(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Looking really good - especially like the fittings which enhance the overall appearance.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:19 pm

What couplings do you use Andrew?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Anyway, the bloomin' things take so long to make (and take up so much space!) that I've abandoned that idea for now in favour of a single all green train. Apart from anything else, my Russell's still in un-chopped form, so I can just about claim that my line represents the brief period in 1924 before Russell was cut-down but after the carriages had been - which I believe is when they were painted green. The buffet car throws a spanner in the works, 'cos that didn't appear until '27... Don't tell anyone
Stuff the rivet counters!
It's your railway.
I am also surprised that there was enough sunlight in Snowdonia to bleach the lurid colours on the coaches, or did the rain wash it all off? :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:22 am

TTHLRMatt:108798 wrote:What couplings do you use Andrew?
Those ones are Brandbright's RSA41 fake choppers - I use those where the real thing had round choppers and RSA40s when the originals were square. £5 each, not bad...

Actually, the coupling height came out a bit higher than I'd anticipated, but I'm hoping I'll get away with it... I need to make myself a gizmo to get it more consistent...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:27 am

Big Jim:108801 wrote:Stuff the rivet counters!
The problem is I've discovered I actually like counting rivets!!! Help!

Luckily for me, when I've worn myself out with all that counting I'm equally happy relaxing with a freelance battery engine and a pair of Faller carriages filled with Playmobile figures...

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:02 pm

In that case Andrew, buy as many sets as you can now. Brandbright are winding down after the AGM!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:07 pm

I've just seen, and I'm alarmed! I use BB for grab rails, door handles, wheels, axleguards... Help!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:19 am

Sad news for all of us 😞
I have resorted to panic buying castings...
Looks like we'll all have to start making our own handles and wheels Andrew!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Andrew,
What do you use for your vac pipes?I have some Festiniog carriages that could do with them...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello!

I thought I'd written about my cheapo brake pipes somewhere in this thread, and I've just found it...
Andrew:82366 wrote:the vacuum pipes and standards use my usual method of Wilkinsons garden wire for the pipe and a length of curtain wire (the springy stuff for net curtains) for the hose.  Mine don't connect and the garden wire runs right through the sprung bit, but I pinched the idea from working (well, not in the DVLR sense) ones featured in SMT about 20 years ago.

I generally add a little ring of biro inner near the top of the standard to give the impression of a bit more detail and add just a little chunkiness. The garden wire is slightly underscale I think, should be a little thicker, but it bends to shape beautifully enabling me to recreate prototypical pipe-runs. It's difficult to make it completely straight, but to me that's a good thing as real pipework often seems to feature little kinks here and there. There seem to be varying thicknessess of curtain wire available, not all will fit over the garden wire... Where necessary I fix the whole thing to the carriage body with little split pins (mine came from Screwfix) - you can see one near the bottom of the bufferbeam doing a reasonable job of looking like it's supposed to be there.  The best bit about all of this is the cost - with this method you could do an entire carriage fleet for roughly the cost of a single pair of ready made pipes.
It's still the method I use, although I really ought to make a jig to make sure they all come out roughly the same size!

The other issue that crops up is that they seem to be a bit prone to having the paint chipped off, I guess because standard primer doesn't do a proper job on the galvanised wire. Next time I make some I'll spray 'em with etch primer instead. And if that doesn't work I'll maybe look for another brand of wire...

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS more (WH)WHR rollling stock updates shortly-ish - I'm currently finishing off my Momentum Vehicle, then it's back to the Summer Car...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Hello again,

A couple of new items of rolling stock have entered service today, although neither has anything to do with the Welsh Highland - both are lettered for my old West Kent Light Railway, which (it seems) continues to exist to justify any urges I get to engage in freelance modelling...

The first is a Swift Sixteen tanker, in grotty green livery:

This was to have been a paraffin-dribbling track cleaner, but my dribbling mechanism wasn't up to much so in the end it just went together in the regular way.

The other new wagon isn't really new at all - it first entered service a few years ago in the livery of Datson's brewery, but the computer transfer paper I used didn't like the undulating body so I stripped that off and gave it a coat of dull old grey. It still carries Datson's fine Kentish ale though...

With those and the momentum vehicle out of the way, and summer approaching, I really must get on with my WHR semi-open carriage now...

Cheers,

Andrew.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Mon May 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Brilliant weathering on yon tank wagon!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon May 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Andrew,

Very nice indeed, both of them, but that tank wagon is a real gem.

Keep up the good work,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am

Morning all,

Building my little Momentum Vehicle got me enthused about grotty little trucks, so I've been working on a rake of three NWNGR/WHR 2 ton open wagons, based on a photo of one sitting at Dinas. There are no drawings (that I know of) of this type, so it's all guesswork.

Here's where I'm up to so far:

The wooden bodies are in the background, with the "ironwork" cut from plastic section) in the foreground. The multi-coloured rivets are nail-jewels, my favourite 16mm discovery for ages - the plus-side of tidying up after teenage daughters!

I got 3000 of 'em (jewels, not daughters) in a fantastic little multi-compartment container for £1.20 - including postage! See http://www.amazon.co.uk/3000-Nail-Mixed ... l+art+gems

There's no fiddly cutting them off sprues, they adhere to plastic with Liquid Poly, seem to take paint well - and they're considerably cheaper than chips... Brilliant!

Enough lavishing praise on sparkly beauty products, back to the (rough, rugged and manly) wagons. The next step is to give the bodies a coat of paint, then to prepare the Binnie running gear and give that and the ironwork some paint too. They should go together relatively quickly I think...  

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Now those nail jewels are a good idea! :D Will be stealing that one of you don't mind
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:37 am

That IS clever... I will steal that idea too... might dress up my momentum van, which right now doesn't look very realistic. It needs some details. [/quote]

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 am

Hello again,

I got round to finishing my little WHR 2 ton wagons yesterday, took 'em out into the garden for a few photos this morning:

As far as I know there's only one decent photo of this type of wagon - the braked one with the tare number but no running number is based on that one. The one with all the unpainted planks was inspired by a photo of Russell with a goods train standing at Dinas - lots of the wagons have replacement planks which have remained unpainted.

I should've spent a little more time on creating drawings before I got stuck in because I've not got the wagon proportions quite right, but they'll do - I'm looking forward to adding them to my slate train for a run, maybe at the weekend.

I've also been working away on my Summer Car which now has its green paint, lettering and door furniture. The latter is a little blingie really, I think the grab rails are black on the real thing, but they brighten up the plain livery. I need to turn my attention to the inside now...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Lovely Andrew, really lovely. Those wagons are absolutely full of character, I love 'em.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 pm

The 'riveting jewels' is a great find Andrew! Are they rivet shaped though?

Loving your recent photos, great work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 am

tom_tom_go:112339 wrote:The 'riveting jewels' is a great find Andrew!  Are they rivet shaped though?
Hello! Yes, they seem to be - although they're "jewels" they don't seem to be faceted. They're perhaps just a little more domed than real rivets - I shall have a close look at some on the bridges I cross on my way to work this morning!

Cheers,

Andrew.