Sometimes, I wonder if I take this hobby seriously enough!

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Sometimes, I wonder if I take this hobby seriously enough!

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, this is my first "adult" venture into garden railways. (I had previous tried as a child but it came to limited success.

I say adult... I mean "look what I bought!"

Anyway, Teddy Bears and trying to appease the missus I though tis would be a good way to initially get into garden railways. It's cheap enough (though a friend who is a former railway enthusiast thinks otherwise...pfft!) and simple enough to work.

Click to see full size image

I am still looking towards some more serious 16mm stuff (as to the gauge... well I've bought 45mm but 32mm is still my fav) but witohut a railway to run it at the moment (and a possible flat move) I'm going to have to have a deep think, though I ahve been saving up for 8 months to get into a financial positions to afford some stuff. Anyway, enough of my ramblings, please enjoy.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm

It's a start, and you'd be surprised how much something like this can be "improved" - even a coat of paint will change it out of all recognition!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Sometimes Iwonder

Post by Catweasel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Most of us start with the "bear" minimum. :roll:
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Running on the grass can be great fun, in a temporary sort of way. This is four years ago, at our previous house...

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2UxJDK-RBCY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2UxJDK-RBCY?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 am

it's your railway you can take it as seriously as you like 8)

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:21 am

I thought the attraction of this hobby is that it isn't taken too seriously so i'd say you are doing exactly the right thing...

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm

I particularly love the wagon, i wont mind a rake of 10 of those.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Phew!!! cheers guys. They are nice wagons I must admit, I like the look of the BP train as well something I would like to do is incorporate some of the Aristo stuff into 16mm which is ballywell easy if you ask me.

On a slight tangent I do alot of smaller scale modelling espcially 00 and N and I find that although it is full of eccentrics who don't take the hobby entirely seriously there is a massive number who do to a really anal point which is a shame.

Out of curiosity, I'm led to believe that Peco, Aristocraft and Accurcraft (AMS) have all the same codes of rail for their track, can I ask are they all compatible, just because my local shop has offer to order some of the peco G45 setrack but the way this is wired up makes it a little complicated to wire directly to peco track.

Also I've got my eye on an Accucraft Mortimer, providing costs and things go all to plan so please watch this space.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 am

An awful lot of rather toy looking stuff can be transformed by a paint job, and a few well chosen accessories. For example, with a little work on the smoke box door and the cab followed by a coat of black paint and lettering indicating that it belongs to the "Three Bears Lumber Co." your "toy" loco would look like a little Baldwin or ALCO Saddle Tank. The open wagon looks like something the local lumber railroads would have used, as does the bobber (4-wh) caboose.

Rail weights can be a bit tricky. I think PECO uses Code 215, rather than the Code 332 used by Aristocraft, AMS, LGB, et omnes. I am rather fond of SVRR track which is code 250, but he sells rail clamps to join it to elephan (code 332) rail. I am sure someone will be able to supply same or similar item in your neck of the woods.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Johnnie2sheds
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Johnnie2sheds » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Love the teddy driver!

look for "Rule 8"

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:26 pm

My girlfriend wanted the guards... but I blatantly refused that suggestion :P