Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I can't help thinking that they are missing a bigger market here. The demand for 16mm scale Quarry Hunslets is almost completely unsatisfied because so few are made commercially, yet they remain one of the most popular locos in this scale.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm

TonyW:65902 wrote:I can't help thinking that they are missing a bigger market here. The demand for 16mm scale Quarry Hunslets is almost completely unsatisfied because so few are made commercially, yet they remain one of the most popular locos in this scale.
Seconded!

thecsmann
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by thecsmann » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am

now that is strange i can not see a reason why they can not make a 16mm one it has been done(and make it 45mm there is space if you don't put the valve gear in the way) . still annoyed that it would be to much work to reguage my finescale one. (which so far i have only used once , i may have to get rid of it so i can get a black lew/lyd ... if it will go round my line).

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Its been in the pipeline a while and I alway thought they would go 16mm scale with it. I guess its easier to put caledonia cylinders and workings on an edrig chassis and plonk a hunslet body on it!

Not sure the 7/8ths market is big enough to sell these in mass batches though :?

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 pm

TonyW:65902 wrote:I can't help thinking that they are missing a bigger market here. The demand for 16mm scale Quarry Hunslets is almost completely unsatisfied because so few are made commercially, yet they remain one of the most popular locos in this scale.
Accucraft appeal more to the "mass market" and people that like to run trains. If it was to 16mm the complains would pour in that the runs times are too short and it wasn't available in 45mm (sorry Chris, but they just don't look right- that valve gear is in the way because that's where it's supposed to be!).

By going 7/8ths they'll manage to get a scale loco that still appeals to the scale fraternity, just a different scale. But it'll also appeal to the mass market of people that buy engines 'cos they look nice and they like them...

I'd be prepared to bet that a large number of people who like the super detailed, full scale thing and are happy to live with the short run times and limited performance that tends to result from small cylinders wouldn't buy one purely because of the prevailing anti- Accucraft snobbery.

That said, I wouldn't rule out a 16mm one in the future. Are Finescale still manufacturing them? I don't think Accucraft would bring out a 16mm model until they packed it in, as much of a mark of respect for Tony's fine work as anything else.
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Endless, Nameless:65918 wrote:Are Finescale still manufacturing them?
Now that is a good question. The several people that I know who have had one on order for over 3 years would probably say "No".
Tony Willmore

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Though they're very nice, I wouldn't call Finescale a reliable source!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

TonyW:65919 wrote:
Endless, Nameless:65918 wrote:Are Finescale still manufacturing them?
Now that is a good question. The several people that I know who have had one on order for over 3 years would probably say "No".
Got to admit I'd save me pennies for a 16mm Hunslet, but probably won't bother with a 7/8ths one...
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:07 pm

To be honest, sitting on the fence between Freelance and Prototypical, I'd be more than happy with a "Hunslike" especially if it came with performance and price tag to compensate for any "scale" shortcomings ;)

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 pm

thecsmann:65916 wrote:now that is strange i can not see a reason why they can not make a 16mm one it has been done(and make it 45mm  there is space if you don't put the valve gear in the way) .   still annoyed that it would be to much work to reguage my finescale one.  (which so far i have only used once , i may have to get rid of it so i can get a black lew/lyd ... if it will go round my line).
what type is it, cab or no cab?
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

thecsmann
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by thecsmann » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:19 am

this one here it is on its only run last year...

MAYBACH
Cleaner
Cleaner

7/8th Hunslet

Post by MAYBACH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi all.
I think the problem is that ours is a very unusual scale in the model railway world, in that we merge and mix our stuff and want things to run on two different gauge's of track.

I'm sure that if anyone produced a readily available quality R-T-R Hunslet in true 16mm at a good price then people would buy them, even if you couldn't run them on 45mm! A small loco is what it is and most people would accept it's limitations.
However, Accucraft is going down a different route with this. I think people are forgetting that 7/8th is a completely different scale! Not a bastardised 16mm or LGB thing.

