Mamod steel wheel upgrade - special inserts

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Mamod steel wheel upgrade - special inserts

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Thought I would post some progress with another little Mamod project I have on the go. This is the status of the steel wheel inserts to dress them up a bit.

4 no. wheel inserts laser cut from 1mm steel

A pair of plain steel upgrade wheels - now improved

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 pm

They look brilliant! :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Another excellent Mamodification product from the Peter Jones Loco Works. Very Well Done!

As I'm sure you are already aware there are some small differences in size between the plain steel wheels used on Mamods. I have 2 sets from Dream Steam which are slightly different sizes (I suspect the first set was one of the original IP Eng stock that Dream Steam bought out).

Which version of steel wheels are these?

If you are going to have any more made put me down for 2 sets.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback so far.
Which version of steel wheels are these?
The wheel set I have used for these is a bit of an odd one as they are quartered opposite to the DS chromed ones. They are though, for all intents and purposes, identical to the DS ones. The chroming of the DS ones means that my CAD drawing needs some very minor tweaks. As I want the inserts to be an interference fit I am making a revision to the design again before I offer them to anyone. For these ones I had to get a small round file onto the connecting rod pin hole as it was a bit too tight to press in.

I would be happy to supply these inserts to others when I have the product right. I think it will be a mater of only a couple of weeks. I will update the thread accordingly when I get them fitted to the DS wheels (I have a couple of recently purchased sets to try them on).

I do have some IP wheels on my 0-6-0 and these inserts WILL NOT fit these wheels - they need a different design unfortunately.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Well done, would love a set for JanMod, but I think the PPS wheels are yet another set of dimensions!
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Mine, as done by Allan Briggs were steel wheels provided in Oct 2010 from Dream Steam's Plymouth ops when it was closing down.

Now - WOW! :D I'm glad someone has taken over the making of these inserts, they make a hell of a difference to one's loco as I ccan testify :) Looking great Superbiker!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 am

Peter,

Just had another look at your photo of the fitted wheels. It may just be the lighting but looks like the driving wheels do not have a balance weight opposite the crank pin, whereas the trailing wheels do.

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 am

It may just be the lighting but looks like the driving wheels do not have a balance weight opposite the crank pin, whereas the trailing wheels do.
It's just the effect of the lighting. All the inserts have a 'balance weight' opposite the crank pin. Below is another couple of pictures.
There is small white fleck on the drive wheel - a bit of fluff or something. I accept the paintwork could be better :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 am

:wav:  :wav:  :wav:  :thumbup:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:48 pm

First take some Dream Steam aftermarket steel wheels for your Mamod loco:

You will also need a set of 4 x 1mm steel laser cut inserts:

You can then insert them into the wheel recess and paint it black:

Or you can paint the wheel recess first (I chose black again) and then inserted the the inlay in plain steel:

I prefer them black. What do you think?

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Theres gpt to be some red on the wheels to be proper mamod style :D

they look great

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Brilliant SB. I will get some pics as I promised when I come home from Glasgow.

You seem to be good with metal cutting. Could you, I wonder be able to do little Caledonian-style stars for smokeboxes? :)

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

One word... WOW!!!

those wheel inserts make the plain sided upgrade wheels look a millions times better. I have a few questions though...

what is the diameter of the inserts?

And when fitting the inserts is it an interference fit or do you glue them on the wheels.

Sam
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Well done!

Would love to see one in a contrasting color (wheel black, insert loco color).
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Peter,

I think it is very much a personal choice and depends on the type of loco you are modelling. Looking at your photos for me the all black wheel does not really highlight the use of balance quadrants enough, yet the black wheel with plain steel insert on top looks worse.

Although the old Mamods mainly had red wheels they did produce the blue wheels for the SL5 'Prince of Wales' and purple wheels for the SL6 'Mamod Golden Jubilee'. In all cases the ends of the axles and the balance weights are unpainted. MSS have red or black wheels

I have 2 sets of Dream Steam wheels which have slightly different sizes cut out on the front inside the rims. One is fitted to a Maroon IP Jane which was re-gauged from 45mm, and the other fitted to an all black modified SL1K. However the 2nd set will probably be changed for a re-gauged set of holed disk IP Eng ones which may get painted red.

Doug,

I think that your request would be very difficult to achieve whilst keeping it to 16mm scale.

However 'Swordbreaker' in Caledonian Blue would be a nice sight!

Chris Cairns.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Chris,

828's star is far too complicated. I was referring to the simpler star-in-circle of Caley Single 123 which is at th Riverside Museum of Transport, Glasgow where I was yesterday and got the idea from. :)

As seen here: http://scottishtrains.zenfolio.com/p200 ... #h375fa6d7

Swordbreaker's going into GER Express blue livery - the blue is there already. Couldn't stop a future resto tho...would be highly detailed given the bufferbeams and triple-line lining.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Don't know about in the UK, but craft stores in the US are full of little stars like that and even "punches" that can make them out of thin sheet.

One of the many good things about having a spouse that makes cards/scrapbooks! :D
Garrett

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you for the interest and posts about this item.
You seem to be good with metal cutting. Could you, I wonder be able to do little Caledonian-style stars for smokeboxes?
To be honest Doug, the cutting is the easy bit (for me) as I send them to someone else to laser cut! The hard bit and the bit that has required some investment - time and money - is the CAD drawings. I have purchased AutoCAD LT and had to learn to use it to get these parts made. I started with the coal bunker then the half cab back variants including one with working coal hatch. I then progressed onto these and am working on a few more bits and pieces. As to the Caledonian style stars - I am not sure my CAD skills are up to it yet but if the item can be drawn then in prinicipal it can be cut. You just need a good CAD file (.dwg) first. Looking at your link to the photo of the Caley 123 I will see if I can draw the star up in CAD.
what is the diameter of the inserts?
Well Sam - I make these inserts with a diameter of 26.25mm
And when fitting the inserts is it an interference fit or do you glue them on the wheels.
The inserts are an interference fit. The wheels are not all exactly the same so some very slight filing - I use a Dremel - is required. It is then a simple job of pressing / tapping them in with a suitable drift.
Looking at your photos for me the all black wheel does not really highlight the use of balance quadrants enough
Chris - the pictures do not really do the wheels justice IMO as the light reflections picked up in the photo tend to obscure the detail of the wheel inserts. I have tried another photo in natural light albeit at the end of the day when light is begining to fade.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi there

thanks for the speedy reply super biker. When I make my loco I will treat with these superb upgrades.

Also I like Douglas's idea about a Scottish star for the smoke box dart and I would certainly get one for my soon to be loco pioneer.

Whilst we are on the subject of details ( if possible) for the locos would you be able to produce in scale details for mamods. Details like cab roof vents, blower pipes that run along side the boiler, lamp brackets and if space allows on peoples cabs small seats that the crew can rest on. I do realize that these may be not possible to be produced but its food for thought.

If you look at the J72 and the pipe with a slight s bend in it a product like that would improve the look of a mamod greatly.

Again just posting ideas

Sam
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 am

Each to their own style, but I do not think these 'stars' are appropriate for what is supposed to be a narrow gauge locomotive, unless you are going to paint them red and go 'Communist' style. Would also need a specially designed smoke box door with smaller hinges.

Interestingly there does not seem to be a standard 'Caledonian' star as CR419 has a different version to CR828 and CR123.

Chris Cairns.