Page 1 of 1
Soldered Track
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 pm
by Catweasel
Any one got experience of soldered track in the garden? Thank you.
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:51 pm
by DLRdan
Not had experience of fully soldered track but I have got a few joints that have been soldered. The ones I have got are on a curve and the expansion/ contraction of the rail broke the joint within a few days.
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm
by tom_tom_go
Are you looking to solder for electric rail pick up?
Soldered points
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 pm
by Vapouriser
I ve araldited points! And odd different pieces of track. Its fine. Just file down the.lumps.
Soldered Track
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm
by Catweasel
My line won't be electric,but I only intend to run battery loco's. The water here in Basingstoke is rock hard,you can almost write with it. I don't even use it in the car! However, to get back on track

,I'm undecided as to what track to use. I don't like Peco 'cos of the huge rail and long points. I've got a fair bit of Faller which looks finer and, being brass, weathers better. No orrible shiny rails. I'm building a small indoor line using Code 100 rail and it looks better proportioned for diddy loco's.
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:22 pm
by Stewart Gethin
In theory, soldering lengths of track should work as long as every few rail lengths an expansion joints are left to allow for the track movement. But it may also come down the the finer details of what sort of solder etc you use.
Stew