Thomas Telford Locomotive - Take Two

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:50 am

Very much looking forward to seeing this new loco develop. A good price for beginners like me... I may have found my first buy when I can gather some disposable wealth! I am thinking a conversion into a Black Hawthorn industrial saddle tank may be in order :-) Is there any news on a 45mm gauge version? The last I heard was that it will only be available in 32mm at first...

mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Called Mamod this morning to see how the Telford, now with oscillators, was getting ready for going on sale. More delays I'm afraid. The speed can't be controlled and it keeps racing away. David said they are now working on a combined gas and steam regulator and hope to have something pretty soon.

To make up for it being an oscillator instead of a slide valve they're thinking of including a number of extras in with the price, such as a pressure gauge.

Personally I'd have ignored a combined gas/steam regulator (which sounds over complicated to me) and fitted radio control instead. Cheddar Ivers were also known for racing away and yet I never had any problem with mine with its factory fitted R/C

Mike
Last edited by mikewakefielduk@btinterne on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 pm

reducing the burner output seems a better idea. I'm glad it is an oscillator as it is what they do best.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

It looks like the Thomas Telford loco is now set for release at Peterborough... http://nationalgardenrailwayshow.org.uk ... efault.htm

I'm actually quite taking by it, the smoke box door makes it look so much better then the mark 2.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Hmmm... Ditch the body work and you have the basis of what could be a very handsome loco
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Has anyone been able to see a picture of it now it has changed..

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Really glad to see the loco will be arriving at last. Unfortunately I won't be at Peterborough this year so will have to wait until one of you other guys review it.

If only they'd ditch the hideous decals on the side tank and replace them with a sophisticated small manufacturer's plate like Roundhouse use. The golden plastic thing is just too toy like.

I wonder if they managed to produce a combined gas and steam regulator that David said they were considering. You can't tell from the single publicity shot.

Mike

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

There's also this article on the Mamod web site:

http://www.mamod.co.uk/mamod-news/more- ... ain-part-1

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I have just realised that if you go into the national garden railway show web, then exhibitors, then Mamod, then Info icon, one can see it!

I think that it is right to be an oscillator and sit in the market as entry point that works well. It shows great modifying and customising potential and now with a better boiler, lubricator and gas supply. If it is as good as it seems, then this could put the old SL1 into the history books. It will be interesting to see the pricing point.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:08 pm

£430 I believe

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Hmm! Do you sell a few at a healthy profit or loads at a low profit?
I think that is too steep and puts the competion of Row wodds Janet or base Accucaft/Roundhouse too near. If Mk2 is 300 what more do you get that is tangeable? 360 would keep it in a niche. Don't forget 445 gets a janet with pressure gauge and steel wheels.
Last edited by steamie1 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 pm

The last time I spoke with David at Mamod (which was a few weeks ago now) he said something along the lines of wanting to keep the price the same as the original Telford with the slide valves but, as oscillators were cheaper, to add some cosmetic features instead, hence the smoke box door.

Personally I agree with you, the price point is getting too close to competitors prices so it will be interesting to see how it sells. I suppose that depends on how it performs on the track. Pity Mamod haven't posted a video.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Just spoke to David at Mamod. He says the revised price is £350 and its about a month away from launch.

Apparently the running away can be controlled with careful tweaking of the regulator (and probably a load for it to pull).

At the new price I anticipate it selling well.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Now that's a tempting price... Hopefully we see it at P'boro!
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Now that's a much better price, the original price was to close to the prices of second hand roundhouse basic series locos...
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 am

There's another photo and comment on Mamod's Facebook page. Unfortunately no photo showing the cab. Apparently Mamod are just waiting for a few items before the launch. They're trying for the Peterborough show but might not make it.

nikkor
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by nikkor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 am

I'm sorry to drop in new to the convo, but does it seem like the TT is more like a Roundhouse or something more modern, am I right?

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 am

Well, sort of, although I don't think Mamod are in a position to go head-to-head with Roundhouse quite yet.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the Peterborough show yesterday where there was a TT on the Mamod stand, so I haven't seen the final design of the loco in person. Perhaps one of those who did attend can add their comments.

That said, what you will get with the TT is a loco with the basic modern Mamod features - pot boiler, sight glass in the rear of the boiler, gas fired, in-line displacement lubricator, oscillating cylinders, pop rivets, etc. But the overall size of the loco has been increased to make it fit better with the 1:19 garden loco scale. You also get more detailing like the dummy smoke box door and a centre buffer and coupling.

Imagine a Mk11 made slightly bigger with a few more cosmetic features and you'll get the general idea.

I'd like to see a video of it running on a track though.

Mike

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:13 pm

So the latest version of the Thomas Telford was painted up and revealed to the eager public at the 16mm National Garden Railway Show yesterday, and I managed to get the latest information from David Terry, and paid a deposit for my advance order (Show price £320 with an RRP of £350).
As seen on their Facebook page Mamod have redesigned the side tanks and this will be the first side tank locomotive where the side tanks are not carried over to the cab sides, like the old Mamod SL/MSS/Piston valve cylinder Mamods which I believe is a welcome change and more visually appealing. So they have effectively brought the lateral C of G slightly more inboard, and the reduced height chassis side frames have lowered the longitudinal C of G and are effectively rectangular with a slight cutout around the bottom of the oscillating cylinder back plates. These changes should improve the running performance.
The Version 2 displacement lubricator has been fitted which has a smaller diameter filler plug sticking out the cab side, and a separate drain plug. I asked David if it had a through steam pipe (like Roundhouse, Accucraft, etc.) unlike the earlier version which had a separate steam in and steam out pipe which led many owners to totally displace their steam oil fill at the start of a run. David was unsure and initially it was very difficult to see into the smaller filler hole. However using my torch sadly it looks like it still has the 2 separate pipes as before. Looking at my photo now I can see that the part where the side tank bottom changes in height has been moved further back thus exposing more of the combustion chamber wall. Has this been done deliberately to solve an issue with air getting to the burner as I see the combustion chamber wall still has those holes drilled through (which our previous tests on the Mark I, Mark II & Saddle Tank locos proved were not necessary - although in this case the front hole on the right side is used to get the main steam pipe from outside the combustion chamber to inside the chassis side frames)?
Just showing the lubricator drain plug and the main steam pipe from the lubricator a bit clearer.
David asked me if I liked the cutout at the rear of the cab roof. I replied that I do not like it but when I had said that in my feedback to Peter Johnson his reply was that it was generally favourable. David said it is actually about 50 for/50 against. This lead on to the question regarding fitting a proper regulator lever as had previously been mentioned. My impression of the response is that it is unlikely to happen now. Whilst these brass wheels do not slip like the plastic knurled knobs on the Mark II/Saddle Tank the 'O' rings slip off too easily and I've yet to find a glue that will hold them in place. Without the 'O' ring fitted you can easily burn your fingers!

I did pass on my suggestion about extending the front running board the full width of the buffer beam to the front of the side tanks to allow more space for fitting detailing items like a toolbox, re-railing jacks, etc. but the initial batch of chassis's have already been laser cut.

So there you have it. No release date yet but already a couple of advance orders in their order book.

Chris Cairns.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks for the update and photos Chris. I must say the loco is looking pretty good.

As for the regulator with a rubber ring around it, it's the same as fitted to the current Mk11. Hardly attractive but it does the job I guess.

Mike