The Countdown...Steam is dead, long live steam!

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

The Countdown...Steam is dead, long live steam!

Post by steamyjim » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:39 pm

40 yeasr ago today steam officialy finished on British Railways

Monday the 11th 40 years ago steam is officially dead on mainline British Rail with the complettion of the 15 Guniea special run IT57  

I shall change the title of the thread as the day ticks down

RIP STEAM 1804-1968
Last edited by steamyjim on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Ah but steam lives on and again may run supreme :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 pm

Tornado ;)

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 pm

but never will i see a station filled with the sight and smell smoke and steam,
no whistles along the line, no chuffing.
No good sights.

I am jsut luky to have a mainline at the end of my garden, and some times get steam engine going up it, had the duchess of sutherland go past the other day.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:22 pm

5 days and counting...

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:54 pm

3 days

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:38 pm

mhlr wrote:Tornado ;)
And what a waste of money it is, there are loads of 'dead' locos at the NYMR, sitting, rusting, could of been done up with that money.

If steam was still on BR, would we take notice of it? No, because it would be part of every day life. There are so many preserved railways now that steam is as strong as it ever has been.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:49 pm

SillyBilly wrote:
mhlr wrote:Tornado ;)
And what a waste of money it is, there are loads of 'dead' locos at the NYMR, sitting, rusting, could of been done up with that money.

If steam was still on BR, would we take notice of it? No, because it would be part of every day life. There are so many preserved railways now that steam is as strong as it ever has been.
Oh dont start this again will. :lol:

Its not a waste of money, there jsut as much effort in restoring a loco than there is making it from scratch.
you have to transport it
store it
take it all to bits,
clean the bits
make more bits if needed
label things so you knwo where they go back to

i suppose all the other projects are a waste of money as well.
BR Standard 6mt 72010 hengist
the g5
the atlantic
3MT 2-6-2 82000 tank
LMS Patriot

British has accually built a steam engine, the first in years, yes some bits may have been made in other countries, but we made it, and put it together.
If they can get 3million to do it, then why not,

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:13 pm

none of the restored ones would not be alowd to do 100mph on the mainline,
thats why tornado was built, with modern materials, modern technology, much more reliable, so it can go fast.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Because other locos will get scrapped! How much has it cost? How long has it taken? Could of restored atleast 10 locos to mainline condition by now. Not too sure if the G5 is to similar to the M7s for my liking, but the atlantic is very different, the Saint is a good idea.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Because other locos will get scrapped! How much has it cost? How long has it taken? Could of restored atleast 10 locos to mainline condition by now. Not too sure if the G5 is to similar to the M7s for my liking, but the atlantic is very different, the Saint is a good idea.
i somehow doubt that they could have done 10.

If they want to build it, then they can.
Tornado will be around for year to come, and will maybe last longer than a restored loco,

i agree that there are locos that can and need to be restored, but leave them to the other groups and railways.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Who cares how fast it goes, its no longer about going places, its about enjoyment. What happens in 10 years time, it gets shoved in a museum because they can't find the money.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:35 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Who cares how fast it goes, its no longer about going places, its about enjoyment. What happens in 10 years time, it gets shoved in a museum because they can't find the money.
it is about speed, with modern trains getting faster, steam engine need to go faster so they dont clutter up the line to much.

one the speed limit on the east or west coast goes up to 120, then steamers wont be on there anymore.

and if it is shoved in a museum, then it will always be a reminder of what we can achive, and that 40 years on we can still make them, and still use them.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:46 pm

...wasting yet more money, and I thought football clubs were bad.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:06 pm

SillyBilly wrote:...wasting yet more money, and I thought football clubs were bad.
They are bad.
I thought that any BRITISH and maybe non british person who lieks steamers would be proud that a steam loco has accually been built, its steam!, we all like steam, its been built now, so we can move on to the restos,
what are you going to do, steal tornado and sell it to china for scrap, then restore some .

and didnt ffestiniog scratch build somthing?
could have restored somthing with the money.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Yes but we didn't already have a loco that is almost identical.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I have to agree with Andy on this, Tornado is a good idea personally, because of the reasons he stated, and if they made 49 A1s, why not round it off and make 50! There is lots of engines in need of restoration, and actually, making a brand new loco is probably cheaper than restoring one to a fully working engine, and you won't be worrying if you have slight cracks or whatever in the boiler, or parts that have broken, repaired so are weak therefore could break. As all of Tornado is new, there is no worry of that.

If they want to build a new loco, go ahead. Nothing stopping them, and its a damned good idea.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:49 pm

mhlr wrote:I have to agree with Andy on this, Tornado is a good idea personally, because of the reasons he stated, and if they made 49 A1s, why not round it off and make 50! There is lots of engines in need of restoration, and actually, making a brand new loco is probably cheaper than restoring one to a fully working engine, and you won't be worrying if you have slight cracks or whatever in the boiler, or parts that have broken, repaired so are weak therefore could break. As all of Tornado is new, there is no worry of that.

If they want to build a new loco, go ahead. Nothing stopping them, and its a damned good idea.
Thank you pete!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:29 pm

It does not cost £3m to overhaul a loco to mainline condition, with a large budget it could be £250,000 to overhaul one.

Its the fact that they wasted £3m on building a loco which is identical to the naked eye as one that we already had. Had they decided to build a LNER P2 (which there is talk of them doing next), then they'd of had all my support.

andysleigh
Driver
Driver

Post by andysleigh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:41 pm

SillyBilly wrote:It does not cost £3m to overhaul a loco to mainline condition, with a large budget it could be £250,000 to overhaul one.

Its the fact that they wasted £3m on building a loco which is identical to the naked eye as one that we already had. Had they decided to build a LNER P2 (which there is talk of them doing next), then they'd of had all my support.
the more the merrier.
Who cares if there are teo the same, there are a lot of mallard type locos that are the same.

alot of prairies.

alot of panniers.