Page 1 of 1

Degreasing an engine

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:47 pm
by Sylvian Tennant
Okay so now after now four months of running Jemima in, it looks like soon I maybe updating her a bit.

I have got some trimline to line her out in red and white but as it is an adhesive tape I suspect that the oil and grease from running will attack it and before long cause some problem.

What do you guys use to degrease your locos to paint/line? So far I've heard of Paraffin and also white spirit (I'd rather not use that).

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:53 pm
by steamie1
I use, very sparingly, HPI car cleaner for model Rc cars...Spray can with small directional tube, works very well. Then I re oil with car engine oil.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:35 pm
by dougrail
Bare metal, I use white spirit or automotive degreaser.

Lining out, I avoid Trimline as after a few months it sags and moves.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:40 pm
by Sir haydn
Tesco baby wipes ;)

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:44 pm
by Sylvian Tennant
I may look to add something a little more permanent later on.

Tesco baby wipes!!!!?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 pm
by Big Al
I use brake cleaner spray cans for degreasing most things check it on part first but will remove oil and grease, I have not had trouble with it on paint work but try it first. Don't use carburettor cleaner as this contains a lubricant to help dislodge fine particles from jets. Another one to use is surgical spirit if you can get it ( don't drink it ) we used to clean the brakes on our race bikes with this I got it in gallon glass bottles from a relative in the pharmacy trade, alas no longer able to get. ;)