Page 1 of 1

Frost Heave

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm
by Narrow Minded
Typical! I'm on the last leg of a major re-alignment of part of my line and looking forward to an improvement in the weather to get it finished, then relax for a bit running trains - and I've experienced 'Frost Heave' on a couple of the "old" sections!!! :?

The wall to the left of Westwood platform and the right half of the platform itself ( strangely, the left half is untouched!? ) have been pushed up and forward towards the line, while the loop at Loscoe has lifted vertically!

This is the first time the W&LLR has been hit by this phenomena - anyone else suffered this year (yet) ???

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:22 pm
by laalratty
I've had it on a few sections the past couple of winters, it normally means I end up having to rebuild some of the slate wall round the headland, and my trackbed has cracked in a couple of places as a result of it but touch wood (!) it hasn't happened yet this year

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:12 am
by Narrow Minded
I've just been out and had a look at the affected bits and last nights temperatures have made it worse :cry:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:05 pm
by Sir Clothem Cap
I would try removing anything thats saveable as damage limitation is the only option until the cold snap passes.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 pm
by MDLR
Having seen Greg's line, his problem is that he can't put any down in the way of robust foundations as he rents the house, so I suspect this is something he has to live with................