Page 1 of 1
Interesting find in Poundland
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 pm
by Chris Cairns
Recently bought this in a branch of Poundland, although I note it was not available in other branches -
http://www.poundland.co.uk/parasol-led-lights-20-pack
For a £1 you get a 2 x AA battery box with power switch, and 20 low power LEDs wired up to go around a parasol. Would be ideal for lighting a station/village, and is also a handy tool for safely discharging rechargeable AA batteries (as I'm doing here in the above photo).
Chris Cairns
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm
by Narrow Minded
Nice find Chris - I'll be checking our local!
Just a thought, but that string of LED's could easily be hooked up to a cheapo "Solar Light" unit

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 pm
by jay1976
funn u say abou solar powered leds..Wilkinsons did a set of leds with solar panel on them for i think £3..local cheap shop does a solar powered set as well
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 am
by Big Al
Will nip into local branch on Friday, hope they have them. Thanks for posting.
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 am
by MDLR
If they#re wired in parallel (which they generally are) then they can be unsoldered and used individually - you just need to check whether there's a resistance in the circuit within the battery box.
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 am
by Chris Cairns
There are 4 wires going to each LED so I assume wired in parallel. Just pulled the cover hiding the switch wiring - no resistor.
Good luck finding them - I tried another 2 local branches but did not see them there (at least you now have the product details to ask the staff).
Chris Cairns
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 am
by jay1976
another option is some cheap christmas tree led lights off ebay
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 am
by Pendo Pilot
I cleared poundland Preston out of 15 packs of those last year, good for the money indeed.