best mods for mamods and mss locos

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Lner fan Sam:78348 wrote:
A Janet isn't really a viable option for me as the cost for me is to high so I can't afford one(15 year old here).

Cheers Sam
Owning two modified Mamods (one tweaked and one at super Mamod specs) I think you will find in most cases that (depending on the degree of mods) that a new MSS loco (or decent secondhand Mamod SL) and upgades will equal or exceed the cost of a Jane/Janet, especially if you go with gas instead of meths firing.

Another option RS Steam Services have a S/H Jane for GBP 250 and Anything NG have two at GBP 350, and they show up on eBay every now and again.

Or buy a MkII and be right between the two in prices.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:48 pm

"Swordbreaker" cost me £270 mechanically and then factor in another £98 for the armour and tender...

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:14 pm

go for a mk11 they are great :D

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Spule 4:78353 wrote:Doug, I have always wanted to know, what is the tank under the footplate, just a detail item or is it some sort of functional item?
Hiya,

the golden barrel-tank matches an in-cab handbrake both of which are detailing items which came with the engine as originally bought [as per photo] and have been retained as part of the engine's character :)

In that cab, it furnished a sparse Mamod cab...

...now it makes for 'piano fingers' needed what with the gauges, controls, gas etc but I have happily managed to retain it! :)