Page 1 of 1

Switches

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:37 pm
by Si
Question for those that use battery powered engines with manual control. What switches do you use for the power?

I've used bog standard toggle switches, as sold by squires, maplin, etc, but find the action in these pretty stiff. I would like to just be able to flick the switch with my finger as the train goes past to stop it, but with these I find that flicking with the finger can lead to actually pushing the engine off the track. thus one has to try to match one's hand movement to the speed of the train and push against the buffer beam with the thumb to get the the switch to flick. And being as cack handed as i am this too can have the engine off the track!

Any ideas?
Cheers.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 pm
by Chris Cairns
The only manual control electric locomotive I have running is an IP Engineering Lollypop Railcar. This uses a double pole slide switch which I mounted inside the rear bulkhead and it is easily moved whilst the railcar is running to either stop or change direction.

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:12 pm
by Si
Sounds like IP have found a source of less stiff ones than mine.

Push buttons - that's a good idea..I shall away to experiment.

thanks