Improving a kitbuild

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Improving a kitbuild

Post by laalratty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm

With no scratchbuild carriages in the workshops recently, I have been constructing an IP engineering freelance 4 wheel three compartment 3rd/brake composite. This is really back to basics for me, and so with two more awaiting construction I have been looking at what mods I could incorparate, using as many free materials as possible
The body as it is at the moment, painting very nearly finished
The guards compartment, nicely lifted with a two colour paint job and a pair of seats.
Third class has been enhanced by covering the seats in felt to represent basic upholstry. For the other two carriages I will add horizontal planking to the partitions, and also planking to the floor, inscribed using a pointed instrument (out with the compass again then...)
These bits were both built using spare wood from the kit. All of the overlays contain spare wood 2mm thick, it cuts really nicely and its mad not to put it to use! This is another pair of guards van seats, and a store compartment
The backs showing the construction
Finally, this is something for the next carriage. Seats backs for first class seats. Simply shapes from balsa and covered in more felt. I've followed Ffestiniog practice for colours, red for 3rd and blue for 1st
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Did you know that the blue 1st class sears on the Festibahn were covered in ex-BR first class seating material, hence the blue colour?

It's interesting to see this and I'll be watching progress with interest - the MDLR's bogie coaches have been sold to a line in Lincolnshire and I'm looking at something like these (or the Brandbright ones)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm

The IP lasercut carriages are LOVELY kits. I have pretty much every example of the freelanced range.
My break/comp. had lighting in the form of a tail light and interior lighting. The drop-light window frames were also modified so that some of the windows were "open" (the guards especially). Modeltown passengers and a guard were also added. I also added Brandbright end steps (with handrail), vacuum pipes and shell roof vents.
Have fun. :)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:51 pm

I have really had some fun detailing the interior of a couple of IP kits. Here is a picture of the inside of my "Gladstone" coach,

I made little cushions for the benches and seat backs, used little turned posts (fancy toothpicks!) for the bench legs, and also made some carpet and curtains. It really dresses up the coach.

Currently I'm building a goods brake van, and I'm building some benches and a little stove and brake standard to put inside. If you can see through the windows, I think it's important to detail the interior.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 am

Blue broadcloth was pretty common for first class in the latter part of the Victorian age too, Brian.  Several companies, including the Isle of Man make reference to it in the specs for new rolling stock.  

Another favourite was leather, which I think was used on the Leek and Manifold among others.  I'd love to see a replica L&M carriage riding the rails somewhere, they seem to have been very generously designed with 2+1 seating in 3rd class within an 8' body.  This suggests that they were rather more comfortable than contemporary (1904) mainline carriages. I think the Welshpool and Llanfair has the load gauge for an L42' by W8' by H10' vehicle....

FWIW I find that a shaped wooden bench compares favourably with some the ergonomically designed seating that one gets today.  Of course- if you look carefully - all the letters for the word "gnome" are in the word ergonomic which at least gives you a clue as to who might be comfortable in them!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 pm

MDLR:66365 wrote: It's interesting to see this and I'll be watching progress with interest - the MDLR's bogie coaches have been sold to a line in Lincolnshire and I'm looking at something like these (or the Brandbright ones)
Had a thought on that today. I reckon both kits are inclusive of most of the details you'll need. The Brandbright ones will contain them in the form of laser cut parts. The IP ones have them in the form of the wood left over from the overlays. I think the choice comes down to cost and your creativity to makes the details from bits of wood
"What the hell is that?"

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 pm

laalratty:66423 wrote:Had a thought on that today. I reckon both kits are inclusive of most of the details you'll need. The Brandbright ones will contain them in the form of laser cut parts. The IP ones have them in the form of the wood left over from the overlays. I think the choice comes down to cost and your creativity to makes the details from bits of wood
I'm lucky enough (and ham-fingered enough) to be able to afford the Brandbright ones - I made a bit of a cockup of my Director's Saloon = but hopefully have learned from my mistakes.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 pm

I'd love to see a replica L&M carriage riding the rails somewhere
Wells and Walsingham have a 10.25 inch gauge one for first class passengers!
Last edited by Dr. Bond of the DVLR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:28 pm

A REAL challenge for the zapgunners would be the seats & backs on the Ashover Light Railway coaches, as supplied. These were ply sheet with a wonderfully intricate pattern of perforations. I think the one in use as the Clay Cross bowling club pavillion still had them when I visited in nineteen-squiddlydoodah.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 pm

They did, but they were all rotten. A pattern has been made to reproduce the drillings in the new seats. The work of restoration is coming on steadily - there's been a lot of work done on the underframe, the partition is back where it should be, the sliding doors slide and a start has been made on the exterior planking. This is all happening about a mile from me - pictures, anyone??

(runs & hides)
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm

I'll be watching this thread with great interest :)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:66449 wrote:
I'd love to see a replica L&M carriage riding the rails somewhere
Wells and Walsingham have a 10.25 inch gauge one for first class passengers!
I have had the pleasure of riding in said coach... and I know the owner / builder of it and something rather brilliant that I must not speak of :P
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm

and something rather brilliant that I must not speak of
Al right, everyone wants to know now!
(to build)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Sorry can't say, respecting the owners privacy... but my god if you were to visit and you saw it you would no doubt want a 16mm version of it.

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm

So when will we be able to know ???
Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

laurence703:66527 wrote:Sorry can't say, respecting the owners privacy... but my god if you were to visit and you saw it you would no doubt want a 16mm version of it.
This summer the carriage was a bit run down, its being refurbished inside, spent a long time polishing the brasses on the carriage! Would the other thing happen to be hiding in the shed under a sheet as if so, I've seen it and do want one!
(to build)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 am

Getting back "on topic" ( ;) ) Nice work on the IP kit build! I'm surprised that you haven't tackled the glazing, which for me is the only weak point on these models.

I constructed my rake as-per-instructions (except a bit of extra detail in the guards compartment) because I wanted a quick and easy build - and they're cerainly that! :D
If I was to add any more, I reckon I'd use the sides as templates to cut some inner panels, then use some thinner glazing material sandwiched between the two.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:66530 wrote:
laurence703:66527 wrote:Sorry can't say, respecting the owners privacy... but my god if you were to visit and you saw it you would no doubt want a 16mm version of it.
This summer the carriage was a bit run down, its being refurbished inside, spent a long time polishing the brasses on the carriage!  Would the other thing happen to be hiding in the shed under a sheet as if so, I've seen it and do want one!
That be the one ;)

Anyways I like the padded seats! If I were a 16mm figure I'm sure they'd be comfortable!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 am

laurence703:66544 wrote:Anyways I like the padded seats! If I were a 16mm figure I'm sure they'd be comfortable!
Since we're determined to wander off topic here - I'm sure if you were a 16mm figure, then your 16mm resin/plastic/white metal posterior wouldn't really notice the difference! ;)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Tackled the windows yesterday afternoon, got them to stick eventually although I wouldn't like to put too much pressure on them. Having said that, the glazing is of much better quality compared to IP kits of pre laser cut days and sticks much better. So I'm sure you can imagine what the old stuff was like. Sticking it into recesses and holding with an inner panel would be a very good idea, although quite a bit of work.
As somebody suggested, I have made a couple of the droplights with the open posistion, so I'm going to have some glazing left over. By the time I've done the other two coaches I'm going to have a lot of glazing left over!
"What the hell is that?"