Just subscribed to Garden Rail

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Just subscribed to Garden Rail

Post by Keith S » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 pm

I just got an online subscription to Garden Rail magazine. The pictures are excellent and the articles are enjoyable. I didn't know that with a subscription you get access to all past issues as well. I've spent the day reading and looking at pictures as well as rolling my "Billy" back and forth on the kitchen counter daydreaming about having my own railway. There's lots to look at in there.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 pm

I havent been subscribed to Garden Rail for a few years, I prefer 16MM TODAY for my model reading.
A steam propelled life-style.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 am

Yes I would like to read 16mm Today as well, but I don't think it has an online version. The post would be kind of expensive to Canada. Also I like to look at the "gauge 1" live steam engines, which you sometimes see in Garden Rail. I am not interested in having a standard gauge garden railway, but some of the locomotives are very nice indeed.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:55 am

Keith S:82290 wrote:Yes I would like to read 16mm Today as well, but I don't think it has an online version. The post would be kind of expensive to Canada. Also I like to look at the "gauge 1" live steam engines, which you sometimes see in Garden Rail. I am not interested in having a standard gauge garden railway, but some of the locomotives are very nice indeed.
fair enough, the 16MM TODAY is a rather thick heavy mag and it usually comes with some other stuff so it would probs be high postage to Canada

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 am

Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 pm

That DOES look nice. I'm sure it's an excellent magazine. I wouldn't benefit much from being a member of that group though. :(

Peter L
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Peter L » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Keith S:82319 wrote:That DOES look nice. I'm sure it's an excellent magazine. I wouldn't benefit much from being a member of that group though.  :(
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to be a member - but that's a lot of money for basically just a quarterly magazine. If there was a (cheaper) web-only subscription it would be a no-brainer though. They couple e-mail a pdf of magazine.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

I wouldnt say you wouldnt benefit, Im sure theres a Canadian and North American sector who hold annual get togethers.
Dont quote me on that though, it wouldnt hurt to look into it and ask if theres any known members local to you.
You never know where youll find 16mm modellers.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Ha, ha. There's NO-ONE local to me... look up Yellowknife on google earth.

There was that thread a couple of years ago, about a wagon that was making its way about different 16mm lines, and I was surprised and pleased to see there were a couple in Ontario, which is the province I am from. Still, a whole days' worth of air-travel away. If I were to try to drive it, it would take over 50 hours of straight driving.

The only advantage I can think of to being a member of that particular organization is that I am determined to go to England sometime and visit some garden railways there.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:57 pm

:D We tend to forget "how big" the rest of the planet actually is living on our small sceptered isle ;)

Actually Keith, I hope you do make it over some day - and you certainly don't have to be a member of the 16mm organisation to visit other lines!
(In these days of austerity & thrift, I'm seriously considering my membership renewal)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Narrow Minded wrote:In these days of austerity & thrift, I'm seriously considering my membership renewal
That was why I did not renew my membership a couple of years ago.

However I decided to join again this year which got me £2 discount on the Peterborough ticket plus the excellent Show guidebook (no need to print off the Floor Plan for my shopping list, etc), a new Members Handbook (which has been updated from my previous one), and the tremendous Modeller's guide to the Leighton Buzzard Railway. All that plus 5 issues of the Bulletin & 16mm Today magazines and a DVD, with insurance cover for those railways that require it (assuming I get to visit one) was to me great value for £17.

Whether I renew next year or not remains to be seen.

Chris Cairns.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm

I totally accept your point Chris, but just to give my own perspective -

first off if you look in your show guide you'll see that I'm listed in there as giving a demo, despite informing them TWICE well in advance that I couldn't make it this year due to work commitments. (This doesn't over inspire me regarding the running of the organisation)

On the subject of "work", I'm usually busy when open days are on so I simply don't get to run where I might need insurance.

The Bulletin is a tremendous addition to the periodical IF you're a member, but virtually useless if you're not. (This is merely an observation - I would never "knock" it, since this is where I got my Bertie ;) )

The DVD is excellent quality and highly entertaining - I've seen worse (and better) films of garden lines on YouTube.

The "Handbook" is first class - a highly recommended publication for newcomers to the hobby and worthy addition to the reference library of older hands too. (I've kept all mine - it's interesting to see how things have changed over the years...... I picked up my missing copies from Ebay)

The production values of the other "extras" are unquestionable, though the desirability is down to the individual. For example due to the subject matter I found the Leighton Buzzard guide pretty "take-it-or-leave-it" yet the previous Penrhyn Quarry Railway guide a "must have item".
Also, freebies like the brass fret of etched signs/lamp irons/stencil etc from a couple of years back was first class!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm considering my membership renewal, so I'd advise anyone to consider joining rather than throw my hat into the ring and urge people to join ;)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Narrow Minded:82360 wrote:first off if you look in your show guide you'll see that I'm listed in there as giving a demo, despite informing them TWICE well in advance that I couldn't make it this year due to work commitments. (This doesn't over inspire me regarding the running of the organisation)
That wouldn't have happened if I'd been running it...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm

MDLR:82367 wrote:
Narrow Minded:82360 wrote:first off if you look in your show guide you'll see that I'm listed in there as giving a demo, despite informing them TWICE well in advance that I couldn't make it this year due to work commitments. (This doesn't over inspire me regarding the running of the organisation)
That wouldn't have happened if I'd been running it...............
Valid point, well made Brian ;)
I get the impression that no-ONE is running it this year, it seems more like a committee effort with the obvious pitfalls that entails.

If I may continue to Bungle this thread, I've personally found it quite embarrassing to have to reply to PM's and messages from people arranging to meet up at Peterborough after reading the show guide.
(Which also rubs more than a little "salt in the wound" when I'd really like to be there!)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Did they get anyone to do your demo for you and what demo was it going to be?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:82369 wrote:Did they get anyone to do your demo for you and what demo was it going to be?
I've no idea what's happening Zach - I have a principle that if I've repeated myself once and had no response, then repeating myself any number of additional times is likely to be a further waste of time.

It was to have been a revision of last year's "Building Resin Rolling Stock" if you fancy taking along a kit and some modelling materials ;)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:25 am

I've got way too many half built carriages and wagons - if it were to be "Finishing off projects" then I'd jump for it, I might be a bit busy anyway - been asked to Judge this year on the MOTY!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:82374 wrote: - been asked to Judge this year on the MOTY!
Applications for MoTY:

- Must have a white roof where applicable
- Must be in GER Blue
- Must not go over a scale 2.2mph
- If you follow these guidelines then you have a high chance of winning
- Persons who wrote this must have their coat and be making their way towards the door

As the application for MoTY 2014 said... :cya:

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:11 pm

I believe Atlantic Publishers will be in attendance... I have a subscription to Garden Rail with them and I do quite enjoy reading both the 16mm today and Garden rail mags...

Did write an article for Garden Rail... its not been published yet though :/
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 pm

What was it about Laurance?
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake