Page 1 of 1

Can you paint numbers with the 16mm NGM stencil

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 am
by Chris Cairns
Looking through the many excellent Topics on other members rolling stock it has become apparent that numbering my rolling stock may improve their looks.

I'm not great at using a fine paint brush (just bought another one to see it if improves my 'sign' writing), and do not really want to use transfers or letraset so I wondered if I could use the brass stencil that the 16mm NGM gave away a couple of years ago.

Image

In the full size world I've seen these used to good effect (our railway group has used them for numbering wagons) with little paint overspray using a spray can, but take that into the 16mm scale world and the stencil is 19 times smaller whilst the same spray can is now effectively 19 times bigger.

Tried sticking the stencil to a wagon side with masking tape and paper to cover the parts not being sprayed. Sprayed vertically to a number on the stencil but the paint wicked on the inside of the stencil and so was just a big smudge. Tried the same using a paint brush but again the paint wicked on the inside face of the stencil so just another blob of paint.

Spraying vertically down is obvious not right, but has anyone got a good technique to use this stencil to paint numbers onto my rolling stock without the paint wicking on the inside of the stencil?

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 am
by Narrow Minded
Chris, the best way to use the stencil is to cut yourself a small square of sponge (any "kitchen" type will do), dip the sponge into the paint and remove most of it (so you're effectively "dry brushing"), then dab the paint on.

It's a lot harder to describe than actually do!
Try it on a piece of card or whatever and I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it! :D

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:57 am
by Chris Cairns
Thanks Greg. I've heard the phrase 'dry brushing' several times before but never really looked into it until now.

I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way the other 'dry brushing' sounds like a good technique for a bit of body rejuvenation!

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:17 am
by LnBmad
Airbrushing would produce the best results with this. However, for ease you can sponge it as described above. 'Drybrushing' is actually a term for highlighting/ weathering edges whereby you take a small amount of paint on a soft brush and the wipe the excess off till if feels 'dry' only leaving a dusty pigment you can then apply. Sponging is a method to apply paint in a mottled effect, depending on the amount of paint on the sponge depends on the final effect. If the sponge is wet with paint you can dab and cover an area with colour (this I'd recommend for your application) if the sponge is dabbed dry on a piece of tissue you can then create scale paint chips and weathering effects.

Re: Can you paint numbers with the 16mm NGM stencil

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am
by GTB
Chris Cairns:84326 wrote: I'm not great at using a fine paint brush (just bought another one to see it if improves my 'sign' writing), and do not really want to use transfers or letraset
I used to use a pen when I was hand lettering in the small scales and I assume they still make dip pens for calligraphy use. Check your local craft shop if you have one. Humbrol enamel works OK with the pens I have.

There is a special brush for use with stencils in full size. They look a bit like a shaving brush and are used in a dabbing motion. Much like using a sponge as described by Narrow Minded.

A google search will turn up videos using stencils for craft work. The technique will be much the same.

Graeme

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm
by Gremlin
I wonder if a cheap small hoghair paint brush cut down would make a good stipple brush, worth a try.

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
A 000 sabel brush and letter by hand its a fine art and with practice the stencil will soon become redundant.