Building Emily.

What is your latest project?
Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Building Emily.

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:03 am

Because there's been some interest in my Locolines 'Mammoth' based loco 'Emily' I thought I'd post the series of photos I took during the time Emily was being built. Bill and his friends were my main helpers on this build and if you have any questions about any of the photos I'll check will Bill and find out what exactly he did so I can give you an answer.

Emily is built on a Scientific Trains battery loco motorblock. A fair bit of cutting and trimming was necessary before it could be used.

What has Reality done for you lately?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 am

Construction continues. 2mm plywood was used for extra bracing and support and cardboard edges were sealed and strengthened with cheap Chinese superglue. The dome is the top from a deodorant bottle.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 am

The smokebox door is a steel frost plug and the cylinders and connecting rod came from a Harland 'G' scale loco I broke up for parts.

Emily's cab back and bunker are removeable.

Emily's chimney is based on photos I have of spark arresting chimneys used on NZ bush tramway locos.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:36 am

The pieces to customise Emily's cab were made by scanning kit parts and then editing them with graphics software. The new pieces were printed out on photographic paper and mounted on 2mm plywood.
This was done so I could have the lining to work around when it came time to paint Emily properly.

The bunker was made from thin black art cardboard mounted on 2mm ply. This is intended to be a later modification to the loco undertaken by the tramway workshops which is why it's been left plain black and unlined.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 am

The uneven mountings on the shunter's platform have been copied from a Barclay saddle tank that worked on bush tramways here in NZ.

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 am

The electrical wiring is still a work in progress. I'm planning on wiring in a control unit from a radio controlled car very soon.

Whistle by Ozarks Miniatures.

Bunker supports.

Emily starts to get her new paintwork. I used matt acrylic paint because I wanted Emily to look suitably aged and grubby as a working bush tramway engine would be.

Emily still has some paintwork and final details that need doing before I can say she is properly finished, but hopefully I'll be able to do that soon and she can be properly passed as being a really useful engine
:D

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:23 am

I am impressed with your imagination and modelling ideas well done for your work on emily you are inspiring me to get on with the thomas thats still waiting to be converted.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:56 am

Very well done. I like that a lot.

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Glad to see the little dog helping again Annie - great work as usual!