Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:12 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:25 pm Another one in the bag. :thumbright:

Just occurred to me, isn't this is the longest-running thread on the forum?
I just like to keep busy and let you know what I'm up to.... well, the things I can put in print anyway!
My current project (or one of them), is another Boot Lane Works 3D printed kit of Kerr Stuart and Co. Corris Railway Number 4 (1921), although in re-built condition of 1952 by Hunslet Engine Company, with modified cab, for the Talyllyn Railway. The kit contains parts for either version to be modelled. It also includes a 'character face' to give a 'Thomas the Tank' look.... I'm unsure about that.... no I'm not!!!!
I must be slacking as I've had this kit since visiting the Garden Railway exhibition at Llanfair Caereinion (Welshpool and Llanfair Railway) on 2nd September. Build progress will surely follow.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:43 pm

Although I have made a start on the Boot Lane Works kit it hasn't been my priority for the past few days. I have acquired another 'Emett' style loco through a strange connection. I attended a Toy and Train fair on Nov. 4th. and some friends there informed me of someone approaching traders with an offer of an Emett locomotive, and some scratch-built '0' gauge models. The traders (who all knew me and my Emett interest), mentioned this to me, although after he had left the show. I immediately connected this loco with someone I knew some years ago, another Peter! He has since died and his daughter was trying to find a new home for it via the visitor.
Fortunately a telephone number had been taken and I made contact. I now have the loco to add to my collection and after some repairs etc. it will fit in well as it is identical in scale...
100_0617.JPG
100_0617.JPG (253.28 KiB) Viewed 9631 times
It has a 32mm gauge scratch-built chassis, but the motor has expired. The bodywork is brass and shows signs of wear. The paintwork is a little rough and needs attention throughout. So, some drastic action is called for....
100_0634.JPG
100_0634.JPG (268.39 KiB) Viewed 9631 times
I tried Nitromors first, but to no avail! However, the paint could be chipped and sanded off the brass as it had no primer beneath. This is it now with an etch primer awaiting a top coat....
100_0638.JPG
100_0638.JPG (293.26 KiB) Viewed 9631 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:37 pm

Continuing with the Emett loco a coat of filler primer has been applied. This will disguise most of the earlier paint issues and various bumps and injuries suffered during its lifetime. Some of the brass fittings are masked, others removed...
100_0641.JPG
100_0641.JPG (271.71 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
But what's this?... another project has suddenly appeared!
I'm sure you remember the wonderful 'Stratfordised Baby Garratt' design by Theo Jalil and shown in the thread 'DVLR No. 5' by Dr Bond, well, I expressed my interest in building one at the time and have now begun the project...
Stratfordised garratt 1.png
Stratfordised garratt 1.png (7.16 MiB) Viewed 9597 times
Two 0-4-0 motorised chassis from Boot Lane Works and a generous helping of Plastikard later...
100_0642.JPG
100_0642.JPG (246.9 KiB) Viewed 9599 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:42 pm

Continuing with the Garratt, more detailing to the water tank and bunker. View first of the outer faces of both units...
100_0651.JPG
100_0651.JPG (247.83 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
Secondly, a view of the inner faces of both ...
100_0650.JPG
100_0650.JPG (244.89 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
And a view of the boiler tube set into position awaiting cab etc...
100_0647.JPG
100_0647.JPG (253.39 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
Rivet detail has been added along with steps, fire iron brackets etc. The batteries are in packs, one either end in the tank and bunker.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:47 pm

Looks good, you work quick!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:49 am

Really great watching it take shape. I was going to say 'slowly take shape' but 'slowly' isn't applicable when Peter has the bit between his teeth.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:22 am

I have been making slow progress with the Garratt due to other things taking priority.... Return to the Emett!
Emett is my passion and I couldn't resist concentrating on its return to health. In many ways I felt the need to restore this loco as it had a historic connection to me from some years ago. I knew the maker and wanted to put it back to working order.
The previous pictures show it as acquired with earlier restoration paintwork, possibly by Peter in later years when he was less able to do it as well as he would have liked?
During the stripping down of component parts I tested the running, which revealed a dying motor and stripping gears. The original 3 rail pick-up skate had to be removed and the whole assembly cleaned, fettled and re-painted...
100_0657.JPG
100_0657.JPG (247.32 KiB) Viewed 9437 times

The coarse brass gear wheel was showing wear from the original steel worm, so a replacement Meccano plastic worm was fitted to the new 12v motor. It now runs smoother and will be powered from a trailing wagon with R C Trains control.

The bodywork needed several repairs which showed up after the paint was stripped. In those early days Peter had used what material was available and leaned on his experience in boat-building. So, the saddle tank had been carved from balsa and covered with very thin brass sheet, which had been beaten into shape. It was splitting and needed restoration so I coated it with Milliput, smoothed to shape and painted all surfaces with filler primer.
Brass parts have been cleaned and polished and the original driver figure given the 'Emett' treatment. This meant the attachment of a more appropriate head, resulting in the need to shorten the body to fit under the cab roof. About 15mm had to be taken from his legs, although after a short spell in intensive care, (at least 5 minutes), he was able to stand on his own two feet again!..
100_0654.JPG
100_0654.JPG (280.91 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
100_0656.JPG
100_0656.JPG (265.78 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
I am fully aware that this is repair/restoration, and not conservation, but it has brought this model to life again.

