Gas

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Gas

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:26 pm

please could some of the edrig owners tell me, what gas do i need to fill an edrig? i was just reading the post from simon about his gas, and read that you can use lighter gas to fill and edrig, is this so? or do i need something else? propane or butane, or a mix? thanks

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Officially it's pure butane, and that's what I use- supposed to be used in blowtorches I believe.

Definitely don't use pure propane, but as far as I'm aware the 70/30 butane/propane mixes (the easiest to find) is usually considered OK. Don't quote me on that though...
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Lighter gas is butane, so yes it can be used in an Edrig, or any other gas fired engine. Basically your choice of fuel is Butane or Butane/Propane mix, accucraft advise straight Butane but you can use the mix if you can't get straight butane or it is cold (the mix burns hotter so is best for below 10 degrees c)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm

But if you do not have an adapter for the B/P gas can I would reccomend Lighter Fluid as they're fitted with the ronson type valve.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:51 pm

I admit I forgot where the Edrig gas filler valve is- most of them seem to be a right pain to get to with a lighter gas cannister!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 pm

About 3/4 of the way bak from the front of the sidetank.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Easier to get at than most then! Well, in my limited experience anyway... I know you'd struggle to get to both my Caradoc's and my old mamod's gas tanks without an adaptor.
Matt

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:21 pm

I've run my Edrig on butane propane mix with no trouble. They suggest Butane only, but thats because they dont want to accept liability if the tank blows up if your silly enough to put it in a water bath and use B/P mix! But Butane is the definate gas to use, I have recently switched, because I have been advised for Bertie not to use b/p mix. You can get it in B&Q where the blow tourches etc are, so if you have one near, you can probably source it there. You'll need a gas can adapter for it though, so if you find a lighter refil one, that will have the adapter on it already.

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:57 pm

thanks for all the tips. hopefuly get edrig tomorrow then, and ill sort some bits out. i have some lighter gas in the workshop, not sure how much, but could get some from a petrol station tomorrow if we stop at one as im away tomorrow.

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:08 pm

please could someone tell me which nozzel i need on my gas to fill edrig?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 pm

You don't need to fit one, the standard allready moulded on one is the right one. Did the loco turn up?

Rob
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Rob » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:16 pm

cheers will. recieved edrig yesterday along with 30yds of peco track. gave edrig a run after i found out how to fill the gas tank. gave him 3 runs this morning. 2 runs on blocks as it was raining, and 1 run on a 5yd stretch of track outside when the rain stopped. he ran like a dream.