7/8th is relatively new by comparison and is a relatively untapped market other than a few little kits. There are PLENTY of people out there with 45mm track that want a loco that will look good and run for an acceptable length of time, so a 7/8th Hunslet seems a great choice, especialy at that price!  Accucraft are not so much ignoring the 16mm market but rather breaking out into a new and as yet untapped area. Don't forget they are also now going flat out into the 1/32nd G1 live steam arena too!

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by MAYBACH on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Just a point of interest, how wide is a full size quarry hunslet? Because if Accucraft are going to build it to true scale, then when it's put on 32mm track, the overhang will be massive.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Matt:65968 wrote:Just a point of interest, how wide is a full size quarry hunslet?
Most are 5ft 4in wide, with the bigger ones such as JERRY M and LILLA being 6ft or 6ft 1in wide, which makes them 84mm to 96mm wide in 16mm/ft, and 117mm to 133mm wide in 7/8ths.
Tony Willmore

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:51 am

7/8ths may be a niche scale but its popularity appears to be growing, so I think it was only a matter of time before one of the major manufacturers took the plunge. After all, where would 16mm be today if Archangel hadn't started building Rheidols? And if you're going to take a risk on launching into a new scale, it makes sense to start with a popular prototype. Indeed, if people have their hearts set on Quarry Hunslets, this news might encourage them to start out in, or even switch to, 7/8ths. (But I think committed sixteen-millers need not worry; after all, 00 hasn't killed off 0-gauge, has it?)
TonyW:65969 wrote:84mm to 96mm wide in 16mm/ft, and 117mm to 133mm wide in 7/8ths.
Of course, a 7/8ths Hunslet on 32mm would in theory be an 18" gauge prototype. I wonder how the NHMR's Hunslet 0-4-0WT measures up?

taliesin
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by taliesin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 pm

That said, I wouldn't rule out a 16mm one in the future. Are Finescale still manufacturing them? I don't think Accucraft would bring out a 16mm model until they packed it in, as much of a mark of respect for Tony's fine work as anything else.

Thats a lovely thought, hopefully Tony and Ian do respect each others work but i would imagine the decision is somewhat more hard headed.
Accucraft have stated that it is their policy to make prototypical models to scale so that rules out 45mm in such a small model and they would be unable to use very few, if any existing parts. The other thing about Quarry Hunslet's is that although they are a very recognizable shape there are actually lots of differences between them, both dimensionally and the specification. It would almost be a case of modeling one of the breed and then the purchaser accepting that if he changes the name and number then his model is somewhat compromised. Even Chris Tolhurst does not offer every single variation that exists.
Accucraft have recently announced that they are going to release several gauge one engines, four of which will have many interchangeable parts which i feel tends to back the theory about using existing parts, but hopefully one day a Quarry Hunslet will be freely available as there is a vast market for them, cheers Rob
p.s The shop at cleethorpes promised great things regarding Quarry Hunslet's but it all seems to have gone rather quiet........

ianfolland
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by ianfolland » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

TonyW:65969 wrote:84mm to 96mm wide in 16mm/ft, and 117mm to 133mm wide in 7/8ths.
"Of course, a 7/8ths Hunslet on 32mm would in theory be an 18" gauge prototype. I wonder how the NHMR's Hunslet 0-4-0WT measures up?"

My Hunslet is 118mm wide. The 18 inch gauge Kimberley Bagnalls are 6ft wide..... (http://steam-locomotives-south-africa.b ... -mine.html)

I believe the first batch of the Accucraft 7/8ths Quarry Hunslet is almost completely spoken for so there must be a demand.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am

For those who didn't makie it to the Llanfiar show, pictures of the Hunslet have now been posted on the Accucraft website:

http://www.accucraft.uk.com/2012/09/acc ... mber-news/

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:54 am

That is very nice indeed, I don't know about the rest of you but I think it's going to be responsible for an increase in interest in 7/8th scale modelling.