Fitting RH CLCH Combination lever + Crosshead set

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Post Reply
User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Fitting RH CLCH Combination lever + Crosshead set

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi,

I am building a Lady Anne chassis kit and can't seem to fit the CLCH kit. Does it simply just slide over the piston rod and slide bar as when I try to push it on I get a lot of resistance and when I try and bolt it to the piston and connecting rods the bolt only turns a few times and then gives loads of resistance.

Cheers,

Tom

WVLR

Post by WVLR » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I fitted them to my Lady Anne and my Katie, in both cases
I had to fettle things to get them to fit properly.

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 am

I've fitted them to my Lady Anne also, I had to do a bit of fettling as it wouldn't fit on the slide bars. A small file managed to sort things out quick enough.

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Fitting RH CLCH Combination lever + Crosshead set

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:28 am

tom_tom_go:84815 wrote: when I try and bolt it to the piston and connecting rods the bolt only turns a few times and then gives loads of resistance.
Not sure about the CLCH crosshead, but if it's the folded crosshead they use now on some locos it is already a rattling fit and not thick enough to file.

Whatever crosshead they supplied it has to be a sloppy fit on the slidebar, so test it on it's own first, before fitting it to the piston.

The mounting screws are a rattling fit in the slidebar holes, so you can then adjust the slidebar so it is the correct distance from the piston rod for the crosshead to still run freely. Also check that the slidebar is parallel to the piston rod both horizontally and vertically.

The pin for the little end is a shouldered bolt so the crosshead and coupling rod are free to move when it is done up tight. You usually need to rattle the crosshead and connecting rod around a bit to make sure the shoulder is in the holes in both parts as you drive the bolt home.

Regards,
Graeme

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I've just fitted some to a Katie I have stripped and rebuilding. They wouldn't go on and had to be filed to fit. Not much so the usual file a bit and offer up till a nice loose sliding fit is obtained, all good now.

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Cheers chaps.

I have one fitted now and although everything is moving it is not as smooth as before I connected the connecting rod so maybe once I fit the other side up it will be alright.

WVLR

Post by WVLR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I found with mine that I had to bend the end of the piston rod (with the threaded hole) slightly as well as fileing to make things fit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests