Neighbors

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
pauly
Driver
Driver

Neighbors

Post by pauly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:25 pm

This is a question I tend to ask on most forums as their are usually some pretty amazing and shocking stories regarding railways and the neighbors at the boarder.

Has anyone here had any trouble regarding their neighbors and their railway?
A steam propelled life-style.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Yes, the swedish kids next door poked and removed some of my ballast :( , they also ask lots of questions when I'm trying to work on it.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:39 pm

I bet you get all sorts Im quite lucky as my neighbors kid is a rapper and has set up a rap studio in the shed (even though he doesnt live there) and we have had it all junk comming over the fence parties all night and his little friends telling my mother to ...well Im not going to repeat it on here but they dont seem to have noticd the railway at all :?

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:41 pm

well, on one side, the people never ever go in their garden
on the other side the guy seems to be interesting in it abit.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:43 pm

Don't get annoyed by your loud chuff pipe and whistle then? :lol: ptlrcecil's got a great neighbour. www.gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftopic465-0.php

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 pm

i think his wife has had enough of me :lol:

When ever i am running, sometimes a guy from the next garden along tries to see whats going on.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Well actually, I have problems with my neighbour (well, to be more precise Roger Taylor's [drummer from queen!!!] gardener). There's a private road just by my railway, owned by Roger, but because the house is his 'Holiday Home', he has a full time live-in gardener there, and we asked him weather we could use the road to hi-ab a pallet of bricks in over the wall to the railway from the road.
He said yes, no problems.

Travis Perkins tootled up the road in his trusty truck, and started lifting the pallets over (this is 2 weeks after permission). 'Fatty', the gardener comes along the road on his sit on mower with the broken seat and nearly flat rear tyres, and starts yelling his head off at us and T.P. guy, saying we could F-off, and never bring a travis perkins truck along the road again. He even phoned T.P.'s to tell them one of their trucks was tresspassing!!! So T.P. had to back up, and we had to wheelbarrow the bricks down the garden!!!

Absolutely ridiculous! Never trust your neighbours!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:03 am

Lucky you dont have my temper Id have probably bricked him and his mower :roll: :lol:

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:17 am

The neighbours at the back of the PTLR were not quite as good as the new neighbours next door. The official border line is about 6 feet from their rear fence, and the bit in between is very overgrown with trees. PTLRsam put a shed up and they insisted he move it because it was 6 inches into their garden (despite being over 5 feet beyond their back fence!!! Some people!!!!!!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 am

I am quite lucky in some respects when it comes to neighbours.

The fence on one side is a standard fence, but no-one can look over it from standing by it.

We have a flint stone wall at the bottom of our garden, and again a taller fence with a very tall hedge in front of that :lol:

Although the neighbours themselves; one has two young boys who ask all the 'why' questions and the one next door has to know everything in the street :roll:

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Where quite lucky in that one side is let so we can tell em to do what they like! The other side has two young boys both mad on steam :D and the people accross the road love my big engines! its my mum i have problems with!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 pm

Hmm, my neighbours on the right are annoying in their parking habits but them or their kids don't take any notice in the railway, although a tall ivy hedge might help.
The house on the left has been empty and for sale for over a year, the number of times that i've been running a train or working in the garden when people have been shown round makes me wonder if my railway is putting them off. Either that or they can't get a morgage....
Our big problem are 2 pesky kids from up the road who somehow found out about the railway and keep on calling round wanting to see it run at the most inconvinient of times, and then telling their mates about the railway as well. They do also make the most silly observations and ask annoying questions :evil:
My house also backs onto a school playing field and we do occasionaly get people cutting through and hopping over the wall at the back, sometimes causing damage to the railway.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Neighbours are funny...my brother was once playing tennor saxophone in the garden, he's a member of a big band, plays a lot of swing stuff. Accomplished musician...anyhow was playing some mellow jazz, during the day in the summer and one of the neighbours faces emerged from the hedge and he asked if he could stop.

