Low Loaders

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Low Loaders

Post by Steven.T » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 am

Hi all,
I've recently bought a Mini Cooper kit car which i have built, however I am going to build a low loader to carry it on.
I have bought bogies from swift sixteen but have a few questions about low loaders themselves, if anyone can help!

Basically, I was wondering how a car would be loaded? Looking at the I.P. Engineering example ( http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/page103.html ), Is the car driven on, or lifted on?

I'm just curious as I wan't to make the deck big enough for however its loaded, if that makes sense!
Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 am

Ah great cheers Keith, I just wanted to check before I started to build it!

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:50 pm

It depends, sometimes on the railway, if there was a platform at each end, where the car could be driven on or off, or a 'tramway' like section of track where the car could be driven, up ramps over the headstocks and down into the well between the bogies. (these usually had wooden chocks that allow a vehicle to drive down them.

alternatively, on the talyllyn we have a wagon that bob built which has swinging buffers and lashing points with ramps. Its bright yellow and you cant miss it...

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Personally, I would stick a Mini Cooper on a flat wagon as they are not very tall and are not going to foul the loading gauge.

OTOH a tractor fitted with a hedge-hacker has to go on a well wagon so it clears the loading gauge. This is precisely how the IMR does its hedge trimming. I was rather pleased to see that rather than hide it around the back of the carriage shed it was displayed for the delectation of fans of Heath Robinson-ish brew-ups in Road Zero in Douglas station. :D

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm

IrishPeter:75386 wrote:
OTOH a tractor fitted with a hedge-hacker has to go on a well wagon so it clears the loading gauge.  
Peter in AZ
The maddest way I've seen to transport something like this was on the SOEG (Zittau system) in Saxony (former East Germany). They had a flail/trimmer fitted JCB road-railer for use on their line, but it was a standard gauge road-railer so they simply rolled it onto one of their bogie rollwagen (transporter wagons)- job done. I've got a pic somewhere, I think....

As for full size cars transported by narrow gauge, that's now the biggest revenue freight traffic on the CFC (Chemins de Fer de Corse), the metre-gauge Corsican Railways. A popular holiday destination with a thriving car-rental business, the hire firms find the train the best way to bring a car "back to base" if a hire begins in one town and ends in another.

(Had a quick look on ewetoob but couldn't find any footage of freight. Did spot these nice trailers for commercial DVDs though.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4WQUkf ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5Aj0Tw ... creen&NR=1
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)