Steam on Underground

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Steam on Underground

Post by Crackingjob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Trial run of first steam loco for years repeating first journey of 150 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20759707

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

That coach has run on the Ffestiniog Railway this year.It was rebuilt at Boston Lodge.
Ian
WLR

dws
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dws » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm

spooner:78138 wrote:That coach has run on the Ffestiniog Railway this year.It was rebuilt at Boston Lodge.
But it did not carry any passengers on the the Ffestiniog Railway :roll:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 pm

It hasn't carried passengers on the UndergrounD yet - only staff & media.........................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Great film, thanks for posting it. I've been enjoying the picyures in the papers too, very atmospheric. Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner...

My only experience of mainline steam as a passenger was "Steam on the Met" years ago - I think I was pulled by the 94xx pannier tank and possibly a Standard tank too, Met 1 being on static display in a siding. I guess it was out of ticket at the time.

Steam on the Met was great fun, very relaxed and very reasonably priced - which was how I could afford it, unlike next years £150 tickets! The only fly in the ointment was the big hairy men who considered themselves to have a God-given priority on droplight windows because they had flashy cameras, resorting to shoving me (a skinny teenager at the time) out of the way. Oh well... I STILL prefer to enjoy steam by absorbing it with my eyes rather than being distanced from it by a camera lense, and still have to put up with the attitude of the flashy camera brigade...

Looking forward to seeing photos of the Met 150 runs - the ones taken by nice polite photographers of course...

Cheers,

Andrew.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm very disappointed that I couldn't afford the £150 steam tickets, but a friend and I have managed to get seats for one of the Sarah Siddons-hauled runs. To me, the coaches are perhaps even more exciting than the motive power. After all, on most main line tours you can't ride in anything older than a Mk. 1. This is a really unique opportunity to experience underground travel as it was 100 years ago, riding in a real Victorian wooden-bodied compartment coach through the very heart of London. I'm looking forward to it 8)

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26 am

Interesting. We had some steam above and underground in the US at one time too.

Also more interesting and odd was the comment that the video contained flash photography?!?
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 am

Spule 4 wrote:Also more interesting and odd was the comment that the video contained flash photography?!?
Health and Safety requirement to warn those that suffer from the photo-sensitive variety of epilepsy. Rather than have every piece of film tested for the dangerous 25Hz flickering our news services give out that warning instead.

And Flash Photography or the use of additional lighting is actually not permitted on any London Underground platform!!!!

Chris Cairns.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Happy Birthday London Underground!

I'm sure many of you will have seen this allready, but you I'm sure those that don't will want to know this happend this morning. Sunday is going to be a day to remember. I've even got tickets :D!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20968919

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

So have I - perhaps I'll see you there! :lol: