrs. Peco via Trackshack. And brand new.

The wheels on the Brakevan which mounts the checkrails are IP steel wheels running with IP engineering cast white metal axle boxes.So unless those are not exactly in gauge or the points are not in gauge (but then all my other stock runs over the points no problemo) Im not sure whats going on.

The nylon curly spoked Binnie wheels on the other two vans are going to be replaced asap.

New wheels time?

swiftsixteen
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by swiftsixteen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:39 pm

If your running 45mm, I know the IP wheels have problems on 45mm. All my early kits used IP wheels and people were having problems with them on 45mm. To fix the problem, they were fitting plastic card packers behind the wheels. I no longer use IP wheels.

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:42 pm

These are 32mm wheels. The wheels on the brake van (but not the axle boxes) came from an IP 4 wheeel open wagon which had never, ever run well- the wheels kept locking up on curves.

I do rather like the look of your wheels and axle boxes, Mr Swiftsixteen, but Im not sure how Id fit them to my existing stock....alas

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Sounds like it IS the wheels then - gauge adjustment (out of the vehicle) can be achieved with a normal bench vice and a hammer tapping on either the wheels or axle ends. Don't sling the Binnie wheels - they are very good and easier to re-gauge (don't need hitting with a hammer so hard).
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks Brian

I suspect over winter I'm going to have the sole bars and wheels etc off these vans and replaced with new.

Any recommendations for new wheel sets?

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 pm

SapperAnt:89938 wrote:Thanks Brian

I suspect over winter I'm going to have the sole bars and wheels etc off these vans and replaced with new.

Any recommendations for new wheel sets?
No - coz I've never had the problem! I normally use a Roundhouse BTB gauge to check my wheels - they have to come off the axles to add drive gears and sprockets anyway!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm

MDLR:89936 wrote:Sounds like it IS the wheels then - gauge adjustment (out of the vehicle) can be achieved with a normal bench vice and a hammer tapping on either the wheels or axle ends. Don't sling the Binnie wheels - they are very good and easier to re-gauge (don't need hitting with a hammer so hard).
I like that advice I.e. don't hit so hard with the hammer, there's not many craftsmen left..... :D
Bazzer42

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm

bazzer42:89943 wrote:I like that advice I.e. don't hit so hard with the hammer, there's not many craftsmen left..... :D
(chuckle) It also helps if you've got a smaller hammer, not a gurt big one!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html