Mamod Loco Kit

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Chris, I know about call centres in India they are awful, I'm with tiscali, free calls, reasonable speed, no cap free line rental seems good deal! have left message re steam reverser valve you had written, fortuneatelly mine looks O.K.
Do you ever sell Mss or Mamod Locos - if so let me know, I've got to get rid of lot of stationery models, and mobiles but these Locos are so individual and seem to have characters of there own I rather fancy the Saddle tank, please keep in touch
Kind Regards
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!
'WILL IT GO ROUND THAT CURVE?'

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:15 pm

I've answered your question about the MSS Saddle Tank loco in the other posting Fred. Hopefully Sam (South-Trethevy) can tell you more about his Saddle Tank.

I may sell a 2nd SL1K in the future (here's Andy's photo of my 1st SL1K which went to the 3rd bidder after the other 2 sales fell through - http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/a ... 1_1102.jpg This is Ian's portable Mamod layout with the SL1K just coming in from the left) but I need to get it running properly first. Unfortunately too many things to do at present & living in 2 homes does not help!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks Chris - let me know as and when, read article on Saddle Tank realised how much got to learn :lol:
yours
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Being intrigued by Fred's posting it looks very early, green loco with red badges I wondered if this was the Green SL1K that I've previously read about as being suggested that a limited number were made by Mamod. However David Evans (via Mamodevon) confirms that only black SL1Ks were made by Mamod. Fred has asked me to post his photos here.

And as you will see here Fred has a black SL1K kit.

It is interesting to note that the wheels were supplied unfinished and I wonder how Mamod expected boys to assemble these wheels onto the axles without the proper punch & jig. Fred's kit is missing those axles. The boxed SL1Ks that I have seen (including the one in my collection) have had the 2 wheel sets made up and a little sticker added where Fred's wheels are to telling you that that box insert is not in use.

Fred is having some difficulty locating a set of Mamod red wheels and asks if anyone has any available to get in touch with him. The set that Chasteam sent him are loose on the driving axle, and it is only the MSS black wheels that are available from Dream Steam (Mamodevon).

Chris Cairns.

(edited to correct image links)
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks - I am glad this is not video! it was bought as green and I've had senior moments - been thinking it was green :oops: again, DON'T have a stroke it screws your mind up, :( and your eyesight but at the moment am more or less with us, had a look in bright light and it is black :oops: but still interested in red wheel set if any sets out there
Thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 pm

As part of my aircrew medicals I occasionally get tested for colour blindness. On one page of the test book when the Doctor asked me to read the number I did and he said you should not be able to read that normally. Turned out he was colour blind! So we can all see different colours sometimes.

I hope that you are successful with getting a set of red wheels as that loco will look great when built.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 pm

CCairns wrote: Turned out he was colour blind! So we can all see different colours sometimes.
Thanks Chris, I needed that bit of encouragement ;) am having tests at the moment for some weird fault in the blood artery in the temple which is affecting my sight
Keep Well
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 pm

You could always remove the black paint and slap in some red enamel.

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm

Chris it had crossed my mind but I'll hang on and see if any red come up

Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 pm

steamyjim wrote:Yup MSS still make the kits ;)  My one was a kit...i realy enjoyed building it :D

I haven't had any experiance with the steam take off coming from under the boiler as on my Mamod and MSS locos i have put a regulator in taking steam from the top of the boiler ;)
Dear Jim, on re reading your post I was struck by your comments can you please help me what is the steam regulator you put on your kit to take the steam from top does this mean I don't need to build kit as is any help would be appreciated
thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:28 pm

fred wrote:
steamyjim wrote:Yup MSS still make the kits ;)  My one was a kit...i realy enjoyed building it :D

I haven't had any experiance with the steam take off coming from under the boiler as on my Mamod and MSS locos i have put a regulator in taking steam from the top of the boiler ;)
Dear Jim, on re reading your post I was struck by your comments can you please help me what is the steam regulator you put on your kit to take the steam from top does this mean I don't need to build kit as is any help would be appreciated
thanks
Fred
I shall get you a link to a regulator from dreamsteam. The only slight mod the the engine would be to cut/drill a small hole in the front of the cab ;)

Once i get the link with a picture it is easier to explain ;)

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 pm

This may be of use...you can see the regulator in the cab ;)

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Fred
here is the instructions for fitting the regulator that should explain what it is http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about195.html

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Here you can see the T that the regulator takes it steam from. The usual feed pipe for the engine (in the dome) needs to be blocked off ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:41 pm

www.dream-steam.com/upgrade_parts.html
The part is available on there.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 pm

Oh yeah, forgot the link :roll: Thanks Will :lol:

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks All, that is great I could build the kit without the pipe to the top of boiler and put the bolt on under the steam dome and just put the regulator in,by the bye I take it I still control speed and direction from reverser,
Thanks for help appreciate it
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 pm

you controle the speed from the new steam valve and then the the original valve is just used for forward and reverse

fred
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by fred » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Dear All, on reading the link to the fitting instructions (thanks) it looks reasonably easy to do as kit not built, will Mamod safety valve be sufficient? or will pressure be too great?
Thanks
Fred
www.freewebs.com/fred7

Steam Wheelchair user!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 pm

the standard safety valve will be ok fred I have found that increasing the steam pressure has caused the mamod/mss sightglas to melt an pop out so keep to the standard SV.

ore if you realy want to go all out you can replace the complete boiler with one from dream steam
http://www.dream-steam.com/upgrade_parts.html