Accucraft choppers- what size mounting screws?

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Accucraft choppers- what size mounting screws?

Post by TommyDodd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Accy chopper couplings come with screws/bolts but no nuts as far as I can see. What size nut do I need (or tap should I buy)?
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

RSB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Accucraft choppers- what size mounting screws?

Post by RSB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 pm

TommyDodd:67843 wrote:Accy chopper couplings come with screws/bolts but no nuts as far as I can see. What size nut do I need (or tap should I buy)?
In the past when I've fitted them, I've disposed of what comes with the coupling (I believe they are 2mm screws) and used 8 ba hexagon headed bolts.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Accucraft choppers- what size mounting screws?

Post by GTB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:14 am

TommyDodd:67843 wrote:Accy chopper couplings come with screws/bolts but no nuts as far as I can see. What size nut do I need (or tap should I buy)?
The screws in the bag are M2 x 0.5 and are 5mm long with a 3mm hex head.

If your buffer beams are metal then you can drill and tap them. Tapping drill size is 1.6mm (or 1/16" is near enough) and you'll need an M2 x 0.5 tap. Tapping in these very small sizes is iffy and it's very easy to break the tap if you are doing it with a handheld tap wrench, especially in steel.

The equivalent size BA screw is 10BA. The hex head is the same size at 3mm and the clearance hole is 1.8mm (or 5/64"), so you don't need to drill out the holes in the diecast coupler housing.

If fitting them to wood, then you can use #1 wood screws.

Regards,
Graeme

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Thankyou both for quick and helpful responses.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)