R/C for IP Jack

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

R/C for IP Jack

Post by mhlr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 pm

I rarely ask for advise, but after breaking the chip on the speed controller in the making of 'River Helford' (IP eng Jack), I have decided I may as well fit R/C now instead. What is the best system to go for? I'd like a key fob type, where you click it to set the speed you want, and leave it going.
Brandbright seems obvious, but I think its £130 of something. Anyone used a different sort?

Thanks.

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 pm

sorry I cant help there mate still pondering R/C myself
its a bit of a wilderness here in Aus :roll:

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:40 pm

That key fob one from garden rail!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:56 am

SillyBilly wrote:That key fob one from garden rail!
Oh yeah, price??

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:18 am

They look good! Had any experience with them yourself?

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by made-in-england » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:35 pm

Canabilise a toy car for a RC system, thats what i would do. I know the Hornby one is as you descicbe but wether you could fit all tht little house in or no i dont know!
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:49 pm

made-in-england wrote:Canabilise a toy car for a RC system, thats what i would do. I know the Hornby one is as you descicbe but wether you could fit all tht little house in or no i dont know!
hornby is track power mate. I want to run 12v battery power.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:28 pm

made-in-england wrote:Canabilise a toy car for a RC system, thats what i would do. I know the Hornby one is as you descicbe but wether you could fit all tht little house in or no i dont know!
That works very well! I haven't done it myself but have seen it done very succesfully :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:51 pm

steamyjim wrote:
That works very well! I haven't done it myself but have seen it done very succesfully :D
I have tried it before unsuccessfully, but I will try again maybe on my Chunky... As for the Jack, I may go for the Brandbright option (RCS one) because I need speed control etc...

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi Pete,

Probably a slow reply for your question, but this is what I have for my Electric Locomotives.

Loco No.1 is fitted with a Mac Five Mk II Speed Controller ( http://www.brianjones.free-online.co.uk/page2.html ). This has Bi-Directional Autodrive which allows you to run the loco up to the required speed then smartly switch off the Transmitter, and the Mac Five will hold that speed until you switch the transmitter on again.

Loco No.2 is fitted with a M.Sonik-3 Loco ESC ( now replaced by http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/Pr ... r-loco.htm ). This has a BEC circuit thus allowing you to run the receiver off the loco batteries. No Autodrive facility though.

Loco No.3 - I got an Mtroniks marine ESC cheap off of ebay, but this only has an instant reverse (for braking) so not really suitable.

On Loco No.2, an IP Jessie, the metal cab roof has been replaced by a plastic one which has the aerial stuck on the inside. This stops the 'glitching', etc. that is affecting MTA's new arrival.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 pm

CCairns wrote:On Loco No.2, an IP Jessie, the metal cab roof has been replaced by a plastic one which has the aerial stuck on the inside. This stops the 'glitching', etc. that is affecting MTA's new arrival.
AHA!!!! I got the brandbright RCS Basic 2 system now, but as I said in the Jack page on the other section, I'm having problems with range. Its under the metal roof vent, but if I move it away from that, it works better. That solution is a great idea, make a plastic roof vent. I will have a go tomorrow probably with a plastic one. Cheers!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:22 pm

The key fob one is about £30-£40?

But the RCS is very good.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:19 am

mhlr wrote:
Oh yeah, price??
I take it back, been around to my friend's house tonight a whole circuit board needs building to get it to work. Don't take advice out of GardenRail unless you enjoy being an electronic genius, and the article is branded 'idiot proof'. Either buy it from Cliff Barker or don't bother. I doubt I'll be able to return the system as I've opened the packet either :( .