Mike's Wolf Creek Light Railway Pics

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
penrhynpwr
Cleaner
Cleaner

Mike's Wolf Creek Light Railway Pics

Post by penrhynpwr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:16 am

Here are some pics finaly of our new garden railway, currently running track power with a LGB Stainz and all Austrian wagons. Shifting to Live Steam power with a Roundhouse Billy this Monday. I finaly got the track ballested and my station built. I am planning to extend the track work around the pond with a bridge across the middle to reconnect in front of the water wheel. The whole area around the water wheel remains damp all the time, I plan to get moss growing and overtake the whole area with it, track an all. The idea is a rundown narrow gauge railway, hauling coal/slate/stone, between the wars somewhere in Europe. I wanted to go 32mm gauge track, and in time I may, but getting enough of it here in the states is both expensive and difficult for the good Peco track that will look the way I want. So for now the trains will polish the LGB rails. Its still quite harsh with no other buildings or other railway details, but that will change over time. The steam engine spent this years budget for the railway, and I got it about half what a new one costs, although it is new/unfired. I am working on bridge ideas for the pond, dont want just a wood plank. I have some metal that has all kinds of different bolt holes in it, kind of like the stuff you see in the Lowe's hardware dept. I might use that as a base then make up some sides to it, make it look like a girder bridge where the low sides stick up on each side. A center support pillar would be nice, but not sure how to deal with it just yet. My garden railway is in the shade all day thanks to two huge maple trees, so getting the UK style overgrown look is possible, the line doesnt see direct sun till fall and spring when the trees are bare. More pics as I make some more progress. Mike

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Wow that looks great! Got a fair bit of character to it. Once you have changed to 32mm, got a extension, and some steam running round, it will look brilliant!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:30 pm

I love the water wheel :) .

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Pete, Not meaning to have another dig mate but leave it out. Its each to there own on what scale they decide and what sort of motive power they choose!

Nice railway tho!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

penrhynpwr
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by penrhynpwr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Did some train spotting today on the WCLry. Caught the Stainz #2 on the late afternoon passenger extra. It will take some time to procure SM32 track, getting the line up and running is a higher priorty right now. I want to see how well the Billy looks on 45mm gauge rails. I like my Stainz and would like to still be able to run it, While I can change the wheel gauge on the cars, I cant easily do that on the Stainz. Lots of hacking to do that. Cheers Mike

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:40 pm

what other locos do you except Stainz and Billy?

penrhynpwr
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by penrhynpwr » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:54 pm

That is all, Billy will arrive tomorrow via post. I have had the Stainz for a couple years. We didnt have room at our last home for an outdoor layout, so the LGB only came out at Christmas time under the tree.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 am

lovely layout there :D