Locomotive Makeover Parts Availability Online

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Locomotive Makeover Parts Availability Online

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Looking for some information on where to obtain locomotive makeover parts online.

I've got 2 Mamod smoke boxes with the silly little flat brass piece made to look like a set of handles. But I would like to fit proper brass handles so that I can hang my buckets from these. Anyone know a dealer who sells these separately?

You see them on all the more expensive locos made by the likes of Roundhouse, Accucraft, etc. but they appear to be not available as spare parts.

Anyone do white metal lubricators as the cost of the lost wax brass ones at £10 is a bit steep when I've got to add a pipe to the bottom to make them look functional?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:21 pm

The lubricators from lineside delights are £8 but when you think how much effort goes in to making somthing that small you can appreciate the cost. I thought GRS may have done lubricators but I couldn't find any on there site.

ptlrcecil and Bungle have nice smokebox darts on their mamods so they may be able to help. Have you recomended to Dream Steam that they make them?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 pm

SillyBilly wrote:The lubricators from lineside delights are £8
Now £8.95, and no pipes (which I think are missing on 'Isabelle' and andysleigh's edrig as well, but they are on the edrig on ebay at present), and currently no longer available from Brandbright. Yes I could not find any in GRS's website either. Not a major makeover item for me so I'll probably not bother.

Cannot remember if I discussed smoke box handles with Alan (Mamodevon - Dream Steam), but the other Alan (alan2525) is considering adding them to his expanding home made items.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I couldn't find any pipe of the right diamter, and even then I'm not too sure If I could of done a good enough job of attaching it.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:47 pm

What about a bit of copper wire if you carefully drill out the bottom of the lubricator?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm

The stuf I've got is about 1mm diam.. Also if you mess up then it's £4.50 worth of casting down the drain.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Or the plastic ink tube from a very small pen.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:52 pm

www.talisman.ng-works.net/16mm/parts/locos/
Have a look at the bottom of that page Chris.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for that one William. I had seen their site before but had not kept it in my Favourites.

By the way URL should be - http://talisman.ng-works.net/16mm/parts/locos/

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:14 am

I was under the impression that the guy who does the castings for talisman was ill and was no longer taking orders? The brass castings in the brandbright catalogue are by talisman and a lot of those aren't available. I've had an order with them on the go for about 6 months...

...something may have happened in the meantime, maybe the moulds are in new hands and someone else is supplying the castings?

They have a lot of nice parts though, they seem to be a lot of high quality lost wax brass catings too...not the regular poor quality white metal fittings.
For Custom CNC Engraved Nameplates and Worksplates
http://www.loco-plates.co.uk

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Ah, this would be why :( .
Peter Coulter the man behind Talisman Castings, did pass away this saturday 20th of September. We will all remember him as a generous and very dedicated man, both in general and when it comes to our hobby. His creations have been used and admired by people all over the globe. It was one of his last wishes that Talisman should remain, and so it will. It will take some time for us to re-arrange, but it will happend. Glynis, his wife, will continue his work. All our thoughts goes to her and there family in this difficult time.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Handles

Post by fred » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Dear Chris, try STEAM4FUN he does doors and handles for the Mamod mobiles, and I am sure they the same size,
Yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!
'WILL IT GO ROUND THAT CURVE?'

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Thank you Fred. Yes I've seen the smoke box door & dart from Steam4Fun on ebay, but they do not have a photo of it on their website. The smoke box door is designed to go on top of a Mamod TE1A or SR1A smoke box, but I do not think it would look right on top of a Mamod or MSS loco smoke box with the raised hinged strap.

alan2525 & Dream Steam are both talking about introducing these brass smoke box door handles hopefully.
SillyBilly wrote:Ah, this would be why
Hopefully they will be able to continue the range. So I'll hold off my order for now, as I had already seen that Brandbright had dropped these lubricators from their range.