I take dilivery of the new Mk2 Mamod Ltd. Loco

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

I take dilivery of the new Mk2 Mamod Ltd. Loco

Post by steamie1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

:lol: This is quite an interesting exercise as I have owned Roundhouse, Accucraft and MSS locos. It promises to be refinement of the clever oscillating design with a lubricator to boot. More later. By the way has anyone had previous MK2 running experience?

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:05 am

Welcome to the Forum and membership of the 'Mamod' club.

If you have not already seen my video on the Mamod website have a look here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTH7_uuTiuc

More technical than running information in that video. Make sure you do not overfill the lubricator as it will just get washed out the exhaust very quickly. I would mark the regulator and gas tank wheels with a line or something similar so you can see how much you are turning these.

The gas burners are really too big for this loco so be careful with what setting you use, too high and you get the flames licking over the top of the boiler or out below the side tanks. This will lead to melting the stick-on Mamod transfers which are then very difficult to remove (you may want to consider removing them straight away before you start firing this loco).

The hook couplings are too low to be compatible with centre buffer couplings & 3 link chains, but if you fit a 3 link chain to the hook coupling you can bend the top part of the hook towards the loco which will keep the 3 link chain permanently attached.

Hopefully your loco will be fitted with a copper gas pipe as it has taken some time to get Mamod to make that a standard fit (they previously used a nylon pipe which can be exciting when you have a gas leak that catches fire!).

Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your experiences with this loco in due course.

Chris Cairns.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:19 am

Wow all the info one needs. A masive Thank you!

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

New Mamod Mk2 13/11/12

Post by steamie1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm

This is a jump in quality. It has a different gas knob. Copper gas pipe.Two take off points on the boiler. Taller thinner funnel and the fit and care in assembly equaling the big boys. This is so refreshing. There is even 460 steam oil + a hot light oil fro other moving parts...Yes yes yes...I'm so pleased. Of to run it now!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Good to hear Mamod are listening and improving their products. The spare boiler outlet has been something that the Garden Railway community has been asking for, and was first introduced in the 2nd batch of Brunel locomotives.

The Mark II loco in my video is one of the original batch sent out for evaluation (another one went to Garden Rail magazine) so has the shorter chimney, which Mamod had already said would be increased in length.

Chris Cairns.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

New Mamod Ltd Mk2 Nov 2012

Post by steamie1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I have just tickled it with a square and micrometer. It is better than the MK1 I saw a year ago. Everything is a better! The fit and even the paint looks deeper! Very surprising and nice to see. I think this level of product now makes it a bargain and contender to the big boys! Will run it about 8pm

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

New Mamod Ltd.Mk2

Post by steamie1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 pm

12 min run straight off. It will get a lot better with running in. Might try Roundhouse oil next. Impressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrxcqPI ... re=plcpYou tube Video mmod Mk2 Loco

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 pm

That looks to be a pretty darn good run :) Thanks for showing it us chap - now if only they were as adjustable as the old SLs were...!!!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 am

It is great to see that it did run straight out of the box. A Mamod SL or MSS loco would be hard pushed to achieve that.

I like your shelf railway, and looking through your videos (I've seen the MSS ones before) I see you have a William II as well. Be interesting to hear which loco performs better.

I use 460 oil for all my steam engines, locomotives, mobiles & stationery so will be interested to hear if 220 oil makes any difference.
dougrail wrote:now if only they were as adjustable as the old SLs were...!!!
So what would you want to adjust Doug? Mechanically it is superior to the SL/MSS locos with silver soldered boiler with reheat tubes, 40 PSI safety valve, in-cab regulator, a very large ceramic gas burner, efficient reverser valve, powerful oscillating cylinders and re-engineered wheel sets. Only weakness is the riveted & spot/tack welded bodywork for which there is currently no alternative. Also missing is a decent running board so you could mount sand or tool boxes. Smoke box casting from Steam4Fun will change the front of the boiler (currently painting up 2 for my locos).

Chris Cairns.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 am

Impressed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDrxcqPI ... re=plcpYou tube Video mmod Mk2 Loco
Great loco - nice video - and what a super little railway layout you have!

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:37 am

Chris - the mechanicals are fine (I wonder if mk2 cylinders could be transplanted elsewhere....)

I only wish it was easily dismantleable and the bodywork more tinker friendly. The mechanicals as you listed are brill and the spec seems good - 12mins from out the box is a great start!

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for posting the info about the updates and improvements Steamie, I also enjoyed the article about the shelf layout in the last issue of SMT.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Mamod Mk2 Reg. gas revision. Gas knob cut to a rectangle

Post by steamie1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/1041731771 ... 2308232770

I must say thanks for all the help and encouragement. This loco now runs like a swatch watch. I limit to runs 13mins due water and oil. LOVE IT! No issues in quality, and detailed up it is hard to fault.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 am

Great to hear you are happy with your Mark II locomotive Lloyd.

Mamod seems to have got it right with their oscillating cylinders as both my Mark I & II locos ran very well almost straight out of the box.

Unfortunately I have not had the same experience with my slide valve cylinder powered Mamod locos. Took a long time to get my William to run properly, but I've never been happy with my Brunel loco's running, and similarly currently struggling with my William II loco makeover.

Does make me wonder how the untested slide valve cylinders in the Thomas Telford loco will work out?

Chris Cairns.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

me too

Post by steamie1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:31 am

I Love the Oscillators of new. The looks of the cylinders is forgiven by the simple clever design of how they work and is something different. I had a poor running William and hope with all hopes the Telford is right. The Oscillators hold the market and have a niche. If the slip eccentric jobbies don't match it could damage the companies hard work on the Oscillators. I would like to have a tank Mk2 but funds hold me down at present. I'm very happy with this Mk2, After 7 runs it is starting to be able to run slow and is a dilight. Thanks for all your input.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 am

I'm sure you say the Diamond Jubilee Saddle Tank loco that was on ebay.

He tried to sell it on the Unofficial Mamod Forums without success, and on ebay he wanted £10 deposit paid via PayPal then cash on collection, or a bank transfer or cheque for the rest.

With the recent PayPal scam in mind I checked to find that the above split payment method takes you outside of the eBay Buyer Protection scheme and at a start of £269.99 I was not prepared to take the risk.

It has been re-listed but with the track as well so likely there will be no takers either.

Chris Cairns.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Quick video of the detailed Mk2

Post by steamie1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derfSki7CjE

This is about all I can do to her. Fitted a chuff pipe which is 50/50 weather to bother. The steam wafts around rather than belts out the top of the funnel. It is quite quiet too. Video shows 22 axles. I'm still so pleased with her that if a loco has to be sold it will not be this one.
Last edited by steamie1 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 pm

That's quite a nice-looking little locomotive. It's very quiet, too. Seems to be well made.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Mamod Mk2 outside

Post by steamie1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Tis outside Video shows slightly slower running

Post by steamie1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm

At the end the gas went, after 10 mins it was cold and windy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwX6ioJ ... e=youtu.be