First Get a Big Big Ruston.

What is your latest project?
Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

First Get a Big Big Ruston.

Post by Catweasel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

This is an attempt to convert the Big Big Ruston into a completely different beast. I started by removing the top half of the cab. Straight forward job. But what to do with the bonnet? The hinges are way too small,the front has a headlight on it, the top has various bumps and bits. At the end of it all,it will still look like a Big Big Ruston. Something drastic had to be done! First of all,I sanded down all the hinges and the bonnet bumps. This left holes in the bonnet top. Some plastic card was glued underneath them, then filler applied.When this had set, the top was sanded smooth. Much better. Then the front was looked at. This is important to get right,as it's the “face” of the loco. I decided that the best way forward was cut off the whole front. This was duly done,then a new front panel was cut from 60 thou plastic card. A hole was cut into that to allow for a mesh grille to be fitted. I used a piece cut from a frying pan anti-splash thingy. On the left hand side of the bonnet I made an exhaust to fit into the slot vacated by the Ruston switch. That covered that up. On the other side, plastic card was again glued behind the slot and filler applied and sanded smooth. Job done. To protect the little people from the elements, some plastic rod was fitted in each corner of the cab and a roof was formed and fitted. Coffee stirrers were glued to the floor and stained dark oak. A tractor style seat from Cambrian gives the driver a small measure of comfort during his shift at the controls, which are a forward,reverse and centre off with a Cambrian speed controller. The loco is called Bodge,which I think sums it up. I'll post photo's when I'm done with it.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:39 pm

that's technical my version is to add some paint and a number and run. speed control is down to how much power is in the batteries.

Catweasel
Fireman
Fireman

Big Big Ruston

Post by Catweasel » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Yep. That'll work as well. Damned sight easier as well!
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way.