Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Brilliant!
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Victor Isle:96687 wrote: I am of the opinion that this line is of a good enough standard for the continuation of passenger services.
Phew, that must be a relief LR... Where's Victor off to next?

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Andrew:96700 wrote:
Victor Isle:96687 wrote: I am of the opinion that this line is of a good enough standard for the continuation of passenger services.
It must be said there were sighs of relief all round the railway when this generally favourable report was produced....!

Victor is supposed to be off to the Lindsay Joint Railways system next I believe, although if members allow I'd like to take him to a few NWAG lines first. It is rather unfortunate that I've got him in January/February when generally NWAG steamups are none existent or very weather dependant (and of course the weather so far this year has been plain awful)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Written in the best traditions of the old HMRI. Excellent! ;)
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 pm

what a bloody fantastic report well done .its funny we have had lots of pictures to see its made me smile lots and laugh .its been entertaining and interesting thank you very much for putting in the time and effort to keep us all amused very well done on a fantastic report

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:59 am

Keith S:94552 wrote:Rabbits actually aren't rodents; they're "Lagomorphae".
That sounds more like a single malt. Looks like I have a name for the distillery I have planned for my line!

Cheers!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

PeachBottom
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by PeachBottom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm

laalratty:96703 wrote:
Andrew:96700 wrote:
It must be said there were sighs of relief all round the railway when this generally favourable report was produced....!

Victor is supposed to be off to the Lindsay Joint Railways system next I believe, although if members allow I'd like to take him to a few NWAG lines first. It is rather unfortunate that I've got him in January/February when generally NWAG steamups are none existent or very weather dependant (and of course the weather so far this year has been plain awful)
Feel free to take him around first! :) We don't mind!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

"Peachbottom was reading over my shoulder and has gone a funny colour, and is also in the kitchen where the Very Sharp Objects live" ~TommyDodd

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks very much, as it happens an event has been planned for Sunday, at a line that I suspect Mr Isle really isn't going to like... ;)
"What the hell is that?"

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 pm

I understand that tomorrow I am going to be visiting another line in the locality of my current residence, the Silverdale Light Railway (North). Posters advertising this line at stations on the ANLR have a note at the bottom that says "Travelling on this haphazard railway is done entirely at your own risk". I am extremely worried about what awaits me. However, despite this, the ANLR appears to be sending one of its locos "Urien", and a rake of mixed stock for this event. I look forward to observing this engine in service.

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Today I had the complete misfortune to visit the Silverdale Light Railway (North). I honestly thought I had seen it all when it comes to bad garden railways. But this disastrous line really did take the biscuit. The Afonglas and Nant Llwyd Railway had sent a loco and some stock to visit, as had other local lines, and I really do not understand why!
Upon arrival at the principal terminus, Silverdale Road, I was initially impressed. The station was tidy, the trackwork generally neat, and there were even signs of a signalling installation
The signalbox was in good condition, and appeared to be in control of the station, the signalman seemed friendly enough although his working knowledge seemed a bit hazy and it was at this time that I started to become concerned.
In the yard was this Baguley-Drewery diesel, identical to Caeronwy Castle on the ANLR. It was fitted with vacuum brakes, as were the rest of the SLR locos. However, there was no sign of brakes on the stock.
I then proceeded to walk the length of the line, and rapidly things went downhill.
The state of the track out of Silverdale Road was terrible, to the extent that I would impose a speed limit of 10mph immediately. This level crossing had the signage, but the actual path was in terrible condition.
There was signalling, but it later conspired that this was disconnected and ignored by all.
This man said he was in charge of Permanent Way. However, his working knowledge seemed minimal at best, he smelled like he had had a liquid lunch and his speech was badly slurred and barely understandable. When asked what a Jim Crow, he said "what do yer mean Jim Crow's been seein' mi wife!" and then threatened to fight, causing me to flee at a brisk walk (he could do no more the stagger until he walked into a tree)
The first station, Waterslack, had ample facilities along with an obviously disused signalbox. The platform seemed to be rather poorly surfaced and un-even...

Victor Isle
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Victor Isle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:04 pm

The curve beyond Waterslack showed no sign of any ballast at all, although the actual trackbed seemed solid enough. The width of the embankment was also of grave concern, whilst to say the cross-levels were "variable" would be something of a complement.
Eaves Wood, the next station, was of similar quality to Waterslack, although it also had an (unsignalled) passing loop. The platform was of the same, poor, surface as Waterslack.
Beyond Eaves Wood, the line crosses the Heversham Estuary in two parts, firstly on this so called "viaduct", although frankly I would not want to travel across on anything lighter then a simplex diesel.
The second part was replaced a few years ago and in much better shape.
On the outskirts of the terminus, Heversham, I cam across these extremely odd fellows, they looked rather ill and not quite with it....
Finally, Heversham was reached, a station in poorer condition I'm not sure I have seen before. The track also looked extremely bad, worse then the "main line" and that wasn't good! The station itself appeared to be falling to bits.
From then on, trains started running, and it all went rapidly downhill...
First out was Urien with the ANLR train, which did perform to the standards I'd expect from this line, the driver taking care over the rough track.
Then, the extent of the signalling ignorance became apparent when the Baguley went straight past this semaphore set against it.
To my complete horror, the next train derailed and turned over by the gravel works, due to inadequate clearances between the works and the trains. I cannot believe such incompetence in this huge mistake. At this point, I ordered the trains to stop immediately, pending a visit by the RAIB, but to my horror, they carried on.
I was then damn near run down whilst inspecting some of the rolling stock, at which point I decided to get out, purely to save my own life...
However, to add insult to injury, I was then nearly deposited in the pond. Completely enraged, I left the SLR North vowing never to return, and beginning the process to get this line closed as soon as possible. I cannot believe my life has bought me to this shambolic line.

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm

The Driver of the derailed Train looks remarkably relaxed ! lmao.

and why was the inspector stood between the loops during shunting and !!!!!!

Without a Hi Viz Vest no less ! lol

Lookin forward to "The Baguely Incident" video. :twisted:

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Brilliant!
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Good riddance to bl@@dy nosey Victor Isle, I say! :twisted:
Ian of the SLR(N)

Snailrail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Snailrail » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am

Hilarious !
Excellent report and pictures. I hope Victor gets well paid for these traumatic experiences.

Brian

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:39 pm

LMS-Jools:96797 wrote:
and why was the inspector stood between the loops during shunting and !!!!!!

Without a Hi Viz Vest no less  !   lol
Make sure his superior does not see that, Vic might end up conviniently "lost in the post" (althought not accidental this time ;))
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm

LMS Jools made reference to a video. After a quick bit of editing, here is the said video.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/4J9xVSpRXjg?hl=en_GB& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/4J9xVSpRXjg?hl=en_GB&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It really was not a good day for Mr Isle...
"What the hell is that?"

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Like the video, I didn't know stationary diesel trains could push people over... ;)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 pm

brilliant well done on another good report.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Cracking video I have been made to jump many a time by train drivers who think it's funny to give you a close up blast of their horns when I worked on signal maintenance for BR in the 60s & 70s. It was surprising how a bloody great diesel can roll up silently behind you and give you a blast.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !