The continuious quiz

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

Andrew:87455 wrote:How about the Titanic museum in Belfast
You've got it - this is on the slipway where Titanic was built. View in the opposite direction:

There are 8 parallel lines (now just a short length of each), two down either side of each slipway.

Your turn!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 am

hussra:87458 wrote: Your turn!
Eek! That's the scary bit! I'm afraid I don't have a vast collection of photos of obscure NG lines, or an encyclopaedic knowledge of the same, so how about some trivia?

Who met their doom in a spectaclar incident on a 2' gauge line in 1985?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

May Day in "A View to a Kill".
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 pm

hussra:87461 wrote:May Day in "A View to a Kill".
Too easy! Could've been a whole lot worse if she hadn't exploded herself of course, given that the San Andreas fault seems to run under Amberley... Are any of the green "Zorrin" tippers still there?

Congrats hussra, back to you again...

Andrew.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Outline the chain of connections between this photo and a well-known Christmas carol.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Hmmm, was this a bit too tricky? Has anyone got even part-way there and want to pause to share their thoughts so far?
hussra:87466 wrote:Outline the chain of connections between this photo and a well-known Christmas carol.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Locomotive is DLR No.2 "E of O", owned by G R, who applied to allow alcohol to be served in their Railway refreshment room.

The connection to a well known Christmas carol is obviously too subtle for me!

Chris Cairns.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:15 am

Chris Cairns:87531 wrote:Locomotive is DLR No.2 "E of O", owned by G R, who applied to allow alcohol to be served in their Railway refreshment room.

The connection to a well known Christmas carol is obviously too subtle for me!

Chris Cairns.
Excellent start. The connection is tortuous! Next step is to think about the location, its former use, and other related categories of persons connected with that use.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:47 am

hussra wrote:The connection is tortuous!
Sorry but 2 days of work at our railway group now has more priority.

Does it end with "The 12 days of Christmas"?

Chris Cairns.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 am

Chris Cairns:87550 wrote:
hussra wrote:The connection is tortuous!
Sorry but 2 days of work at our railway group now has more priority.

Does it end with "The 12 days of Christmas"?

Chris Cairns.
No problem, just meant to be a bit of fun. No connection with the 12 days of Christmas.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:05 am

Alcohol can give people red noses, so I'm guessing the driver had a few and was named Rudolph the red nose reign dear... That or the loco had a red lamp on the front?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Hmmmmm, this seems to be harder than I thought. (I'd have thought IrishPeter would enjoy this one.)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Obviously asking too much this time.

Last time you posted a photo and it was correctly identified.

This time the photo has been correctly identified - nil points. The railway has also been identified - still no point. The owner has been correctly identified - yet still no point.

I'm currently away from home and the only way to get BT WiFi is to hold my mobile up to an external window and even then I lost the signal trying to reply to this Topic.

I'm out.

Chris Cairns.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, I can only apologise that my question-setting doesn't meet with your approval, and invite you to post a question of your own as you have got the furthest to date.

I had thought a more cryptic question might be enjoyed by some, and have tried offering further clues, but no takers so far - fair enough. There have been many and various types of question in the thread over the last 28 pages, if you read back through them - it hasn't all been "identify what's in this photo", though of course there have been a good number of those.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Richard, I'm not trying to be awkward but it was difficult to answer your additional clues without giving the bag away.

OK, so the park in which the DLR runs was previously a Deanery. So apart from Deans or Vicars who else used it? Other religious positions hence my 12 Days of Christmas answer. However if you are referring to an NHS Deanery I cannot see a link from medicine or dentistry to a popular Christmas carol.

Perhaps I'm just being dumb - what links a Deanery to a Christmas carol?

Chris Cairns.

PS - I think the lack of participants is another indication of the apathy within this Forum (discussed on the Great Forum Inspection Topic in Projects).

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:37 pm

In the Midwinter?

Good King Wenceleas?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Chris Cairns:87892 wrote:Perhaps I'm just being dumb - what links a Deanery to a Christmas carol?
OK, I think we'll have to give up - here goes. The Deanery was, up to 1869, the residence of the Dean of Raphoe. Among its visitors would inevitably have been William Alexander, who was Bishop of Derry and Raphoe between 1867 and 1896 and whose wife was Cecil Frances Alexander, who wrote "Once in Royal David's City".

The loco, as you have worked out is "Earl of Oakfield", a Keef diesel which runs on the 15" gauge Difflin Lake Railway, which runs around the grounds of Oakfield Park, formerly the Deanery for Raphoe cathedral.

I really think you should set the next question.

And to finish, a few more photos of the railway taken in mid August.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

What was I?

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Built using bullhead rail to a total length of approx. 0.3 miles and a gauge of 3' 6.5" (some sources quote 3' 6") I was open for just over 41 years spanning 2 centuries.

Like other rail mounted systems in my later years I no longer carried passengers - they arrived by a Rolls Royce car instead!

What was I?

Chris Cairns.
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Looks like I suffered the Aberdeen version of "Groundhog Day" earlier today.

Tried using my iPhone, BT WiFi (holding my iPhone against a window to get a signal past the granite) and logging into the Forum, but just ended up in a continuous loop. Logged in, typed my reply to Matt's answer, pressed submit and the Log In screen appears. Log In, no message saved so type it in again and on pressing Submit up pops the Log In screen again. Gave up after 3 attempts.

So back in a rather wet Glasgow here is some more info. After closure the 2 tram bodies were used as a summer house and later they were then used to statically rebuild No. 2 which currently resides in the Grampian Transport Museum. As that is a private museum it will cost £9:50 to view No.2. At least free to view outside the Museum is ex Aberdeen Gas Works No.3, a Barclay that was previously with our railway group in Ayrshire, and a stationary engine which gets occasionally steamed. Sadly the adjacent Alford Valley Railway no longer runs a steam locomotive as IIRC it was sold to reduce rising costs.

Here is a short clip of the tramway in 1910-1919 - http://www.britishpathe.com/video/crude ... ear-castle

You have the baton Matt!

Chris Cairns.