Tornado A1 Locomotive Video

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Tornado A1 Locomotive Video

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:15 pm

just got back from a cycle up to the GCRailway after i heard a whistle. looked over the bridge after hearing it, and heard a different 'chuff' to usual. it was a sort of 'swirly' sound as to a 'chuff'.

anyway, i got 2 videos of it running, but poor quality as theyre on my phone. but here they are:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks for posting these videos. Even new locos wheel slip!!

At least you were the right side of the fence as GCR have been concerned with the trespass that this famous loco will cause.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:28 pm

I won't comment on my feelings towards this loco, they are far too practical. Nice to see it can actually pull somthing though.

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm

im pretty sure they do the wheel spin on purpose. i have seen many videos of trains pulling off, about 20m down the line they open the reg hard and wheel spin it and shut it back down. not sure if its for any purpose? possibly to clear the tubes after sitting in the station for a while?

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:31 pm

SillyBilly wrote:I won't comment on my feelings towards this loco, they are far too practical. Nice to see it can actually pull somthing though.
are you not a fan will? i must admit that its not much different to any other locos they have, but it great to see a new loco.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:38 pm

will thinks its a waste of money nd that they could have spent that money restoring old locos that would need alot more work and that probably wouldnt be able to run at 95mph on the main line.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 pm

andysleigh wrote:that would need alot more work
:sign5:
I can't see how restoring locos that are in storage han be harder than building a new one :lol: .

Read the practical side here Rob http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftopic550-0.php .

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:48 pm

cleaning off rust
polishing
re tyreing
taken it to bits
storing the bits
new bearings and stuff

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:58 pm

andysleigh wrote:cleaning off rust
polishing
re tyreing
taken it to bits
storing the bits
new bearings and stuff
All good reasons to restore rather than build.
This ends here Andy because if I was you I wouldn't bother arguing, it's a battle you'll never win.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 pm

SillyBilly wrote:
andysleigh wrote:cleaning off rust
polishing
re tyreing
taken it to bits
storing the bits
new bearings and stuff
All good reasons to restore rather than build.
This ends here Andy because if I was you I wouldn't bother arguing, it's a battle you'll never win.
But i am sure loads of people could back me up,
Your about the only person anywhere that things it was a waste of money, laods of people put time and money into it, We can still build, even tho the boilers german, we built the rest.

why did you build a new coach, you probably could have bought an old coach and re painted it etc.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 pm

there are loads of locos being restored, so why restore more,
Why not build one, makes a change, a challenge, somthing to be very proud of

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 pm

andysleigh wrote:But i am sure loads of people could back me up.
But are these people looking at it from the right angle, an angle which when you look through it you see poor locomotive rusting away in yards, is that preservation when we waste money building somthing new? Engines which worked all their life hard to give us what we have today (Global Cooling), disgarded for somthing newer? How will you feel when you get old and people don't want to know you, want to talk to somone new, even though you have the same potential, because that's what it's like. Another example is the SKLR where's the £3m being chucked at that? £5,000 is good but what about the other £2,950,000?
Your about the only person anywhere that things it was a waste of money, laods of people put time and money into it
Not really, whenever I've spoken to people who volunteer at the FfR about it they've agreed.
why did you build a new coach,  you probably could have bought an old coach and re painted it etc
Please point me in the direction of a FfR 102 that exsists let alone being for sale or costing less than £30.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 pm

SillyBilly wrote: But are these people looking at it from the right angle, an angle which when you look through it you see poor locomotive rusting away in yards, is that preservation when we waste money building somthing new? Engines which worked all their life hard to give us what we have today (Global Cooling), disgarded for somthing newer? How will you feel when you get old and people don't want to know you, want to talk to somone new, even though you have the same potential, because that's what it's like. Another example is the SKLR where's the £3m being chucked at that? £5,000 is good but what about the other £2,950,000?
Your about the only person anywhere that things it was a waste of money, laods of people put time and money into it
Not really, whenever I've spoken to people who volunteer at the FfR about it they've agreed..
must be an FFR thing.

but we have restored the things the old people gave us, we have done that, now we can give the younger generation somthing we have made, how would you feel if the younger generation didnt want to know you.
and tornado will be working most of its life, hauling passengers on the mainline and other railways. maybe go abroad.

and u say i am a depressing person.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 pm

You both have entirely valid points... and to an extent, I agree with both of you.

However, she's been built now so there's Llareggub either of ya can do about it, so stop blummin' arguing ;)

It's nice to see her running anyway :icon_smile: whatever your feelings, you cant deny she's an impressive loco.

Billy, I won't ask you for your feelings on Taliesin then :twisted:
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:It's nice to see her running anyway :icon_smile: whatever your feelings, you cant deny she's an impressive loco.

So is Blue Peter......
I like Taliesin, we don't allready have a loco that looks identical.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:
Its a rubbish loco and a waste of money, i could buy somthing els nice for that money.
They could have done Jerry M , or Caledonia ;)

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:55 pm

SillyBilly wrote: I like Taliesin, we don't allready have a loco that looks identical.
But the same style engine has been done before. so why make it again. ;)

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:28 pm

SillyBilly wrote:
Endless, Nameless wrote:It's nice to see her running anyway :icon_smile: whatever your feelings, you cant deny she's an impressive loco.

So is Blue Peter......
Be quiet, that was tongue in cheek, you weren't supposed to start arguing over her instead :lol:

Taliesin is lovely- but you're biased as a FfR fan; an LNER enthusiast would probably consider a single Fairlie to be closer to a double than an A1 is to A2... Everyone is biased.

Me, well, I'd have like 'em to drag Evening Star and 6000 out of their respective museums and put them on the mainline. But I'm a confirmed Swindon nut; I reckon both of you would disagree on that :P
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm

many said it couldnt be done and now it has :D

before their where problems concerning replacement boilers well now we can make them instead of robbing scrap ebgine of them.
A steam propelled life-style.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:

So is Blue Peter......
Be quiet, that was tongue in cheek, you weren't supposed to start arguing over her instead :lol:

Taliesin is lovely- but you're biased as a FfR fan; an LNER enthusiast would probably consider a single Fairlie to be closer to a double than an A1 is to A2... Everyone is biased.

Me, well, I'd have like 'em to drag Evening Star and 6000 out of their respective museums and put them on the mainline. But I'm a confirmed Swindon nut; I reckon both of you would disagree on that :P
so would I :)
A steam propelled life-style.