Mamod steel wheel upgrade - special inserts

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 am

Chris Cairns:77417 wrote:I do not think these 'stars' are appropriate for what is supposed to be a narrow gauge locomotive, unless you are going to paint them red and go 'Communist' style.

Chris Cairns.
I put a red Star on a LGB Stainz I painted olive drab and black, it looked the part!!!! Ironically, I sold it to someone in the UK.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 am

What's to stop me from repainting Swordbreaker into Caley livery come April-May...?

the star thing would work if they were the right size. I would recommend 123's as the pattern for simplicity mind. 828's is ornate but complex.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 am

dougrail:77423 wrote:What's to stop me from repainting Swordbreaker into Caley livery come April-May...?
Nothing, I still want to do one in LBSC's passenger gamboge scheme.

http://www.castletrains.com/images/_zoo ... /19060.jpg
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 pm

FOR SALE Dream Steam steel disc wheel inserts (slightly over sized to suit the chromed DS wheels). Simple to file/sand to create a nice tight 'push' fit.

I am making small numbers of the wheel inserts available for sale at £10 per set of 4 plus UK postage by Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded at £1.85. Outside of the UK post will be a little higher but not much more.

If anyone with an interest in purchasing a set of inserts (4 inserts) could PM with that would be great so that I can get a batch ordered up and I can then let you know when the new batch of inserts arrive. Sending me a PM in no way obligates you to purchase. It just gives me an idea of how many to cut. Thanks.

Here is just one of my current projects showing the inserts fitted:

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Peter-

Just out of interest, what is the outside diamteter of the inserts with a caliper in MM? I would like to see if they will fit the PPS/Roy Wood wheels.

PM also sent. :D
Garrett

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Garrett,

The sets that Peter sent me are 1.025" (26.035mm) approx. in diameter.

It took me some time to sand the rim of one down to fit my Dream Steam wheels (probably old IP Eng stock) using a fine grade sandpaper. Even then there is a minute difference between the 2 wheels on the same axle! This sanded insert now measures 1.0125" approx. in diameter.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 pm

The CAD drawing dimension is 26.25mm which comes out slightly less once laser cut. On my analogue Mitutoyo verniers they come out at 26.20 to 26.22. This was from the same batch as the ones sent to Chris so not sure about the variance. The set of 4 I have here measured as above. Hope this helps.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Peter,

It is obviously a function of my Calliper. It is a fibreglass dial calliper in inches and does seem to depend whether you read the 64ths or the 100ths scales. Resetting it to Zero again I get just under 1 1/32" or 1.03" approx.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:59 am

02/02/13 - one set (4 inserts) available for sale. PM me if interested.

UK = £11.85 includes P&P 1st Class Recorded

Outside UK = £13.30 includes P&P Airmail Small Packet

Thanks.