Accucraft Baldwin 'LYN' in funeral colours

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Accucraft Baldwin 'LYN' in funeral colours

Post by benchmark » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:55 pm

I feel like a child at Christmas. My Accucraft LYN arrived today, brand new in box with 2.4 Ghz radio control for the steam levers
This is my first Accucraft . I ordered it a few days ago when i could not find an Accucraft Leader for sale and i am happy i bought this one, she is a work of art.
I am excited to see how she will cope with the gruelling steep inclines and bends on my 'Bumpington' garden layout.

I am free from work tomorrow, no guessing what i would be doing :-)
Pictures

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Mr Whenmouth strikes again :lol:

Nice :D

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Sir haydn:71530 wrote:Mr Whenmouth strikes again  :lol:

Nice  :D
How did you guess? :D my second engine from him now and this time we got to chat for a while on the phone, pleasant guy really .
I have him looking out for 2 more engines i will like to own if they come up. Top service.

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Keith&Joanna:71532 wrote:Can anyone who knows a little about these locos explain why the big enclosed cab, very elaborate for what is presumably a lightweight hauler?
Wasn't Lyn run on 5 carrs on the L&B once?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm

If it was dry I think I read somewhere that Lyn was actually one coach better then the Manning Wardles with a higher power output, although being a 2-4-2T rather then a 2-6-2T this didn't hold true when wet
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

It may have something to do with that Lyn was a locomotive made by the American Baldwin company

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Keith&Joanna:71532 wrote:Can anyone who knows a little about these locos explain why the big enclosed cab, very elaborate for what is presumably a lightweight hauler?
I think it will be a basic standard Baldwin thing Keith, she was bought as an off the shelf kit, L&B had enquired about another MW or a Hunslet but neither company could provide one in the time limit set out by L&B, not bad when you consider Baldwin had to include P&P on a boat and the building once it got here. I'm sure I've read she was rough ridding and had alot of firebox problems though.

Hancockshire
Driver
Driver

Post by Hancockshire » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Yep, I'm right. I have many faults but being wrong is an intermittent one

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 am

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think the cab on this particular engine (the full sized version of course) was made to accommodate one or more people during the operation of the locomotive. The roof was probably included in order to protect the occupant/operator from moisture in the form of rain or snow, although it would be effective also in repelling sleet and/or freezing rain and possibly bird droppings, especially in coastal areas.

This is just a guess, of course, since very few records exist from this time.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm

It's not as big inside as it might appear, as the firebox is mostly inside the cab, with the backhead located about halfway into the cab. Given the climate in much of the Northern US and Canada, American locos. were fitted with full cabs from very early on.

I've ridden in the cab of one of Lyn's much bigger sisters (the VR NA class) and while you can fit three adults on the footplate, with the backhead projecting so far into the cab an NA has to be fired with a short handled shovel.

Graeme

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Droooooooooooooooooooooollllll

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Hancockshire:71535 wrote:It may have something to do with that Lyn was a locomotive made by the American Baldwin company
Oi, nothing wrong with things made in Pennsylvania!

:p
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd