Plasticard Loco for newbie.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
RoyP
Cleaner
Cleaner

Plasticard Loco for newbie.

Post by RoyP » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Thinking of making my first attempt at a 16mm plasticard loco, not sure if it's to be steam or diesel outline.

Thinking of using the IP Deluxe 0-4-0 Electric Chassis, but would be glad of any tips or if you can guide me to a web site perhaps where others have pictures and tips of their own creations.
Thanks.

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Pete has built a Simplex on the Budget chassis and i think SB has aswell, im in the process of building one too. If you PM them im sure they will help with plans and dimensions.

Also if your looking for somthing like a Kit try LOCOLINES

Will
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi RoyP, I don't know your modelling background or skill level, so it all depends on what to build. I'd go for a small diesel outline if you are a begineer. I built a Simplex for a mate on a IP budget chassis: see: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftop ... -asc-0.php

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Yes, the I.P budget chassis is strong aslong as you fit a 4w drive set, and glue the gears to the axles. Of course the Deluxe is even more powerful, has outside cranks, and you don't have to deal with mounting the chassis and coupling heights.

My Simplex is constructed mainly from Aliminium and Steel, but plasticard is far easier to work with if you don't have a workshop. Go for a decent thickness of plasticard, and remember it's cheap stuff so can afford to mess up. Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:20 pm

I'd certainly reccomend the Deluxe chassis rather than the budget one. Sure, it costs a bit more, but having tried engines using both chassis at the MVR, I know which one has given better performance! Putting it together is a bit fiddly though...