The Borrow Nock Railway 0 16.5 narrow gauge

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DamianLMS
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Borrow Nock Railway 0 16.5 narrow gauge

Post by DamianLMS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 am

Hello folks, heres my thread from the start.

And so it starts.........

We recently had a holiday in borth were my lovely missus let me and my kids(four boys under 6) travel on the vale of rheidol and talyllyn railways. I was blown away by the specacular little but powerful locos and wondered if anybody had modelled any of them. So after finding this site and a few others ive decided to go the full hog and plan my next layout.

The plan, well after much considerable thought ive decided that whatever i model must be oo gauge or bigger as my eyes and big fingers can prove very restrictive. So for this ive decided to go 0-16.5 using peco flexi track.

So far so good, ive built my track bed consisting of boards and l-brackets. Over 90% of the track has been laid and im now looking into loco kits and scenary.

Heres some pics of the fun and games so far.

Base board for the shed halt fixed into place in my shed
12 month old shed now with hole and board sticking out, missus wasnt impressed  :lol:
Looking down the boarding to where the layout will eventually enter the house via yet another hole
Board painted/varnished
track laid
1st train enters the shed

Hope you all like it, many more pics to come as the layout progresses

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 am

Looks like a good start! :D

I dunno if you're aware of this company;
http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1201118902437.html
But they have a range of loco bodies and rolling stock kits that are designed to fit straight onto Hornby chassis ;)

DamianLMS
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DamianLMS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 am

Narrow Minded:72940 wrote:Looks like a good start! :D

I dunno if you're aware of this company;
http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page_1201118902437.html
But they have a range of loco bodies and rolling stock kits that are designed to fit straight onto Hornby chassis ;)
Indeed this is where im ordering my loco kits from :)

methsman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by methsman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Has anyone any experience of this scale in the garden or any links to other web sites that cover this .Its something that Ive been toying with for sometime.
Always look on the bright side of life.

DamianLMS
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DamianLMS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Methsman i did a few enquiries before i started on other forums before i found this great one. Heres a few of the threads i started pre-building etc........

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ce-please/

http://ngrm-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6555

Hope this helps :D

DamianLMS
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DamianLMS » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 am

Heres some more progress from borrow nock, after ordering the thor kit from smallbrook studios along with a 3rd class glyn valley coach building was under way and now im waiting for all the glue to dry.....

And comparing the size difference with a smokey joe which will also be canabilised for better use lol.....

Im really impressed with the results from the kits and would highly recomend smallbrooks kits. They didnt take half aslong as it took to sort the motors on the smokey joes.

Next step final finishing and paint

DamianLMS
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DamianLMS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Been a busy weekend but managed to squeeze a few hours into the garden layout starting with the tunnel entrance into the shed. Made out of clay and turned into slate effect using a butter knife i painted it firstly by giving it a coat of halfords car paint followed by two types of grey humbrol enamel......

Ive also started building the slate mine on the coal bunker. I built a frame using an old wooden bedframe and aquired some slate courtesy of a neighbour who didnt like the large pile of it sat by his front door from a previous tennent.

The thor shel that id built was ready for paint and over the saturday and sunday evenings it was given a coat of plastic primer followed by ford radiant red then details and gold and matt black paint were added. 1st time id done this type of modeling in years! Im happy with the results, i still need a tiny 0.75 drill for the brass pipes for the top of the tank but it'll wait for now

Heres a pic of the loco which will be named 'ALFIE' after my boy and its new part owner lol alongside the slate quarry with a glyn valley clestory coach also aquired from smallbrook studios

Ive just ordered two more loco kits from smallbrook which im hoping to obtain by thursday, ive just brought some green ronseal fence paint for the fence and shed doors and were currently constructing slate fencing like at talyllyn and slate walls so theres plenty to do

Droopy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Droopy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello there,
I'm new on this forum and I found this topic.
Great idea for a layout. I really like these locos.
Could you post a lot of new pictures?
Hello happy taxpayers !

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm

wow this is very good well done your railway is looking very good