Edenhouse 'Ralph' Coal fired Locomotive

Announcements on new models and reviews should be posted here
benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Edenhouse 'Ralph' Coal fired Locomotive

Post by benchmark » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

Gentlemen , I will like to introduce and possibly present the first ever user review of this 7/8ths coal fired locomotive made by Edenhouse.

I ordered one of these locomotives sometime last year with the plan that i would collect it at the AGM this year. Over this time, i had corresponded with the makers and a few had a few adjustments made to suit my personal desire. Likewise i had to wait for them to get their in-house tooling in order so that they could iron out a few rough edges from the prototype models.

I have been made to understand that there has been lots of contention about the makers 'Edenhouse' , who had apparently  bought over the very controversial  'Sabre steam loco' business when it went out of commission but i do not know the details so i will only stick to talking about the bespoke loco they produced for me.

They promised me a locomotive at a very competitive price and i felt i would give them a fair chance and try them out.

It came in an attractive carrier box with very classy leatherwork and the makers logo on the front . Inside was the locomotive, a user manual, Boiler certificate, shovel, fluebrush and rectus valve male tip for water topping.

The locomotive uses the already tested and proven Roundhouse running gear . The buffers ,smokebox , pressure gauge and safety valve are also Roundhouse . The Boiler is subcontracted to order , the chassis and bodywork are made in house as i was told.

It is gauge adjustable ( 32mm and 45mm).

If you want to know more about hem, you can contact them via their website.  http://www.edenhouse-locos.com

Back to my loco, please pardon the dirt/ash particles and grime in the photos as they were taken after my attempt to fire it up on coal which i must confess could have gone more elegantly.

There are a few perks which i would like improved on subsequent models, for example a boiler blow-down valve on the sight glass, also i did not like the Teflon tape used on some of the fittings so i unscrewed them and used high temperature silicon gasket material instead.
By and large, these are small things which can be improved on.

The Loco feels solid in hand,  heavy and firm and the bodywork is not flimsy at all. The body is secured with hex screws all round and can be easily removed if you want to create a Hunlset looking locomotive from the chassis.

The locomotive does not have a water pump , instead of this it comes with a precision Rectus valve to top up the water , the Rectus valve locks the feeder pipe in place so you can refill with just one hand and a water bottle.
Edenhouse claim that you can get about a 10min run on one tankfull, though i have not yet tested that claim yet .

My reasoning is that , if i have to keep tending a fire every few laps, i may as well give it a few squirts of water at the same time.

I have only attempted to fire her up 3 times now and being a newbie to coal firing coupled with the fact that i may have purchased anthracite which was probably not the best quality in the market , the first 2 attempts did not go well .  After some good tips 'n' tricks from the internet, the 3 attempt went much better and i got a few run laps out of her on my very uneven garden railway in the chilly danish breeze of 10 degrees centigrade.

So far , i am satisfied with the locomotive and i am working on my coal firing skills which i must point out is not as easy as my other gas fired  locos but nevertheless very satisfying.

I will also add a short video taken at the moment with a mobile phone since that is all i had at hand.

As my coal firing experience improves , i will keep you abreast of the developments with this loco.

Last edited by benchmark on Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u16YUPeYig?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u16YUPeYig?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu May 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I think you might have a valve gear timing problem there. Plus the way the smoke puffs out of the firebox door when you open it might suggest a daughting problem, the blower should really be pulling that up the chinmney even with the fire door open.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Looking at the photos on their website, plus your photos and video it looks to me that the boiler slopes down from the back of the smoke box fitting. Is that normal or by design, or is it just the way the boiler bands are?

Is that the standard chimney fitted or a customised version?

Chris Cairns.

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Sir haydn:82993 wrote:I think you might have a valve gear timing problem there. Plus the way the smoke puffs out of the firebox door when you open it might suggest a daughting problem, the blower should really be pulling that up the chinmney even with the fire door open.
I Think you are right, the Valve timing needs to be adjusted for smoother running.

As regards the draugthing, i may be at fault there as i am still learning how much or how little it has to be cracked open to create the right balance between sufficient blower activity and steam conservation.

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Chris Cairns:82995 wrote:Looking at the photos on their website, plus your photos and video it looks to me that the boiler slopes down from the back of the smoke box fitting. Is that normal or by design, or is it just the way the boiler bands are?

Is that the standard chimney fitted or a customised version?

Chris Cairns.
Yes, it does slope slightly, dunno if its normal but i assume it is to make sure the end of the boiler with the most heat has the most water.

The chimney is standard .

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 pm

The boiler should certainly not slant as this will expose the top of the tubes at the smokebox end of the boiler at lower water levels. This may also make the smokebox seal to the boiler leak as the joint will not be square

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Sir haydn:83009 wrote:The boiler should certainly not slant as this will expose the top of the tubes at the smokebox end of the boiler at lower water levels. This may also make the smokebox seal to the boiler leak as the joint will not be square
Interesting , but isn't the end of the tubes always exposed in vertical boilers? Likewise, even if it was perfectly horizontal, the only way all fire tubes can be submerged under water is keeping the boiler nearly filled at all times and never ever running on a slope, which as we all know is not possible at all even in my perfectly square coal fired Portable Marshal traction engine or even my L.C mason 'Minnie' .

As regards the seal between the smoke box and boiler, it seems tight and free from leaks as far as i see , I will keep you updated if is is not airtight with time.
Last edited by benchmark on Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 pm

With a multi tube boiler you are going to expose the tubes alot quicker though. The problem with the boiler is that its not square into the smoke box, if that joint is not air tight then it will effect the draw on the fire and production of steam. I think if i had bought a new loco i would want it to be square.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Can you take some photos of inside the smokebox and underneath ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 am

DLRdan:83016 wrote:Can you take some photos of inside the smokebox and underneath ?
Sure thing mate.

here