Later that week he was playing at my grans flat for her birthday and she got a phone call, it was one of the neighbours saying how great the music was and she put in a request!

No problems with the railway but neighbours can still be a pain in the butt!

Alan

grumpfuttock
Fireman
Fireman

Post by grumpfuttock » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I have a field as a neighbour on the left side, a field at the back, and 2 houses as neighbours to the right. The one neighbour climbs over his fence and comes over for a look when we hold the annual steam up, and I have caught him cutting down some of our trees on our side of the boundary fence on one occasion. That got me a bit mad, but all is ok now, and we get on fine.
John.

"I am not an armchair modeller, I have a garden railway, so I am a deckchair modeller."

http://www.tumblydowncottage.dk

ian
Cleaner
Cleaner

Lovely neighbours

Post by ian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Don't have a problem with none of mine. The one at the bottom of my garden (all 42 inch's wide)(L shaped garden) has had his very old Triang running on the GGR much to the amusement of his wife and kids who are all very old teenagers (nearly in their 20's).
New couple on one side have a young daughter who is fascinated when I run my old Triang Brittannia 'Steam train' and wants Daddy to get her one. All heck breaks out when I run the other two smokers I have as well.
The neighbour on the other side is just a nosey old cow who likes nothing better than making funny comments about boys and their toys

Ian
It my railway and I will run what I like
http://www.freewebs.com/grocklegardenrailway

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:06 pm

I didn't have much troble with Neighbours in cumbria, largley because i lived on a farm about 1/2 a mile from the nearest village! The people who stayed on my parents caravan site didn't give me much troble, in fact, I oftern got requests to run the trains for them :D .

The only case of serious troble I had was when people came looking round the farm when we had to move out. One couple who came brought their 2 young sons, who had no respect for anything. When they found my line, they grabbed my engine shed, plonked it down on the other side of the layout, and used it as a garage for their cars. I was at school so i couldn't do anything about it.

My mum was so appauled that she said that if they did make an offer for the farm, she'd refuse it.

Fortunatly, the farm went to a kind couple who mantained the caravan site and B&B, and turned what was the site of my railway into a nice little garden.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:20 pm

I don't have a railway in the garden either at home or at uni. If I was to build one at home there'd be no issue with the neighbours (although the grandkids are a pain...) but there's a playing field behind the house and once the kids found out about it I think it'd be bye bye railway; they are bad enough when I have a BBQ and a few beers with my mates.

At Plymouth I get on alright with my neighbours but they are an odd bunch, on the one side at least. Went out on the bike late one night and one guy was out there attempting to shoot bats with a crossbow :? . And my housemates met them in the takeaway round the corner the other night, all completely out of it, dunno what they were on but it pretty obviously wasn't legal...
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:36 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:At Plymouth I get on alright with my neighbours but they are an odd bunch, on the one side at least. Went out on the bike late one night and one guy was out there attempting to shoot bats with a crossbow :? .
:sign5: Sounds just right for Plymouth :lol:

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:15 pm

I've got an uncle who lives in Plymouth.

He likes to shoot me and my cousins with BB guns!
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Endless, Nameless wrote:I don't have a railway in the garden either at home or at uni. If I was to build one at home there'd be no issue with the neighbours (although the grandkids are a pain...) but there's a playing field behind the house and once the kids found out about it I think it'd be bye bye railway; they are bad enough when I have a BBQ and a few beers with my mates.

At Plymouth I get on alright with my neighbours but they are an odd bunch, on the one side at least. Went out on the bike late one night and one guy was out there attempting to shoot bats with a crossbow :? . And my housemates met them in the takeaway round the corner the other night, all completely out of it, dunno what they were on but it pretty obviously wasn't legal...
bats are protected and to harm or harrass 1 in any way is illegal and will result is a hefty fine or in serious cases jail time. :|