The Garratt will be next on the list..... possibly?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:08 pm

Was this loco inspired by Emett, rather than a direct copy of one of his designs?

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 pm

Emett's locomotives were always different despite the same name, frequently 'Nellie', appearing on many of them. Certain features were repeated, such as the domed saddle tank and tall chimneys, but no two cartoons had identical locomotives.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 pm Emett's locomotives were always different despite the same name, frequently 'Nellie', appearing on many of them. Certain features were repeated, such as the domed saddle tank and tall chimneys, but no two cartoons had identical locomotives.
Well, it certainly looks the part

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:41 pm

Agreed Rik, I think Peter (the builder) made an excellent job of capturing the style.
100_0659.JPG
100_0659.JPG (294.07 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
This is the 'Nellie' locomotive which ran on 15" gauge, passenger carrying railway at the 1951 Festival of Britain Exhibition. It is easy to see the influence this locomotive had on Peter's model. Peter named his model' Tywi', Welsh for the River Towy, which runs by the village where he lived.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:21 pm

Sometimes preservation means starting over. You've done a bang-up job. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:23 am

The inspiration, far exceeds my ability..

But I am musing on thoughts of an Emmett-esque Garratt..
:shock:

Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:45 pm

I'm never short of inspiration as I have a copy of every Emett cartoon book published. My limitation to creating more models is simply having space to store and enjoy them. They all work on my garden railway, so are quite large, this latest addition stands 240mm tall and 280mm long.
One of my current projects is the 'baby Garrett' but will be strictly SM32. I would love to see one Emettised though!
Emett's locos were always small to convey the quaint, rural and outdated appearance, which is, for me, their greatest attraction.

drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator

Post by drewzero1 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:34 pm

Phil.P wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:23 am The inspiration, far exceeds my ability..

But I am musing on thoughts of an Emmett-esque Garratt..
:shock:

Phil.P
I was thinking the same. I kept seeing the wheel-less Emmett loco and the chassis and tenders of the Garratt, and forgetting they were separate projects.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:42 am

Blooming heck Peter, it's taken me ages to read and take in all the work you have done, at least two days of reading and looking in awe of your work again Peter. Why on earth do I take so long to make anything and when I do it's now where near has good as yours.

Those builds of the wagons are just fantastic and I had to pinch myself to see if they were life size and in the real world, but no, Peter Butler did them and we all now what a superb builder he is. :notworthy:

The other builds you have done and in progress are just as brilliant also. There is no end to your absolutely superb building skills. :salute:

Can you hold some workshops and pass on your skills Peter. I would be the first in line waiting to learn from a master such has yourself.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:12 pm

Thank you Rod, you are generous with your kind words (again) and I am grateful for all your support. I have no intention of holding 'workshops' as I know others are just as capable (and better) at building their own models. I work to my personal standard and that's OK for me.
As you can see, I am making two locos simultaneously.... and at the same time!!! and it can get very confusing. I have already painted some parts of one loco in the colours intended for the other. However, there is some progress to report, so here is an update on the Garratt.
The finish colour will be Meadow Green, so it must be a 'Ford Garratt'. The cab is under construction (based on the one shown in the original design by Theo Jalil) and will have as much cab detail as I can possibly manage. Difficult job as I have no knowledge of the mechanics of a steam engine! I do have photographs and drawings of pipework and fittings so can manage to cobble something together to look sort of convincing, perhaps?
My friend Keith has kindly turned some brass gauges for me and I have some printed faces (not T the T) to attach to them. The cab sides will have sliding, timber framed, windows....
100_0662.JPG
100_0662.JPG (303.96 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
100_0663.JPG
100_0663.JPG (295.38 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
100_0667.JPG
100_0667.JPG (196.87 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
Difficult to see, but the window frames are painted brown.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:16 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:12 pm
Difficult to see, but the window frames are painted brown.
They look brown enough to me Peter! :D
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:39 am

Very tidy.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:24 am

An update on the Garratt....
Much of the bodywork has been painted, other than the cab, and some pipework added. I have been concentrating on the cab interior fittings, gauges etc, but can't install them until the cab interior has been painted. The spectacle rims have arrived from Keith but the same applies to fitting them.
Yellow lining, boiler bands and handrails fitted, light weathering and matt lacquer finish...
100_0674.JPG
100_0674.JPG (269.85 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
100_0675.JPG
100_0675.JPG (270.27 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
100_0676.JPG
100_0676.JPG (258.1 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
There are many more features still to be fitted and I have prepared them ready for attachment at the appropriate moment.