Garden Railway Forum Headboards!

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here

Which design would you prefer for a Garden Railway Forum Headboard?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Design 1 - Gardenrails.myfreeforums.org.uk
17%
Design 2 - Garden Railway Forum
72%
We need a Domain name, Gardenrails.myfreeforums.org.uk is too long
11%
Other - Please Specify
No votes

Total votes: 18

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

steamyjim wrote:Looks good! I like the black one :D  I think to finish off the different colour choices you need a blue one and a white one ;)

You said this earlier though  :?  
I can make custom designs, if I can utilise the existing design and fit the new wording onto the plate I can do the plate for £15.
Surely that plate is on the existing design?

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm

that plate was originally for my custom Roseberry Topping headboard.

and am I right in thinking the plate shape is now 1 of the standards?
A steam propelled life-style.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 pm

steamyjim wrote:
steamyjim wrote:Looks good! I like the black one :D  I think to finish off the different colour choices you need a blue one and a white one ;)

I can make custom designs, if I can utilise the existing design and fit the new wording onto the plate I can do the plate for £15.
That should have read:

If I can use one of the existing designs and fit the wording around it, the price will be £20.

I have to charge a little more for a custom design as otherwise nobody will buy the standard Forum Headboards as they'll want their own railway name etc written on it for the same price.

It's much easier to make the standard design as I can produce those in a batch, a personalized one I need to fit onto the piece of brass and engrave it as a one off, or combine with other nameplates and machine them together.

I charge £25 if you want a new shape too, as that's a lot of work, setting out the design and layout, and also possibly adding extra holes to the mounting bracket too.

Hope that clears it up, and sorry for any confusion!

Alan

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

alan2525 wrote:
steamyjim wrote:

That should have read:

If I can use one of the existing designs and fit the wording around it, the price will be £20.

I have to charge a little more for a custom design as otherwise nobody will buy the standard Forum Headboards as they'll want their own railway name etc written on it for the same price.

It's much easier to make the standard design as I can produce those in a batch, a personalized one I need to fit onto the piece of brass and engrave it as a one off, or combine with other nameplates and machine them together.

I charge £25 if you want a new shape too, as that's a lot of work, setting out the design and layout, and also possibly adding extra holes to the mounting bracket too.

Hope that clears it up, and sorry for any confusion!

Alan
Ah OK! I may make my own mounting bracket to go around the chimney...as with a large rolling stock fleet and brackets at £7.50...it mounts up :shock:

Have you got an example of a black one that has been made already?

Any thoughs as to putting white and blue into the colour range as i think they will be quite popular?

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 pm

steamyjim wrote:Ah OK! I may make my own mounting bracket to go around the chimney...as with a large rolling stock fleet and brackets at £7.50...it mounts up :shock:

Any thoughts as to putting white and blue into the colour range as i think they will be quite popular?
I think I could add blue and white to the colour range. I don't have any black headboards made up, only nameplates, it might look a little funereal on the front of the loco with the black though.

Alan

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 pm

alan2525 wrote:
steamyjim wrote:Ah OK! I may make my own mounting bracket to go around the chimney...as with a large rolling stock fleet and brackets at £7.50...it mounts up :shock:

Any thoughts as to putting white and blue into the colour range as i think they will be quite popular?
I think I could add blue and white to the colour range. I don't have any black headboards made up, only nameplates, it might look a little funereal on the front of the loco with the black though.

Alan
True...if you do do a black one could you post a pic up?

I think the white would go on almost any loco! And blue would just look good :lol: Got to be royal blue in my opinion though :lol:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Getting a little off topic above so could you confirm the following Alan.

If the Forum has decided to go with the Garden Railway Forum head board then that would cost £15? As I did not vote for this option if I was to ask for the gardenrails.myfreeforums.org head board instead would this cost £20, or would you sell your sample one for £15?

And if William gets a .tk URL registered for this Forum are all votes off and can we then change our votes to the URL head board instead (note no mention of actually getting a URL was made before this vote was posted, although William did state he would register one if it was wanted, and 2 members had said yes then)? Which would then of course cost £15?

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:57 pm

CCairns wrote:Getting a little off topic above so could you confirm the following Alan.

If the Forum has decided to go with the Garden Railway Forum head board then that would cost £15? As I did not vote for this option if I was to ask for the gardenrails.myfreeforums.org head board instead would this cost £20, or would you sell your sample one for £15?

And if William gets a .tk URL registered for this Forum are all votes off and can we then change our votes to the URL head board instead (note no mention of actually getting a URL was made before this vote was posted, although William did state he would register one if it was wanted, and 2 members had said yes then)? Which would then of course cost £15?
When I make the Headboards for this forum, They will all be £15. I can do a choice of either "Garden Railway Forum", "Gardenrails.myfreeforum.org" or the domain name if and when that's available. I can supply those straight away if you would like to place an order, and they are a straight, if somewhat fiddly swap using the tiny BA screws with the other headboards I produce!

If anyone would like to place an order, can I ask that they either email me at: alan2525 (at) yahoo (dot) com, or contact me via a PM as otherwise this thread will get very confusing for me!

Hope that's as clear as mud!

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 pm

grumpfuttock wrote:Alan, I would definitely like a Garden Railway Forums Special headboard.
Would it be possible for you to make 1 special design plate like the ones you do now but with the text MDK 45 DAMP TUR ??? If so what would the charge, and would you be willing to post them to Denmark ?
Here's a possible layout for the MDK 45 DAMP TUR design:

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 am

Its now possible to make a headboard for the forum!: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about638.html

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:37 am

Could we have Garden Railway Forum with the address underneath it, most headboards for societys and the like just have a similar affair.

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:57 pm

The MDK Damp Tur looks very nice Alan. Well they all look very nice ! I will reply via PM. Sorry it has taken a few days of thought.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm

I was having a bit of a think (dangerous stuff), and my idea is that as the forum logo is so nice (IMHO) use that as the headboard, but instead of having the moto across the bottom have the www.gardenrails.tk there, then above the 2007 have an Est. as Bungle recomended?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I agree there :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Problem with that William is that we would probably need another head board bracket I think.

Alan's idea was to keep to one head board bracket with 2 sets of mounting holes keeping the costs down for using different head boards, by using the same bracket.

There are a few of us that already have the Mark One bracket in use.

But I'll wait to see what Alan comes up with as he has only had one order for a Forum head board so far.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm

CCairns wrote:Glad I'm not the only one that is confused. Hopefully William can enlighten us when his internet allows him.
Sorry, I missed this post when looking through after the net returned, I actually got his idea from the 'Whitby Enterprise' steam trips run by the NYMR, you can just about read it in this (cropped version of a photo I took:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Not a subject I know a lot about, but from the little information available on the internet, Whitby did not have named trains in BR days.

Only 'Enterprise' train I could find is Galloway Enterprise/Tyne Enterprise (Stranraer - Newcastle) which was listed in the BR 1990/1991 timetable.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 pm

I presume you could size it to fit on the current bracket, but presumably that would ,
A. Cost more
B. Be more work for Alan

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 pm

when I have the money, I fancy a 'Cornish Riviera' headboard...

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 pm

There's another Garden Railway forum headboard design...

It's got...

GARDEN RAILWAY FORUM

it's got...

The new domain name...

WWW.GARDENRAILS.TK

It's got...

THE YEAR THE FORUM WAS ESTABLISHED...

It looks like this!

Last edited by alan2525 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.